Author Topic: Random query: when did "automatic transmission" become a common term?  (Read 459 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Random query: when did "automatic transmission" become a common term?
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2024, 11:06:39 PM »
No it isn't.  My 05 F150 came to me with 1 key. I got a key and programmer together for $85.

If you have two keys a circa 2006 transponder key is like $15 and can be programmed in the truck after you get it cut.

Is there some internet troll going around d posting outrageous prices for keys to make people think they can't get new ones?

I haven't asked anyone on the internet. The $200 price was what Menards was going to charge me. Home Depot didn't give me an actual price quote; they just said they don't handle those keys, and they cost "hundreds of dollars."

If I get this $15 key, it can be programmed for me? Is that where the programmer doo-dad comes in?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2024, 07:28:44 AM »
If you have two working keys for the truck, you can program a third by yourself with just those two keys and the truck.  There are videos online e of the steps to take.

If you only have one key, you need a third party programmer to program the second key to the truck.  Something like this: OBDII key Programmer

It should be noted that most of those cheaper programmers lock to the car after you put the VIN in, and some may only work the once, so make sure you program enough keys when you use them.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2024, 07:53:49 AM »
Master Sergeant wanted to race his 240 against my '67 Nova.  When he finally got to the finish line he claimed to have fouled a spark plug.  Whatever you say MS.   ;)

The 240 wasn't a performance slouch, but the first models only produced about 130 brake horsepower with a 4-cylinder engine. Later models with the 6 cylinder engine still only produced around 150-160 BHP.... until US emissions controls started hitting really hard.

Every engine available for the 1967 model year of the Nova handily beat that HP rating, and did so with very few emissions controls.

The only thing fouled was the MSGT's brain for thinking he had a chance.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2024, 09:04:15 AM »
The 240 wasn't a performance slouch, but the first models only produced about 130 brake horsepower with a 4-cylinder engine. Later models with the 6 cylinder engine still only produced around 150-160 BHP.... until US emissions controls started hitting really hard.

Every engine available for the 1967 model year of the Nova handily beat that HP rating, and did so with very few emissions controls.

The only thing fouled was the MSGT's brain for thinking he had a chance.

The MSGT should have found a track with turns.  Would have helped him out.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2024, 11:32:57 AM »
It was on a back road out in the county, a few twists & turns, not a straight line race.  There wasn't much done to the engine, a small cam & Holly 650 - hadn't put the headers on it yet.