Author Topic: Duralast floor jacks, info please?  (Read 326 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Duralast floor jacks, info please?
« on: March 25, 2024, 04:43:52 PM »
Does anyone here have experience with this jack, or similar jacks under the Duralast label?

https://www.autozone.com/engine-and-vehicle-lift/jack/p/duralast-3-ton-garage-jack/298922_0_0

Pondering a purchase. Thanks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
Re: Duralast floor jacks, info please?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 04:56:11 PM »
Basic Chinese crap jack.  It'll pick stuff up, but won't handle side loads well at all, is kinda annoying (wheels and casters will stick when you lift stuff), and when the seals start to leak pretty hard to find parts for unless you tear it down and go to a hydraulics shop.

Harbor Freight sells pretty much the same one under the Daytona name for the same price, except you can always find a 25% off super coupon for that one.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 05:07:53 PM »
OK

Due to [reasons] I have ~ $160 to spend on a floor jack, but my options are limited to Autozone or Amazon.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 05:10:37 PM »
Frankly, I'd go to Harbor Freight - I see a LOT of their jacks getting abused all to hell and back, and coming back for seconds...
Blog under construction

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 05:35:58 PM »
Have you looked on your local Craigslist or FB marketplace for a good used one. Floor jacks go really cheap on the secondary market and with the left over money you can go out to eat or buy ammo. :)

bob

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 05:41:09 PM »
You can even find some new ones - had a guy run out the front door which one of our 3.5 ton ones, in the box, a while back.
Blog under construction

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 06:06:12 PM »
I have that jack. It came in a kit with 2 jack stands and a wheel chock. I picked it up on a charity auction for $25 (retail was supposed to be $89.
I use it and the stands for smaller stuff, garden tractor etc. it is too short and whimpy to use on my Jeep. It would work on the ford fusion but I have bigger and better available.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 06:06:50 PM »
Does anyone here have experience with this jack, or similar jacks under the Duralast label?

https://www.autozone.com/engine-and-vehicle-lift/jack/p/duralast-3-ton-garage-jack/298922_0_0

Pondering a purchase. Thanks.

I'm sure it comes out of the same Chinese factory as all the Harbor Fright jacks. Like this one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/floor-jacks/3-ton/3-ton-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-slate-gray-70486.html

If you're limited to Auto Zone (George Soros) or Amazon, I would look at what Amazon has to offer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 08:04:12 PM »
If anyone wants an explanation:

As I work in the lighting business, I have some kind of membership in some industry organization that pays $1 or $2 in return for taking online training about lighting products, electrical tools, etc. I churned through several dozen of these while at work until I had enough for a Harbor Freight jack. The only hitch is I had forgotten the program only pays out through gift cards to about 15 different retailers. So options are limited.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2024, 09:25:57 PM »
I see I was mistaken. I have a smaller version of that one.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2024, 10:02:52 PM »
Amazon is in your future.

And... Project Farm?
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2024, 10:42:43 PM »
Amazon is in your future.

And... Project Farm?

I've seen his floor jack recommendations. Would be more helpful if I could spend wherever.

I may just use the cash to buy oil and filters at Autozone, and buy a floor jack somewhere else. I'm not really liking the choices at Amazon.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2024, 10:49:04 PM »
If you feel like rebuilding - replacing seals and whatnot - and finding a handle, I have a big honkin' Craftsman old school you can have...
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2024, 11:15:37 PM »
If you feel like rebuilding - replacing seals and whatnot - and finding a handle, I have a big honkin' Craftsman old school you can have...

I probably shouldn't. I have enough irons in the fire, and other irons waiting to go in.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 09:14:21 AM »
The more I think about it, given what a narrow space I have to work in, I'm better off getting an electric jack. I have a luxuriously spacious, double-pour driveway, but only the little strip next to the house is level. Not a lot of space for a floor jack.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2024, 09:38:13 AM »
Most Big Box retail jacks are meh quality at best, even the "!Professional Grade!" units. You don't get past "Designed for Occasional Use and Considered Disposable" products until you get into brands like Hein-Werner, Omega Lift, Sunex, AF&F, etc.. Given your budget and a presumption it will be used infrequently, Harbor Freight is your friend. Just be sure to store it sitting on a pig mat and keep a quart of oil available to top off the hydraulics every so often.

Also, having a good set of jack stands should go without saying, but I'm saying it anyway.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 11:33:04 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2024, 10:42:54 AM »
Got all kindsa jack stands.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2024, 12:06:57 AM »
Perd, I used to have a floor jack similar to your OP and I used it for almost 20 years until the pistol seals failed.  It only got used 2-3 times a year but I used it to jack up an '82 Toyota SR-5 long bed 4WD p/u (one tire at a time), an '89 Chevy Celebrity (entire axle), and a '97 GMC Sonoma p/u.  On the trucks, I would jack up one side, get the stand in place, then jack up the other side and put it on a stand.  For the price I paid (I think I got it at WM) and the number of times I used it, I got my money's worth.  I had to dump it about 15 years ago when the seals failed as it would pump up but start to sink as soon as I stopped pumping.
Don't work it too hard and it will last for years.  Use it a lot and it may only last 3-5 years.

Good luck with your search.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”