Author Topic: Nuclear Skydiving  (Read 329 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Nuclear Skydiving
« on: March 29, 2024, 07:45:57 AM »
SGT Maj Joe Garner, jumping out of plane while strapped to a W54 nuclear warhead.

https://johnmtaylor.com/LostKey/sadm.htm

« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 09:22:32 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Nuclear Skydiving
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 08:47:55 AM »
Da fuq?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 08:55:13 AM »
W54 was the same warhead used on the Davy Crockett and had a yield equal to 10-1,000 tons of TNT

W54 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W54

Davy_Crockett https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_(nuclear_device)
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 09:17:50 AM »
W54 was the same warhead used on the Davy Crockett and had a yield equal to 10-1,000 tons of TNT

I always thought it interesting that they figured out how to get such low yields - as little as 10 tons of TNT - from nukes. And I wonder if those were proportionately more "dirty" than bigger bombs.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 01:03:32 PM »
If a former marine or soldier was motivated it wouldn't be difficult to find a "highest and best use for a Sargeant Major"  joke here
7-11 was a part time job.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 02:21:12 PM »
I remember several years ago that the Soviets/Russians had also made up some man-portable SADM, and they could not account for all of them. There was speculation where they could be and if in the collapse of the USSR, some enterprising fellow took it upon himself to sell them.  I wonder if something like that requires periodic maintenance, or if some German farmer finds a cached bunker in the woods from 50 years ago, you could still light it off.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 02:37:42 PM »
I remember several years ago that the Soviets/Russians had also made up some man-portable SADM, and they could not account for all of them. There was speculation where they could be and if in the collapse of the USSR, some enterprising fellow took it upon himself to sell them.  I wonder if something like that requires periodic maintenance, or if some German farmer finds a cached bunker in the woods from 50 years ago, you could still light it off.
There was some thought - speculation, perhaps - that some of the Soviet backpack nukes had already been pre-positioned in Western countries - including the USA - for use by infiltrated Spetsnaz or other operatives. Some people speculated that we did the same thing. If any of these speculations are true, I imagine BOTH sides today want to keep a lid on it.

As far as lighting it off after 50 years, that might be problematic. I remember talking to a guy who'd worked on nukes and he said that periodic maintenance was required to maintain reliability, as the pits would have some spalling over time. (My memory may be faulty here, and I'm in no position to vouch for the accuracy of what he told me or how I remember it.) But I sure as heck wouldn't want to be within 25 miles if someone DID try to set off one of these "old" pocket nukes.  (Even further if I was downwind.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 03:57:23 PM »
Didn't I see that on "Funniest Tricks Of Pets And People?"
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2024, 06:57:09 PM »
There was some thought - speculation, perhaps - that some of the Soviet backpack nukes had already been pre-positioned in Western countries - including the USA - for use by infiltrated Spetsnaz or other operatives.

I heard there was a nuke in the Soviet Embassy in DC. 

Probably still there.   [tinfoil]

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 12:39:54 PM »
I heard there was a nuke in the Soviet Embassy in DC. 

Probably still there.   [tinfoil]
That wouldn't surprise me at all. I've NO idea if it could be shielded & sealed up well enough that close monitoring wouldn't detect it. On the other hand, we've lost a couple of nukes over the years, and even knowing pretty well where they are, we haven't been able to zero in and recover them. So - I dunno.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 08:36:10 PM »
I'm a little surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 09:11:45 PM »
I always wondered how in hell he managed to hang onto his hat in a 2-3-4 hundred mph breeze.

Or, for that matter, onto the bomb.

Oh well, it was just a movie.  Suspend reality, Terry.  I know... it's hard.  But try to anyway.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2024, 01:48:07 AM »
I knew a guy a few decades back... he blamed the cancer he died from on training with backpack nukes... There's a reason why they were light enough to move...
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2024, 06:09:47 PM »
Nukes like that brings a whole new meaning to "light 'em up!"   :facepalm:  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”