Author Topic: Chicago Teacher's Union contract demands...  (Read 2457 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Chicago Teacher's Union contract demands...
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2024, 10:07:01 AM »
We did read 1984 and Brave New World.  My group also read The Sun Also Rises which was a pointless book about people getting drunk all the time (reflects the title). 

On the other hand, I didn't get to read Out of the Silent Planet and the Lord of the Rings trilogy for book reports.  Of course, I screwed up the book report for the second one procrastinating.  My senior english teacher was surprised I was ranked as high as I was in my graduating class. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2024, 10:09:19 AM »
Got to remember education is not so much about the kids anymore but more about the teachers and the unions now. The kids are the pawns in their chess game.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 10:30:14 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2024, 08:44:13 PM »
Do you remember taking an oath that black children should not be able to read?
I don't

Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) President Stacy Davis Gates told a news radio host that conservatives do not want Black children to read, adding that it is "part of the oath they take to be right wing."

Meanwhile she and the teachers union seem to be doing a heck of a job making sure black children can't read with only 20% being able to read at grade level in Chicago public schools.

Chicago Teachers Union president raises eyebrows with claims about conservatives
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/chicago-teachers-union-president-raises-eyebrows-claims-about-conservatives
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2024, 09:33:58 PM »
Do you remember taking an oath that black children should not be able to read?
I don't

Meanwhile she and the teachers union seem to be doing a heck of a job making sure black children can't read with only 20% being able to read at grade level in Chicago public schools.

Chicago Teachers Union president raises eyebrows with claims about conservatives
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/chicago-teachers-union-president-raises-eyebrows-claims-about-conservatives

They're really taking this projection thing to absurd levels.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2024, 07:23:50 AM »
I make a habit of, twice a month, volunteering to go into the hood and rip books out of the hands of lil' chillrun of colors...

Whitey gotta keep'em down, don't you know.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2024, 07:25:28 AM »
"My group also read The Sun Also Rises which was a pointless book about people getting drunk all the time (reflects the title)."

I read The Sun Also Rises one summer in college just because I wanted to read something.

I absolutely LOVED it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2024, 08:49:14 AM »
"My group also read The Sun Also Rises which was a pointless book about people getting drunk all the time (reflects the title)."

I read The Sun Also Rises one summer in college just because I wanted to read something.

I absolutely LOVED it.

Considering I made it through the book while in High School means it was well written, but it wasn't for me.  The characters ended up at the same place and condition they were in at the beginning.  The title is accurate to the theme of the book.  IMO, I remember a book like Tale of Two Cities to be better. 

That was some decades ago.  I still remember Out of Silent Plant, The Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings.  Re-read them since. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2024, 08:57:50 AM »
"The characters ended up at the same place and condition they were in at the beginning."

And that, really, was the purpose of the book. It was a literary examination of the Lost Generation.

Hemingway was one of the strongest voices of the Lost Generation.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2024, 09:01:09 AM »
"Out of Silent Plant"

???

You mean Out of the Silent Planet by CS Lewis?

One of the books that we had to read in high school literature was When the Legends Die. I was also quite fond of that one, as well. My high school lit teacher absolutely loved it and that's why he assigned it.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • We NEED a President with his good luck!
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2024, 06:33:03 PM »
I hated English classes in HS but one book that I loved and which stuck to me was "Arrowsmith" by Sinclair Lewis and Paul de Kruif.  The dramatic explanation of knowledge acquisition through the scientific method was fundamental to me for my lifetime.

See

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowsmith_(novel)&ved=2ahUKEwi42ZjkovCGAxXfDDQIHbSAN0oQFnoECEEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1jXVmXJLY2WbwgC8HBzpeH

for summary and review.

"Scholars have found eerie parallels to the COVID-19 crisis in the 1925 novel, and the many ethical dilemmas and challenges it presents.[7]"

G-d give me the strength to assess and review my variables until my observed results equal my calculated results.  G-d give me the strength not to trust to G-d.

Terry, 230RN

Edited to remove redundant paragraph.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 09:45:17 PM by 230RN »
Sooner or later, law output will become greater than Court input.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2024, 07:16:58 PM »
The kids... They have very high self esteem - which I think is one of the things which they are taught and evaluated upon. They are assertive. They are VERY aggressive.

They don't think a lot. They don't consider. They have been conditioned to react. And they do that rapidly, and with force...

Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2024, 07:50:37 PM »
The kids... They have very high self esteem - which I think is one of the things which they are taught and evaluated upon. They are assertive. They are VERY aggressive.

They don't think a lot. They don't consider. They have been conditioned to react. And they do that rapidly, and with force...

You omitted "entitled." They are also taught that they deserve ... whatever they want, just because they're so spay-shul.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2024, 05:41:59 PM »
I hated English classes in HS but one book that I loved and which stuck to me was "Arrowsmith" by Sinclair Lewis and Paul de Kruif.  The dramatic explanation of knowledge acquisition through the scientific method was fundamental to me for my lifetime.

See

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowsmith_(novel)&ved=2ahUKEwi42ZjkovCGAxXfDDQIHbSAN0oQFnoECEEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1jXVmXJLY2WbwgC8HBzpeH

for summary and review.

"Scholars have found eerie parallels to the COVID-19 crisis in the 1925 novel, and the many ethical dilemmas and challenges it presents.[7]"

G-d give me the strength to assess and review my variables until my observed results equal my calculated results.  G-d give me the strength not to trust to G-d.

Terry, 230RN

Edited to remove redundant paragraph.

Speaking of "knowledge acquisition" - - -.

“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”