Author Topic: UPS recommendations?  (Read 101 times)

HankB

• friend
UPS recommendations?
« on: April 22, 2024, 11:44:53 AM »
UPS - NOT the package delivery company, but rather an uninterruptible power supply.

I'm not looking for something to run major appliances, but rather something that will give me enough power to shut down my desktop PC in an orderly manner in case of a power interruption (or keep things running during a short, transient power interruption) and allow me to use my landline phone (soon to transition to some form of VOIP) or recharge my cell.

Budget? Given my modest requirements, I'm thinking a couple of hundred bucks, tops. Best Buy lists several in that range, as does Amazon. But even after wading through the specs (which at BB and Amazon often contain errors) and the user reviews (which sometimes are for entirely different products or models) - I still don't know what I should get.

What feedback or suggestions can the APS collective offer?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
Re: UPS recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 12:27:59 PM »
For the ethernet modem and phone, I wouldn't think you would need much.  However, I am always bad at sizing the things. 

For the phone, I would just get a couple of external phone battery/chargers and keep them charged. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 03:19:53 PM »
I have bare bones APC 1500 UPSs in our office (computers and internet equipment) and basement (home theater).
https://a.co/d/7SjQ3Zj

A power outage gave me the chance at an impromptu runtime test. Documented here...
https://armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=68259.0

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 08:34:53 PM »
I have never had a problem with American Power Conversions (APC). My friend, an IT manager at a big university, recommends them, and uses APC on his own servers for his home web site and network. I currently have two of these and one of the 850s:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VY12HW4/ref=twister_B0CFW2VYFJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 09:21:51 PM »
The APC unit I have is an older model but I've been using it for over 15 years.  My tower, monitor, external hard drive, and modem are all plugged into it.
Maybe 3-4 years ago, the battery wasn't holding the charge anymore so I took the unit apart (CAREFULLY) and removed the battery.  It was hooked in with "spade terminals" much like in automotive aftemarket hook-ups.  I took the dead battery to "Batteries Plus" and they checked it, confirming it was dead.  They had a battery of the correct size and classification so I got it (I don't remember the price) and installed it and let it charge overnight.
It has worked fine since.
I don't know how easily other brands might be to swap out the batteries.
Before this APC unit, I had a brand called "Cyber Power" and I tried to change the battery when it went dead but wasn't able to get it out.  That's why I got the APC.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 08:09:46 AM »
Hank,

APC and CyberPower make decent 1500VA units that would be great for home.

A LiFePO4 unit would be excellent for longevity, but I haven’t seen those in the smaller, more affordable models.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 08:11:50 AM »
The APC unit I have is an older model but I've been using it for over 15 years.  My tower, monitor, external hard drive, and modem are all plugged into it.
Maybe 3-4 years ago, the battery wasn't holding the charge anymore so I took the unit apart (CAREFULLY) and removed the battery.  It was hooked in with "spade terminals" much like in automotive aftemarket hook-ups.  I took the dead battery to "Batteries Plus" and they checked it, confirming it was dead.  They had a battery of the correct size and classification so I got it (I don't remember the price) and installed it and let it charge overnight.
It has worked fine since.
I don't know how easily other brands might be to swap out the batteries.

Those I've worked with are made to be able to do that.  Sometimes even a hot swap.  You only run into a problem if the battery is swollen.

Just avoid the super low end APCs.

Before this APC unit, I had a brand called "Cyber Power" and I tried to change the battery when it went dead but wasn't able to get it out.  That's why I got the APC.[/size][/font]
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 01:10:31 PM »
APC Backups 450

Can't remember how much I paid, but it was below $100 each - my pockets aren't that deep.  Got 3 of them, one runs the LED TV & Roku, one has the Spectrum modem, router & print server, the last one handles the 2 laptop power supplies & the base station for the home phone.  They've all held up to an hour and a half power outage. 

ETA:  I haven't looked inside these units, but other APC's I've had the battery was super easy to replace.