Author Topic: Civil War  (Read 570 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Civil War
« on: April 12, 2024, 05:15:53 PM »
So, what's your take on the new flick? Looks like "journalists go to war" from the trailer...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Civil War
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 05:19:30 PM »
I could swear we already had a thread on that but I can't find it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 05:30:17 PM »
Piggybacked? I'm figuring that it's gonna have da woke...
Blog under construction

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 06:02:43 PM »
I was listening to NPR news, and they had a review.  One of the things that caught my ear was that Texas and California were an alliance against some other group of states.  My ear did a double take.  They also mentioned that war is bad, and people get killed.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 07:03:36 PM »
A movie about American Civil War where Journalists and the media are the heroes and their wisdom saves us?

I'll pass, thanks.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 07:33:36 PM »
I might watch it, but not the whole thing, once it hits a streaming service where I don't have to pay. The previews don't interest  me much other than I want to maybe fast forward through 15-20 minutes worth to see if it's about hating people like me.

I read that the CA/TX thing was done specifically to not send a left or right message, but I don't trust Hollywood. And yes, the "journalists save us all" thing is a complete turnoff. Heck, that might actually be the propaganda aspect of the movie - trying to make journalists look good, given their loss of credibility in the last decade.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 09:06:08 PM »
I didn't pay much attention to the review on the local radio station*, just enough to hear them say it wasn't worth watching.

*Conservative talk show

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024, 09:21:24 PM »
Realizing I didn't know anything about it except I heard it mentioned on the radio and here, I watched this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2G18nIVpNE

Admittedly this just means I'm old, but it wasn't made for me.  A trailer that really didn't tell me anything about the movie except what they ended with: "this is what Imax was made for".  I'm past that, I'll let other, younger, people watch it.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2024, 10:40:43 PM »
A movie about American Civil War where Journalists and the media are the heroes and their wisdom saves us?

I'll pass, thanks.

The only place a journalist belongs is in a woodchipper

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 04:49:43 AM »
Just from the comments here, I suspect the CA-TX thing is a historical revisionist seed, and they were hoping it would take root in order to confute later discussions of the Civil War.

That's how propaganda works, folks.  A little bit here, a little bit there, rinse and repeat, and sooner or later you end up with a believable body of bullshit.

And that's how you develop a cadre of "useful idiots."

Terry, 230RN

REF (Wiki):
Useful idiot
A useful idiot or useful fool is a person perceived as propagandizing for a cause without fully comprehending the cause's goals, and who is cynically being used by the cause's leaders. The term was often used during the Cold War to describe non-communists regarded as susceptible to communist propaganda and psychological manipulation. A number of authors attribute this phrase to Vladimir Lenin, but this attribution is not supported by any evidence. Similar terms exist in other languages. Wikipedia
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2024, 07:51:07 AM »

I'll pass, thanks.

So... a comedic farce, then.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2024, 01:00:00 PM »
This review on Reason.com is interesting. Perhaps the film is more nuanced than it appears. Or maybe not.

https://reason.com/2024/04/12/civil-war-is-a-brutal-intense-no-sidesing-of-american-political-divisions/
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2024, 03:36:38 PM »
The drinker likes it in some ways but not in others
Says the movie smartly doesn't pick sides and leaves the cause of the war largely ambiguous so as to not alienate members of the audience. In other words there's no real good guys or bad guys. Also said some of action scenes are well done.
Downside, the characters and their story are left just as vague to the point you don't care what happens to them. Also the no real good guys bad guys thing cuts both ways in a similar way.

Civil War - Sound And Fury, Signifying Nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-M-fSvtQxk
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 10:58:07 PM »
It has the "media" wearing blue helmets...

Gee... Something tells me that they didn't do a lot of research.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 08:52:04 AM »
I have not seen it, but some of the comments I saw:  people were interested in the world and the war, but were uninterested in the people they chose to follow as the main characters. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2024, 08:16:42 AM »
Meanwhile over at the daily Mail

It's 6pm on January 6, 2025, 20 miles from Washington DC. 'Four years ago, on this very day, Donald Trump tried to steal democracy,' says the 82-year-old Commander-in-Chief, removing his Aviator sunglasses to signal the gravity of his point. 'He's doing it again, folks. We must stop him, no matter what.'

What a new US civil war could REALLY be like: Rebel generals defect to Trump after Biden outlaws 'terrorist' MAGA supporters... then Antifa start a 'kill whites' campaign. Far-right militias execute minorities. Anarchy erupts. Forget the movie...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13333665/civil-war-REALLY-like-Trump-Biden-MAGA-Antifa-Far-right-militias-anarchy-movie.html

Biden decrees, Trump's Make America Great Again (Maga) movement will be designated a terrorist group. The Trump-owned Truth Social platform will be shut down. All internet sites publishing 'electoral misinformation' will be blocked.

Wouldn't the first part of that be more or less a formally by now?

And then it gets interesting and it's more realistic than CA and TX joining up to attack Washington despite it treating Trump's followers as a cult
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 09:58:22 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2024, 09:23:26 AM »
I question whether Antifa (or at least a significant number of them) are brave enough to start executing people.  That doesn't mean others couldn't put on black masks and do it in their name.  I remember also that one of the "protests" in Minneapolis thought they would march into subdivision a couple years ago.  Some shots went over their heads and they stopped.  I would be more concerned about more official opposition to MAGA that sends cops after them.

I heard a snippet in a discussion on the movie.  It claimed that California became red because Northern California militias swept down and essentially took over the state.  I haven't looked for anything on that movie.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2024, 09:28:54 AM »
I question whether Antifa (or at least a significant number of them) are brave enough to start executing people. 

I think it's more of matter of being crazy enough and I think they just may be and it only takes a few to get the ball rolling once they get a taste of it.
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2024, 09:45:14 AM »
I question whether Antifa (or at least a significant number of them) are brave enough to start executing people.  That doesn't mean others couldn't put on black masks and do it in their name.  I remember also that one of the "protests" in Minneapolis thought they would march into subdivision a couple years ago.  Some shots went over their heads and they stopped.  I would be more concerned about more official opposition to MAGA that sends cops after them.

I heard a snippet in a discussion on the movie.  It claimed that California became red because Northern California militias swept down and essentially took over the state.  I haven't looked for anything on that movie.

I think you underestimate Mob Mentality.

Sure they won't engage in armed combat in anything close to equal numbers, but Antifa already, relatively routinely, mob up in crowds and beat people they outnumber and disagree with.  It's not that big a step from there to killing people.  Sometimes it's not even a purposeful step.

Keep a watch on the Hamas chapters currenty *expletive deleted*ing around in universities across the US.  There's video of them physically removing Jews from the area.  Those zones, I think, will be the next spark of leftist violence.  And the Venn Diagram of US Antifa and US College Hamas is basically a circle.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2024, 09:48:35 AM »
This guy is ready to rumble.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1782066611622740201

I'm not sure that they fully understand how close they are to our side flipping our switch to "on" and disintegrating their volume control knob.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2024, 10:00:45 AM »
This guy is ready to rumble.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1782066611622740201

Come on girls! Lets show them we have balls too!

I don't know whether to laugh or be scared sometimes.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2024, 10:27:08 AM »
I think you underestimate Mob Mentality.

Sure they won't engage in armed combat in anything close to equal numbers, but Antifa already, relatively routinely, mob up in crowds and beat people they outnumber and disagree with.  It's not that big a step from there to killing people.  Sometimes it's not even a purposeful step.

Keep a watch on the Hamas chapters currenty *expletive deleted*ing around in universities across the US.  There's video of them physically removing Jews from the area.  Those zones, I think, will be the next spark of leftist violence.  And the Venn Diagram of US Antifa and US College Hamas is basically a circle.

I guess that might work in some areas, but I question how many would keep at it once bullets start flying.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2024, 11:30:38 AM »
I guess that might work in some areas, but I question how many would keep at it once bullets start flying.

Most will run and cry but it only takes a few hardcore fanatics to cause havoc and rally the rest. Add to that the media and colleges have done a pretty good job of convincing them anyone not totally with them is a nazi and if they don't they will be enslaved or killed. The only god nazi is a dead nazi is something both sides can agree on but both sides differ in just what constitutes a nazi thus who the actual nazis in this are. As far as the left is concerned anything who thinks there are two genders is a nazi
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2024, 11:41:54 AM »

Antifa shenanigans are very regional, sometimes down to the neighborhood.  That's why, as you mentioned, when they head to other places they get turned away with guns very quickly.  They will stay in their little victim disarmament zones, and prey on the people foolish enough to come to them.  If it goes sideways (and that's still an "if" for now, I think) you'll se the little "Autonomous" or "Occupied" zones they got going on widen to encompass chunks of cities that will become EU style No-Go zones for cops and people with any sense.  Inside those, they will be pretty deep into Lord of the Flies mob mentality and violence.

We've already seen it in Seattle's CHAZ, and Occupy Wall Street.  Beatings and rapes were common inside those leftie controlled areas.  I'd be shocked if the same thing doesn't happen at Columbia University this week.  Let those Antifa run zones simmer a little longer and you'll get full on struggle sessions and beatings, and then they'll start killing people.

Bullets won't start flying (AT them anyway) because they'll keep the worst of it in areas they control.  And if you and a bunch of buddies go into a University or Blue city center with enough force to clear them out, YOU'LL be the bad guys in the narrative.

So, in short, they'll do what commies always do:  Keep their violence in times and places that they have overwhelming force superiority, and leverage existing structures against their foes.  As they gain more power they will ramp up both violence and reach.  Eventually, they will attempt to take over the armed governmental functions, and if successful, they will leverage the government against their foes.  There will never be a fight where Antifa stands and fights against their opponents.  They would lose that.

Or at least that's their plan.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2024, 12:22:37 PM »
Here in St. Louis, when they have their little protests, they are almost always in neighborhoods/places where the white suburbanites feel safe and comfy... Entertainment districts, etc... The looting tends to start on the peripheries, and will ebb and flow from there.

They'll have a protest in the Central West End, but won't go up to Kingshighway and MLK or Natty Bridge, Hall Street, etc...
Blog under construction