Author Topic: End of an era at Costco...  (Read 229 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
End of an era at Costco...
« on: March 27, 2024, 12:55:13 PM »
If you used to go to Costo just to get their $1.50 hot dog and soda deal, but aren't a member?

No longer going to be able to do that. They're closing the food courts to non members, at least in some locations.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/27/the-reason-why-costco-is-banning-non-members-from-its-food-courts.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: End of an era at Costco...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 01:06:01 PM »
If you used to go to Costo just to get their $1.50 hot dog and soda deal, but aren't a member?

No longer going to be able to do that. They're closing the food courts to non members.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/27/the-reason-why-costco-is-banning-non-members-from-its-food-courts.html

You should still be able to use Costco gift cards.  (but check to make sure before you pay a Costco member to buy you a gift card if you're only interested in the hot dogs and pizza)
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 01:20:22 AM »
Seems like an appropriate place for this story:
https://www.foodandwine.com/news/why-costco-hot-dog-still-dollar-fifty

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 10:17:42 AM »
I'd have to buy a lot more stuff than I do now to make up for the membership costs, hot dogs or no.    And the travel counts up for me, too.  I'll stick with the local Target and Wally World for most things.  Is there some kind of social gratuity ("I'm better than you because I shop there") involved?

It also seems to me that if their cafeteria is so successful because of the proximity of local businesses, this would be the time to expand the profit-maker to solve the member complaints, not cut back on it. Hm. I note that particular decision-maker is leaving the company. Double-Hm.

That's what prompted my remark about social gratuities.

And did anyone figure in the time dollars at the counter in determining membership when "selecting" members for the cheap hot dogs?  Not sure how it works, but there must be some time=money effect there, no?  Triple-Hm.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 10:29:58 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 11:21:00 AM »
My understanding is that the food court runs at a loss.  It's a member service provided for the convenience of members.

Based on that, I can understand why they wish to limit access to people who have paid membership dues.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 12:33:34 PM »
I'd love to be a member of Costco again, but being single it just doesn't make as much sense. I'm able to get neighbors to grab me a few things now and again, primarily liquid dish soap. Kirkland brand liquid dish soap is absolutely fantastic.

Another reason I'm not a member is I simply can't handle the crowds. It's absolutely uncontrolled madness, from the parking lots to the checkout lines.

Last time I was to a Costco was during the height of COVID when I went with a friend. That wasn't bad because the plague was keeping people away.

Normally, though, the crowds at DC metro area Costcos are just insane.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 03:11:54 PM »
My wife keeps telling me to shop online at Costco.  I try to keep two pounds of whole bean coffee in the freezer for an emergency when I run out of my home-roasted coffee.  Lately the coffee selection of such at the local Costco has been disappointing.  I discovered that Costco.com has about five times as many choices as the local warehouse, and in fact I ordered a couple of pound of Rwanda to try it out. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 04:43:40 PM »
I experienced a moment of panic when I saw the title.
I was afraid they were doing away with free food samples or closing the hearing aid department
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes