Author Topic: The Biden / Harris Daycare Plan  (Read 277 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Biden / Harris Daycare Plan
« on: March 13, 2024, 04:25:43 PM »
Note: There may be more details than the Twitchy story, but I'm going to go ahead and headline rant anyway.

How would this not cost taxpayers truckloads of money? They want to cap childcare at $10/day, while they also insist on living wage being $15/hr, which I assume includes childcare workers. How is a daycare supposed to make a profit? And yes, I said profit, because who's doing stuff like this for free or having it cost them money? You might as well not work.

I think the Twitchy example is pretty fair at two workers per 20 kids. Some might even say that it's too many kids per worker. Add in rent and stuff like insurance, which has got to be expensive for that industry, and it's a money loser. Which might be what they want, so they can create state or state funded childcare / woke education facilities via taxpayer dollars. Also, somebody has to pay for the "free" preschool for all four year olds.

https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2024/03/13/kamala-harris-daycare-preschool-n2393918

EDIT: That's $10/day, not $10/hr.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
Re: The Biden / Harris Daycare Plan
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 06:09:10 PM »
The .gov would subsidize the rest of the costs. 

What could possibly go wrong?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 06:30:34 PM »
Modern American government doesn't know how to make things actually cheaper, although there are many ways to do it, making it cheaper is not a tool in their toolbox. Modern government only knows how to make things more expensive, usually by subsidizing them without appropriate strings attached. When that increases costs, the solution is more subsidy of course.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 06:45:36 PM »
Modern government only knows how to make things more expensive, usually by subsidizing them without appropriate strings attached. When that increases costs, the solution is more subsidy of course.

The gov won't care about the cost. It will be worth the strings they attach, which won't be the sensible strings that you probably had in mind.

"Hey daycare - you charge parents $10/day, and we'll subsidize you another $90/day. Oh by the way, here's a curriculum we want you to teach the kids while they're in your care, or no subsidy."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 07:09:00 PM »
The gov won't care about the cost. It will be worth the strings they attach, which won't be the sensible strings that you probably had in mind.

"Hey daycare - you charge parents $10/day, and we'll subsidize you another $90/day. Oh by the way, here's a curriculum we want you to teach the kids while they're in your care, or no subsidy."

If the going rate for daycare is $100/day (and in Seattle that may be low) that's not so bad.  Don't like the curriculum, refuse the subsidy and take the kids whose parents value that independence.

But we all know that's not what happens. The going rate will generally be lower, making it too lucrative to refuse the subsidy.  And then there won't be any options other than subsidized daycare in most areas.  And eventually it will be illegal to charge more than the $10 eliminateing any unsubsidized daycare.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 07:53:50 AM »
. . . And then there won't be any options other than subsidized daycare in most areas.  And eventually it will be illegal to charge more than the $10 eliminateing any unsubsidized daycare.
And the next step will be to make it mandatory . . . "For The Children" of course. The earlier the grooming starts, the better.
"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 12:00:10 PM »
I’m really surprised the government hasn’t made a grab for public schools to be extended for infant to pre-K yet since they do K-12.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 09:34:37 PM »
I immediately assumed we were talking about a plan to provide daycare for Biden & Harris. Goodness knows they need something to keep them out of trouble during the day.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2024, 11:07:44 PM »
I immediately assumed we were talking about a plan to provide daycare for Biden & Harris. Goodness knows they need something to keep them out of trouble during the day.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”