Author Topic: So, when did [i]you[/i] loose trust in NPR?  (Read 507 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
So, when did [i]you[/i] loose trust in NPR?
« on: April 12, 2024, 12:09:40 PM »
Politics, because, you know.

I’ve Been at NPR for 25 Years. Here’s How We Lost America’s Trust.

Seeing this referenced all over the Book of Faces.

Low nineties for a few years my commute was a half hour, instead of the two minutes it is now.  I'd listen to the radio driving, and probably have NPR on because it's more "contentful" than really anything else.  All Things Considered on the drive back, plus whatever was on in the morning.

NPR's coverage of Ruby Ridge, while that was ongoing, was infuriating.  I think that's probably about when they definitively lost me.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: So, when did [i]you[/i] loose trust in NPR?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 12:24:51 PM »
I read a follow up article that said that a survey of the NPR's main news room revealed of the 87 people who answered, 87 self-identified as Democrat/liberal, and ZERO identified as Republican/conservative.

I'd say I'm shocked, but I'd be lying through my teeth.

I used to listen to NPR back in the 1990s. They weren't too terrible back then, but they started tipping HARD to the left around the time that Bush II went into office, and it just continued falling left faster and faster.

I finally quit listening to them around 2003-2004 when they became absolutely sickening at how far to the left they'd done. Stalin would have been a Conservative to them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 09:49:02 PM »
I've listened to more radio than I've watched TV.  I doubt I've listened to NPR more than 2 hours total.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 09:52:36 PM »
October 2012, when the Magliozzi brothers retired.
7-11 was a part time job.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 09:07:20 AM »
In the 80s 88.5 from DC was always on in .my dad's shop. So elementary school me listened to a fair amount of political chatter in between the bluegrass. Late 90s I had tons of highway time and listened but they were far gone by then. To this day I listen some after I flip from Hannity or something,  gotta hear what the clowns on both ends are saying.

NPR to me is way more dangerous in peddling bias than a Hannity or MSNBC. They cover the bias in soothing music, high production value interest pieces and thoughtful adult tones. People listen and think they are being educated.

My upbringing in a split home helps. Well, helps me hate everything at least. When you have one wing of the family  who considers Hillary too conservative and the other side is right of Attila the hun you hear lots of different views.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 09:14:50 AM »
Would listen to All Things Considered regularly as they would often discuss events in other countries most other news services never even mentioned and for the most part they stayed non-political. Stopped in the late 90s maybe early 2000s when they seem to take a hard political left turn in their reporting where anything not hard left was treated with disdain. They basically had turned into Pravda at that point. Checked up on them around the time of Obama and the Obama worship was nauseating.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 09:19:53 AM »
. . . the other side is right of Attila the hun . . .
When a guy told me I was right of Attila the Hun, I bluntly told him that I never considered my Great Great* Grandpa Attila to be a right winger.

And anyway, I was never an NPR fan - they spent too much airtime asking for donations and subscriptions while bragging about not having commercials. (When you heard a company mentioned it wasn't a commercial, it was a  "contributor acknowledgement.")

*there are actually a lot more "Greats" in there, but I usually just quit at two.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 11:01:13 AM »
A small collection of NPR's CEO's tweets over the years.

Get a LOAD of This Chick's TWEETS! NPR's CEO Has Long History of Woke, Anti-Trump, Pro-Leftist Rhetoric
https://twitchy.com/samj/2024/04/15/ceo-of-npr-n2395074
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2024, 11:18:30 AM »
I've listened to more radio than I've watched TV.  I doubt I've listened to NPR more than 2 hours total.
I am with you.  I never listened to NPR and never had any trust in them. 

About the time I was in college and interested in political talk radio, Rush Limbaugh was getting started nationally and I listened to him.  Rush brought a different viewpoint to a lot of the environmental propaganda that was popular in the mainstream news in the early 90's.  At least that is what was most memorable to me. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2024, 09:36:32 AM »
I stopped listening to them probably about 2006-2007.  They had piece on the Second Ammendment that treated it like a stupid joke.  I was done with them after that.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2024, 09:40:50 AM »
I disliked NPR from the first time I heard it way back whenever that was. I started calling it "National Propaganda Radio".
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2024, 10:12:59 AM »
I am with you.  I never listened to NPR and never had any trust in them. 

About the time I was in college and interested in political talk radio, Rush Limbaugh was getting started nationally and I listened to him.  Rush brought a different viewpoint to a lot of the environmental propaganda that was popular in the mainstream news in the early 90's.  At least that is what was most memorable to me. 

Rush and Neal Boortz were who I listened to.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 11:05:31 AM »
Politics, because, you know.

I’ve Been at NPR for 25 Years. Here’s How We Lost America’s Trust.

Seeing this referenced all over the Book of Faces.

Reportedly he has been suspended

NPR has suspended veteran editor Uri Berliner after he detailed his employer’s "absence of viewpoint diversity" last week in a stunning rebuke of the news organization.

NPR media reporter David Folkenflik reported the five-day suspension without pay began on Friday.

Berliner penned a bombshell piece in the Free Press that criticized NPR’s coverage of Russiagate, the COVID lab leak theory, Hunter Biden’s scandalous laptop, embrace of the theory of systemic racism and accused the organization of downplaying antisemitism following Oct. 7.

My guess they'll fire him before the five days are up

NPR suspends veteran editor who blew whistle on liberal bias at organization
https://www.foxnews.com/media/npr-suspends-veteran-editor-who-blew-whistle-liberal-bias-organization

I'm going to avoid the Christmas rush and go ahead and say Uri Berliner did not kill himself
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 11:26:00 AM »
NPR has suspended veteran editor Uri Berliner after he detailed his employer’s "absence of viewpoint diversity" last week in a stunning rebuke of the news organization.

NPR media reporter David Folkenflik reported the five-day suspension without pay began on Friday.

Berliner penned a bombshell piece in the Free Press that criticized NPR’s coverage of Russiagate, the COVID lab leak theory, Hunter Biden’s scandalous laptop, embrace of the theory of systemic racism and accused the organization of downplaying antisemitism following Oct. 7.

Ich bin ein Berliner, I guess.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 12:01:15 PM »
My guess is that they didn't suspend him for criticizing NPR.

They suspended him for pulling back the curtain and exposing the REAL NPR to the world.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2024, 12:37:12 PM »
Uri Berliner has resigned.

Can't blame him.

NPR’s CEO Katherine Maher on the truth:

“Our reverence for the truth might be a distraction that’s getting in the way of finding common ground and getting things done.”

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2024, 01:09:53 PM »
My head just about exploded when I saw that quote from her...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2024, 02:09:24 PM »
Guess what Pravda means in English
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2024, 03:09:01 PM »
NPR’s CEO Katherine Maher on the truth:

“Our reverence for the truth might be a distraction that’s getting in the way of finding common ground and getting things done.”

Perhaps someone should have asked her what they are trying to "get done" if it is not about the truth. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2024, 03:18:08 PM »
And more:

https://twitchy.com/dougp/2024/04/17/dozens-of-npr-staffers-sign-letter-to-ceo-and-unwittingly-prove-uri-berliners-point-n2395208

Rather than debate/counter-argue, let's just point fingers, call him bad, and demand cancellation. As the comments suggest, they are only reinforcing his point.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2024, 12:41:52 PM »
The more you find out about her the more insane she becomes

Christopher F. Rufo ⚔️
@realchrisrufo
EXCLUSIVE: Katherine Maher says that she abandoned a "free and open" internet as the mission of Wikipedia, because those principles recapitulated a "white male Westernized construct" and "did not end up living into the intentionality of what openness can be."
https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1780929268949614848

NPR CEO Katherine Maher's Anti-White Man Video Makes Her Terrible, Horrible, No-Good Week WORSE (Watch)
https://twitchy.com/samj/2024/04/18/it-just-keeps-getting-worse-for-katherine-maher-white-men-n2395250
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2024, 02:10:35 PM »
The more you find out about her the more insane she becomes
https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1780929268949614848

NPR CEO Katherine Maher's Anti-White Man Video Makes Her Terrible, Horrible, No-Good Week WORSE (Watch)
https://twitchy.com/samj/2024/04/18/it-just-keeps-getting-worse-for-katherine-maher-white-men-n2395250
That is quite the informative quote.  She believes in freedom only if she gets the outcome she fantasized about.  If not, then the gulag for you.   

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2024, 02:11:35 PM »
That is quite the informative quote.  She believes in freedom only if she gets the outcome she fantasized about.  If not, then the gulag for you.   

So... standard liberal ideology, then.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2024, 07:48:25 PM »
Enter Elon

Katherine Maher is blatantly racist and sexist – one of the worst human beings in America
    — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 18, 2024

She’s evil
    — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 18, 2024/quote]

https://twitchy.com/brettt/2024/04/18/video-npr-ceo-katherine-maher-wants-to-stamp-out-bad-information-on-the-internet-n2395268
- Calvin and Hobbes