Author Topic: St Paddy's Day  (Read 194 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
St Paddy's Day
« on: March 17, 2024, 02:58:41 PM »
Just finished eating a Guinness Irish stew that I started at 0500 this morning in the slow cooker. Washed down with some more Guinness while listening to The Cranberries and Imelda May. Properly Irish.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: St Paddy's Day
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 03:46:06 PM »
The Guiness stew sounds really good.

You make soda bread with it?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 04:06:07 PM »
The Guiness stew sounds really good.

You make soda bread with it?

I was going to, but got lazy and just went with the stew.

The stew was kind of an amalgam. I watched several different youtubes, but only liked parts from each of them, so kinda mixed parts of them all together.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 04:34:38 PM »
We’re having Reuben pizza tonight.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 05:01:27 PM »
I was going to do cabbage rolls, boiled potatoes and tomato sauce in solidarity with the lesser known Leprechauns from the hidden areas  of  the Bialowieza Forest but was outvoted many to one by SWMBO so we will be having the traditional corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and rye bread. Having the rye bread and corned beef already has tomorrow's meal taken care of, Reubens with Russian dressing, because that is what is right.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 05:50:20 PM »
so we will be having the traditional corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and rye bread. Having the rye bread and corned beef already has tomorrow's meal taken care of, Reubens with Russian dressing, because that is what is right.

I bought some Wagyu corned beef at Costco (by Snake River Farms from Idaho actually) last week with the intension of making that today, but then I stumbled upon the slow cooker stew, so the corned beef waits in the freezer for another day.  =)

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 08:26:39 PM »
We did corned beef and potatoes.  Did the beef in the Ninja Foodi pressure cooker, which takes the cook time down to about 1:15 total.  Cup of beef stock, cup of beer, whole head of garlic cut in half, and a quartered onion.  Potatoes I boiled half redskins, then smash-fried in the cast iron skillet.  About as Irish as this German protestant gets.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 07:08:36 AM »
Given that I'm not Irish (Welsh German, primarily), and don't really do the green thing, I decided to celebrate a bit differently.

I bagged myself a leprechaun with my long bow and then slow roasted it in the oven with sauerkraut.

It was magically delicious!

But, now that we're past St. Rat's ass Day, I'm going to pick up a couple of corned beeves on clearance sale and throw them in the freezer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 02:45:51 PM »
Given that I'm not Irish (Welsh German, primarily), and don't really do the green thing, I decided to celebrate a bit differently.

I bagged myself a leprechaun with my long bow and then slow roasted it in the oven with sauerkraut.

It was magically delicious!

But, now that we're past St. Rat's ass Day, I'm going to pick up a couple of corned beeves on clearance sale and throw them in the freezer.

I will do the same in the next week or so, keeping an eye on clearance prices. I will use the corned beef for sandwiches. I was kind of disappointed in the corned beef we bought. Bland would be a good word for it. I think I am going to wait for different cuts of meat, like thick London broil, to go on sale and cure them myself.  Nothing wrong with corned beef round.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2024, 04:54:32 PM »
I've thought about curing my own corned beef a couple of times, but never gotten around to it.

I've done my own bacon a couple of times, once using Alton Brown's wet (Wiltshire cure) and once using a traditional dry salt cure that tied up my refrigerator for the better part of a week +.

If I do it again, I'll do the Wiltshire cure.

Damned good bacon, though.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2024, 11:27:48 PM »
I did corned beef and potatoes, but instead of boiled cabbage I had bacon-fortified sauerkraut. Yuengling rather than Guinness.

I cook my (store bought) corned beef by simmering it at 190-205 for about 3 hours - in addition to the included spice packets I add half a quartered sweet onion, black peppercorns, coriander, mustard seed, whole cloves, a little rosemary, a pinch of cinnamon, and more fresh garlic than most published recipes. 

Today, modified & improved Reubens - dark rye, corned beef, bacon-fortified sauerkraut, mayo (rather than Russian or Thousand Island), and Havarti rather than swiss cheese. Sliced dill pickle on the side. Yuengling again.

I have thinly-sliced leftover corned beef wrapped up in sandwich-size portions in the deep freeze for whenever I want a Reuben.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 06:47:21 AM »
"Today, modified & improved Reubens - dark rye, corned beef, bacon-fortified sauerkraut, mayo (rather than Russian or Thousand Island), and Havarti rather than swiss cheese. Sliced dill pickle on the side."

My mouth is watering.

Of all of the sandwiches, the Reuben is the greatest of them. King among kings.