Author Topic: That is NOT a Miracle!  (Read 290 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
That is NOT a Miracle!
« on: March 29, 2024, 09:46:56 AM »
I don't normally use Miracle Whip except as an ingredient in a cabbage slaw recipe I've not made for many years, but which was an absolute holiday favorite of my family's.

I was planning my weekly shopping trip and my grocery store has Miracle Whip on sale for $5 a 30 ounce bottle.

The regular price is now up to NINE dollars a 30 ounce bottle.

It wasn't that very long ago that I was seeing it on the shelves for less than $4 a 30 ounce bottle.

Yes, inflation has bitten, but I can buy Duke's or Helmann's mayo for less than that regular price. That's just insane. Not entirely sure, but I don't think Kraft Mayo is that expensive (I never buy Kraft mayo, it sucks since they changed the formula about 10 years ago).
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: That is NOT a Miracle!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 09:55:32 AM »
I never buy it but I checked my local Kroger, $6.49. They do have a buy three or more save $2 each though.

And I agree about the Kraft mayo, I usually 99% of the time buy Helmann's but recently pick up a jar of Kraft mayo, bland is all I can say. Back to Helmann's.
Helmann's is currently $5.99 (30oz) but there's a $2.99 coupon.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 10:10:10 AM »
It may just be your grocer who's jacked up the price that much. I just checked the price at HEB - the dominant grocery chain in Central Texas - and they're charging $5.70 for a 30 oz. bottle of "Miracle Whip Original." Regular - not sale - price. Kraft mayo (same size) is $5.18. Hellman's is $6.22.

. . .  it sucks since they changed the formula about 10 years ago . . .
I hate when that happens.

A couple of years ago ConAgra really stepped in it when they adulterated their "Smart Balance" spread by diluting it with water - a LOT more water. To the point that when users tried to fry something up with it - it didn't work worth squat. People - including yours truly - complained to the company. After a veritable DELUGE of complaints and an abrupt loss of sales that made Bud Light's Mulvaney campaign look like a stroke of marketing brilliance, ConAgra switched back to the original formula and (partially) compensated complainants with a $5 off coupon.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 10:22:18 AM »
There's definitely a local pricing aspect to this.

Safeway, the other big store chain here in Washington, DC, metro, actually shows a regular price of $10 *expletive deleted*ing dollars a 30 ounce bottle. That's just absolute insanity.

In Mathews, Virginia, where I've spent quite a bit of time the last few years, regular price is $5.99 a bottle.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 10:24:08 AM »

Safeway, the other big store chain here in Washington, DC, metro, actually shows a regular price of $10 *expletive deleted*ing dollars a 30 ounce bottle. That's just absolute insanity.

Have to make up for the five finger discounted ones
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 10:27:46 AM »
With the news today I couldn't help but think of this when I saw the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuuTS_WNw5w
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 10:33:04 AM »
Have to make up for the five finger discounted ones

I have no doubt that that's also part of it.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 11:03:11 AM »
Pre Biden the Wallyworld brand spicy brown mustard was 79 cents for a 12 oz bottle.  Last time I bought one, maybe a month ago, it was $1.40.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2024, 11:05:29 AM »
Just buy mayo. It's the same thing.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2024, 11:12:24 AM »
I see someone got out of bed this morning and chose violence.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2024, 01:03:24 PM »
It may just be your grocer who's jacked up the price that much. I just checked the price at HEB - the dominant grocery chain in Central Texas - and they're charging $5.70 for a 30 oz. bottle of "Miracle Whip Original." Regular - not sale - price. Kraft mayo (same size) is $5.18. Hellman's is $6.22.
I hate when that happens.

A couple of years ago ConAgra really stepped in it when they adulterated their "Smart Balance" spread by diluting it with water - a LOT more water. To the point that when users tried to fry something up with it - it didn't work worth squat. People - including yours truly - complained to the company. After a veritable DELUGE of complaints and an abrupt loss of sales that made Bud Light's Mulvaney campaign look like a stroke of marketing brilliance, ConAgra switched back to the original formula and (partially) compensated complainants with a $5 off coupon.

Real butter is another thing having issues. Users are saying the Costco butter has issues they haven’t had before in some baking/decorating applications due to the higher water content they are using as cheap filler. And can guarantee they aren’t the only brand/supplier doing the same. Users who try Kerrygold or similar high quality butter say it works a lot better in same recipe.

I’ve also noticed a lot of meats these days have more water/ice filler as well. To the point where I’ve stopped using regular grocery store meat, especially hamburger meat. I’m already paying a high price for it so I might as well get it from a better source.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2024, 01:16:21 PM »
^^^

We sucked up the up-front cost and bought 1/4 cow from a local farm.  Way better meat, local buisness and I got ~110 lbs of beef for $8.99/lb.

I recommend looking around your area and seeing if there's any local farms selling to the public.  Especially as it seems like the grocery store meat is gettign more expensive and lower quality by the week.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2024, 01:35:03 PM »
I buy the Burman's knockoff at Aldi, but it's not as good.  It tastes almost the same but is too thin and a little watery.  Been thinking about just making my own.  It's like a mayonnaise with sugar, paprika, and a little more vinegar or lemon juice, and cooked cornstarch sauce replacing some of the oil.  You could probably make it with real mayo, but making from scratch would be about as easy.  (Either way, you may never get the taste *exactly* right)

I think real MW is about $6 for a short quart around here (MN)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2024, 06:09:52 PM »
Just buy mayo. It's the same thing.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2024, 06:54:13 PM »
. . . Safeway, the other big store chain here in Washington, DC, metro, actually shows a regular price of $10 *expletive deleted*ing dollars a 30 ounce bottle. That's just absolute insanity . . .
Randall's is the local Safeway affiliate, and 98% of the the time their prices are higher - often significantly so - than the local HEB stores.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain