Author Topic: Bill Introduced to Use or Sell Gov Office Space  (Read 224 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Bill Introduced to Use or Sell Gov Office Space
« on: March 13, 2024, 02:54:33 PM »
Pessimistic me doesn't think much will become of this, but it's a good effort. A bill is being introduced that would force fedgov to either use buildings at 60% of capacity or better, or stop renting/sell them.

Back when I was working, while most buildings  I was in or visited were pretty full, I would still once in a while go to some meeting in another city and walk into a practically deserted fed building, usually at the regional or higher level (which meant a larger building) which continued to house a handful of people rather than moving them somewhere else.

I can only imagine what some of the larger gov offices look like post covid with the high rate of teleworking going on, and from people I've talked to at least, expecting that teleworking is now their right and the status quo. I recall videos that some guy put on youtube not too long ago showing completely deserted campuses just outside the Beltway, and it appears this bill is focused on that because within some radius of DC is where this is the worst.

Anyway, I guess we'll see what comes of it, but I'd be interested to find out how much fedgov money is invested in abandoned buildings and maintaining and/or paying leases on abandoned or near empty buildings.

https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2024/03/13/federal-agencies-will-be-forced-to-sell-off-buildings-under-republican-claw-backs-n2393913
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Bill Introduced to Use or Sell Gov Office Space
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 04:10:39 PM »
"Use" will just be defined as high cost storage or contingency.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 05:56:29 PM »
As part of our system's cost-cutting, we are selling office buildings and cancelling office space leases like mad. No more return to the office, it is now more like you don't have an office any more so work from home full time.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 06:32:11 PM »
They would do this anyway naturally if they paid the same taxes they impose on everyone else.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 09:33:32 AM »
They would do this anyway naturally if they paid the same taxes they impose on everyone else.
Or they had realistic budgets and were forced to stick to them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 09:40:22 AM »
If you buy a politician do you get his office too, or is that extra?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 11:26:08 AM »
If you buy a politician do you get his office too, or is that extra?
You can't buy a politician any more, because today's dishonest rascals don't stay bought. At best you can rent them for a while.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 01:10:16 PM »
You can't buy a politician any more, because today's dishonest rascals don't stay bought. At best you can rent them for a while.

Even then, it's more like renting a time share ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 01:30:56 PM »
Even then, it's more like renting a time share ...

Or a whore......

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 05:38:36 PM »
Or a whore......

Quote from: Ronald Reagan
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain