Author Topic: Why Smart People Believe Stupid Things  (Read 333 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Why Smart People Believe Stupid Things
« on: March 20, 2024, 09:15:44 AM »
Why Smart People Believe Stupid Things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Peima-Uw7w

What causes Delusion? The prevailing view is that people adopt false beliefs because they’re too stupid or ignorant to grasp the truth. But just as often, the opposite is true: many delusions prey not on dim minds but on bright ones. And this has serious implications for education, society, and you personally.

Neat video.  Illustrates a bit of the difference between logical reasoning versus rationalization of things we want to believe.  A bit political.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
Re: Why Smart People Believe Stupid Things
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 09:29:39 AM »
. . . Illustrates a bit of the difference between logical reasoning versus rationalization of things we want to believe . . .
You can't believe something is true just because you WANT it to be true, like you can't believe everything bad about someone you don't like. For example, I despise the Clintons. But when I first heard about Q-Anon a couple of years ago I tried to Google the group, and found a website that alleged Hillary was kidnapping and murdering little children for use as sacrifices in satanic rituals that included devouring the victims. Now, tell me the Clinton foundation is corrupt, and I'll pay attention. Allege Hillary is a murderous child kidnapping cannibal - no. Just . . . no.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 09:47:31 AM »
I recently participated in a book study discussion group (new for me).
Adam Grant “Think Again” - the art of knowing what you don’t know.
He is an organizational psychologist. He analyzes and explains all that.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 10:19:37 AM »
Neat video.  Illustrates a bit of the difference between logical reasoning versus rationalization of things we want to believe.  A bit political.

Thanks for posting that. Good info.

I would contend it is refreshingly apolitical, or at least pokes the bastardized version of politics we have today right in the eye. Yes, he includes political leanings as examples, but does so in an objective and scholarly context.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 09:07:24 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 05:14:44 PM »
Advertising.  PR.  Repetitive impacts of the same concepts.

None are immune to that.

Except you, of course.

And members of the Supreme Court of the United States.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 05:45:48 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 07:45:51 PM »
You can't believe something is true just because you WANT it to be true, ...

Sure I can.

The fact that I believe it doesn't mean it IS true, but I can believe anything I want.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 12:47:47 AM »
Sure I can.

The fact that I believe it doesn't mean it IS true, but I can believe anything I want.

The problem is you might act on your belief to the detriment of others.

A very common problem.

The exact "belief" is immaterial, but I am amused by the thought that oil protestors should go all the way with their "beliefs." They ought to be required to remove every article of their clothes which was dependent on petroleum products before they hit the streets.

Amusing, wot?

Terry "Grins a lot at some news, cries a lot at others," 230RN
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 02:01:27 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 08:45:02 AM »
The problem is you might act on your belief to the detriment of others.

A very common problem.

The exact "belief" is immaterial, but I am amused by the thought that oil protestors should go all the way with their "beliefs." They ought to be required to remove every article of their clothes which was dependent on petroleum products before they hit the streets.

Amusing, wot?

Terry "Grins a lot at some news, cries a lot at others," 230RN

I might have to rewatch to video to confirm if it was addressed, but the other way it happens is people join a group.  People who are unhappy and lack direction/purpose, try to satisfy that need by joining a group or crusade and taking on the goals of the group as their own.  Their identity becomes the same the group (See Cult). 

This isn't always a cult.  IMO, it can often it can be pretty low key or maybe just identifying with a political group.  I imagine that depends greatly on the group and the individual. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 09:10:08 AM »
This isn't always a cult.  IMO, it can often it can be pretty low key or maybe just identifying with a political group.  I imagine that depends greatly on the group and the individual. 

This. People tend to cluster in like-minded groups if for nothing more than the comfort of non-confrontational social interaction.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 09:58:41 AM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 09:56:46 AM »
I work with a bunch of people who are by and large academically intelligent.  But some of the things I hear them say make me wonder if there is such a thing as compartmentalized intelligence.  I have heard attorneys who are very smart when it comes to the law say absolutely stupid things like "we could end all of this violent crime if we just got rid of guns."  I have some to believe that some people either hear something from authority figures so many times that they accept it as truth, no matter how smart the listener otherwise is.

I have a Democrat friend who has said to me before that elections in the US have essentially become the biggest reality show on TV.  We no longer have the best and brightest, with the best plans and ideas, seeking office.  We have contestants who are competing to see who can win the minds of the most voters, by using media, charisma, lies, and sometimes sheer volume to capture the minds of those heading to the polls.

Makes me want to find myself an island
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2024, 10:04:25 AM »
I work with a bunch of people who are by and large academically intelligent.  But some of the things I hear them say make me wonder if there is such a thing as compartmentalized intelligence.

Working in academia I can absolutely confirm this true. Being intellectually adept in a specific discipline while being dumb as a brick everywhere else is common. Unfortunately, people in those instances often equate their siloed acumen to unilateral expertise.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 02:10:49 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2024, 10:10:42 AM »
I work with a bunch of people who are by and large academically intelligent.  But some of the things I hear them say make me wonder if there is such a thing as compartmentalized intelligence. 

I was writing a long ass response in agreement, but then realized this says everything I wanted to say, much more succinctly.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2024, 11:14:21 AM »
I work with a bunch of people who are by and large academically intelligent.  But some of the things I hear them say make me wonder if there is such a thing as compartmentalized intelligence.  I have heard attorneys who are very smart when it comes to the law say absolutely stupid things like "we could end all of this violent crime if we just got rid of guns."  I have some to believe that some people either hear something from authority figures so many times that they accept it as truth, no matter how smart the listener otherwise is.

I have a Democrat friend who has said to me before that elections in the US have essentially become the biggest reality show on TV.  We no longer have the best and brightest, with the best plans and ideas, seeking office.  We have contestants who are competing to see who can win the minds of the most voters, by using media, charisma, lies, and sometimes sheer volume to capture the minds of those heading to the polls.

Makes me want to find myself an island
On the bolded, when has that not been the case when it comes to elections?  Been that way for a long time at least with a portion of voters.  I think people just finally get to the point of noticing.  But they still don't apply it to the politicians they like. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2024, 01:31:52 PM »

I have come to believe that some people either hear something from authority figures so many times that they accept it as truth, no matter how smart the listener otherwise is.

Advertising.  PR.  Repetitive impacts of the same concepts.

None are immune to that.

Terry
:rofl:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 01:13:27 AM by 230RN »