Author Topic: What's the Deal With Scheel's?  (Read 176 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
What's the Deal With Scheel's?
« on: April 07, 2024, 11:40:54 AM »
For those of you who have a Scheel's, how do they compare to Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse, and I guess maybe Dicks and Big 5?

We just got one that opened yesterday. It's supposed to be the largest sporting goods store in Idaho and one of the largest Scheel's in the country. It apparently has an indoor ferris wheel. I'm curious on overall goods they carry and their firearms policies. Their website seems to have a good selection of EBRs and stuff, but they seem to focus their ads as being more "hunting" than "shooting".

Correction: The local talking heads say that it's the largest retail store in Idaho period, not just the largest sporting goods store.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: What's the Deal With Scheel's?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 11:52:01 AM »
Ferris wheel?
Something like that would normally turn me off from a sporting goods store but I guess that gives dad some place to stick the kids while he looks at that Sako rifle on the rack.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 11:56:38 AM »
I order from them on occasion.  They have some decent prices on goods from time to time.  I’d compare them to a Sportsman’s Warehouse more than Cabelas

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 01:45:08 PM »
I’ve stopped at the one in Iowa city a couple times. Positive experience with great customer service and the prices were ok, their sale prices mark down about like cabelas or bass pro.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 01:48:20 PM »
When I lived in Montana the best sporting goods store by far was the Scheels in Great Falls. They often had better prices than Cabelas. If we had one here I would visit just to see what they had on sale. :)

I do regret not buying the Montana Gun Works 6.5-284 there at a really good price when I had the chance.

bob

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 03:29:16 PM »
They gotta be better than Dicks.  Dicks sporting goods is trash.  Has been that way since even before they did whatever they did a few years back to alienate the Black Rifle crowd.
Dicks. Not just a name, an attitude.
7-11 was a part time job.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 03:34:32 PM »
There's a Scheel's here in Rochester.  I've shopped there a few times but I haven't looked at the gun counter.  Overall they seem about like Cabela's after the Bass Pro merger (not as good as classic Cabela's but still decent)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 05:57:12 PM »
"The local talking heads say that it's the largest retail store in Idaho period, not just the largest sporting goods store."

So, 150 square feet.

My god, with that rate of progress you'll soon have electricity and telephones!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 05:58:00 PM »
They gotta be better than Dicks.  Dicks sporting goods is trash.  Has been that way since even before they did whatever they did a few years back to alienate the Black Rifle crowd.
Dicks. Not just a name, an attitude.

This. In spades.

Only, I've hated Dick's since they bought, and destroyed, Gallyan's about 15 years ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 05:59:43 PM »
The local Dicks don’t carry any guns or hunting gear anymore
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 06:25:54 PM »
"The local talking heads say that it's the largest retail store in Idaho period, not just the largest sporting goods store."

So, 150 square feet.

My god, with that rate of progress you'll soon have electricity and telephones!

:laugh:

Close. 250,000 sq ft and 500 employees.

I'm not a fan of Dick's either. Sadly, I occasionally go there because nobody else has anywhere near the selection of fitness equipment, and the stuff I have bought there, like Muay Thai bags and dumbells, have too outrageous of a shipping charge to order online.

I'll probably hit up the Scheel's in the next couple of weeks after the crowds die down. Apparently people camped out there the night before the grand opening. Almost as bad as when the In N Out opened.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."