Main Forums > The Roundtable

Automotive Tire / Gasket Protectant

(1/3) > >>

HankB:
Just got a new vehicle (Replaced a 2006 Pathfinder with a 2024 4Runner) and am looking for some minor maintenance advice for tires and door/hood/sunroof gaskets.

What do people think is a good tire shine/tire protectant these days? I know there are some products out there that contain various solvents (e.g., naphtha) that are actually bad for your tires in the long term, so what is considered good? I've used ArmorAll tire foam in the past without issue, just wondering what the collective here thinks.

And for things like door, hood/sunroof gaskets, what's recommended for those? I've used regular ArmorAll and never had a problem with gaskets cracking or deteriorating, but is there something better?

Ben:
Congrats and welcome to the 5th gen club! You got the last year of an absolutely bulletproof engine/tranny combo. You will love it.

I still use armor-all on window gaskets and stuff, but I just use it once a year when the vehicles get their Fall detail. I don't even bother with anything on the tires. Modern tires seem to be pretty well protected against UV, and for me, by the time I drive out of my 1/4 mile dirt road to the paved road, what's the point?  :laugh:

Cliffh:
Living off a dirt road, I don't do anything to the tires either.

The gaskets get wiped down with a good coat of silicone spray every Fall.  It seems to help keep 'em flexible and the doors haven't frozen shut in the Winter.

Tuco:
I've been very happy with Sil-Glyde for window and door gaskets.

Kingcreek:
I use either armor all or a mcguires product for gaskets and seals. Tires are different.
I pay really close attention to the overhead air hole seals. Very problematic and expensive if they fail. I clean and condition mine at least 2x per year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version