Author Topic: Take down rifle  (Read 220 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Take down rifle
« on: March 13, 2024, 07:20:55 PM »
dogmush's thread about scout rifles got me thinking again about how, when my kids are off payroll (a while yet, honestly) I'd like to buy a new rifle.  I still harbor hope/delusions of a trip to Alaska for moose or caribou, or even just packing into a neat area of Washington for mule deer or elk.

As such a lightweight takedown rifle in .300WSM or comparable cartridge is what I want.  Only gun I know of that isn't a $$$$ custom job is the Browning BLR.  Under 7lbs (unloaded, no scope), available in .300WSM, and as a takedown.

But, since Covid (maybe Obama) I haven't seen any actually for sale.  So, what are my options? 

I want a .300wsm in part for the trajectory/range, so some options for take downs in 45/70 or pistol calibers are non-starters.

Eta: bolt action is fine, as is obviously lever action.  Heck, a decent semiautomatic would be fine too.

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Take down rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 07:50:40 PM »
The trade off isn’t worth the takedown option. Find a relatively light compact rifle with low power scope and sling. Save a bunch of money, get a better rig.
Maybe spend the money on a better backpack that will accommodate a rifle.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 08:06:40 PM »
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1041106569

They are proud of it though. Dang.

I tend to agree with Kingcreek that the takedown might not be worth that much coin. Compact rifle with a folding stock chassis maybe?

You can also get a .300 wsm upper for an AR10 platform.   That's kinda takedown rifle if you squint just right.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 11:34:43 PM »
The trade off isn’t worth the takedown option. Find a relatively light compact rifle with low power scope and sling. Save a bunch of money, get a better rig.
Maybe spend the money on a better backpack that will accommodate a rifle.

Agreed.
There are some rifles that are called "mountain rifles" as they are meant to be carried for long distances without wearing out the hunter.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 11:54:31 PM »
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1041106569

They are proud of it though. Dang.

I tend to agree with Kingcreek that the takedown might not be worth that much coin. Compact rifle with a folding stock chassis maybe?

You can also get a .300 wsm upper for an AR10 platform.   That's kinda takedown rifle if you squint just right.

AR-10's are heavy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 07:27:59 AM »
The only takedown rifle I've ever been interested in is the Savage 99, and that's simply because I love 99s.

I've never seen the supposed utility of take down rifles, to be honest.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 09:37:21 AM »
I've never seen the supposed utility of take down rifles, to be honest.

You don't need to see the utility.   I want it.  I have my reasons.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 09:55:43 AM »
You don't need to see the utility.   I want it.  I have my reasons.

Did I say YOU couldn't have one?

The fact that you want one doesn't change my view on them, and my view on them doesn't change the fact that you want one.

So get one and I'll still question their utility.

And you won't give a *expletive deleted*it about my opinion and I won't give a *expletive deleted*it about your desires.

And we'll both be happy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 08:21:51 PM »
I recently picked up a Savage 116 Stainless Weather Warrior bolt rifle in . 300 WSM for Elk hunting and am working up some loads for it.  While not a take down, it’s not very heavy.  Factory ammo is over $50 for 20 rounds, which is crazy.  I’m glad I reload.