Main Forums > The Roundtable

I used to get a new computer every couple of years...

(1/5) > >>

Bogie:
...and this one hit the streets back in 2007.

I think it's time.

I'm cheap. I bought this one as a refurb from Microcenter back in 2013. And I'm looking at more refurbs.

Any knowledge out there - I want to run a pair of monitors - likely going to be HDMI these days? If one of them can be a television, that's fine with me.  I'm using a 24" Acer I got at the same time.

Since I got this, it has probably logged less than 24 hours turned off.

Probably won't need serious crunching capability - I may do some graphics or CAD, but I've got more time than money.

(fwiw, this is a Dell Precision T3400 workstation, and was a bit more than a secretary machine when I got it)

K Frame:
I got a really good deal on my laptop at NewEgg a couple of years ago.

I think running two monitors is primarily a function of the software that's on it so you'll need to research that.

Boomhauer:
If a laptop then you will need a hub to use two monitors. HDMI is common, my monitors at work use DisplayPort though for some reason.

I use two Dell Ultrasharp 24” monitors at work and I have two Asus 22” monitors for my home office. The Asus ones are very nice and reasonably priced. The Dells are very nice but I don’t know the cost since my work supplied them. Plenty of monitors also on Marketplace as well.

cordex:
Lots of the off-lease business machines use DisplayPort, but adapters are cheap too. Most of the business refurb desktops have at least dual monitor ports.

SSD or NVMe for the primary storage. If you’ve got a lot to store, a spinning disk can always be added.

32gb+ ram

Easy to find something like this in the $275-$600 range depending on the vintage of the processor.

WLJ:

--- Quote from: cordex on April 11, 2024, 07:24:20 AM ---Lots of the off-lease business machines use DisplayPort, but adapters are cheap too. Most of the business refurb desktops have at least dual monitor ports.

SSD or NVMe for the primary storage. If you’ve got a lot to store, a spinning disk can always be added.

32gb+ ram

Easy to find something like this in the $275-$600 range depending on the vintage of the processor.

--- End quote ---

W10 goes off support in 1 1/2 years so if you want to run W11 watch the CPU gen* on refurbs/off lease PCs. Generally as a rule if the CPU is supported it will have TPM 2.0

*There are hacks around the CPU & TPM requirements but it remains to be seen if MS will cut that off or not. So far they've allowed it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version