Author Topic: 7.5 Quake in Taiwan  (Read 174 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: 7.5 Quake in Taiwan
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 08:57:36 AM »
My first thought is that's some decent engineering.  Bridges shaking but not collapsing, even the building that partially collapsed and is now at like a 15* angle didn't just fall over and collapse.  People in most of that building could get out.

I kinda wish I had a translation of what that newscaster was saying though.  She was not going to be distracted from her spiel.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 09:08:33 AM »
I kinda wish I had a translation of what that newscaster was saying though.  She was not going to be distracted from her spiel.

Yeah, she was pretty dedicated.  :laugh:

I had the same thought about the infrastructure. It's amazing the differences between good and bad engineering, which, often with disasterous results, you can witness after an earthquake.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 11:37:36 AM »
My first thought is that's some decent engineering.  Bridges shaking but not collapsing, even the building that partially collapsed and is now at like a 15* angle didn't just fall over and collapse.  People in most of that building could get out.

I was thinking the same about construction but when you have a many centuries history of the earth moving you learn to incorporate stuff like that.

bob

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 10:44:38 PM »
One wonders if this would be good time for China invade under the auspices of humanitarian aid?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 11:12:58 PM »
One wonders if this would be good time for China invade under the auspices of humanitarian aid?

It doesn't seem like Tiawan was hit hard enough for China to pull that off.

I'm seeing 9 dead and -1000 injured.  Pretty sure the island can handle that without PLA help. 

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 11:54:54 PM »

I was thinking the same.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 03:05:41 PM »
The idea that the ChiComs would use this to their advantage is not far fetched.  After all, they are the type of people that would kick someone in the head when they are already down.  [popcorn]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”