Author Topic: So, the Russians are rattling sabres with a fleet exercise off Cuba..  (Read 1905 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: So, the Russians are rattling sabres with a fleet exercise off Cuba..
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2024, 10:41:58 AM »
If everybody would stop giving the Houthis weapons including missiles they would go back to throwing rocks at each other across sand dunes in short order and no one would give a flying F about them.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2024, 10:45:56 AM »
But back to the Russian navy.
It actually saddens me in some ways to see what was once a proud navy reduced to the ragged mess it it now.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2024, 10:46:14 AM »
I heard that the victorious Operation Prosperity Guardian is already close to completion?
They say that the Houthis have fled in fear across the desert and are begging for mercy?))

So, you're saying that the Navy, because it's not able to totally obliterate an asymmetrical, mobile, land-based combatant without putting boots on the ground to roust/kill them, actually is completely unable to run the machinery on its ships to the point where everything is breaking down and the ships are having to be towed back to port?

Sure.

Why not.

Just curious... does that mechanical neglect/incompetence cross purpose to the other forces that are also part of that activity?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2024, 11:05:24 AM »
The AK hasn't been able to put to sea under her own power since... 2018?

And even when she could put to sea in the decade before that there were numerous problems, breakdowns, and general clusterfucks that resulted in her dedicated rescue tug doing a LOT of tugging of the AK back to port.
Another interesting point is that China has been operating a former Kuznetsov class, plus what is essentially a modern replica of one for a good while now - reportedly with much more success.  It's not that a Kutzentsov is such a horrific design that it is damned to be a floating deathtrap, but when incompetently run and poorly maintained it certainly is.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2024, 02:18:21 PM »
If everybody would stop giving the Houthis weapons including missiles they would go back to throwing rocks at each other across sand dunes in short order and no one would give a flying F about them.

An American just told a Russian that US military goals would be attained already if only other countries would stop arming the people we're fighting.

That's pretty *expletive deleted*ing funny right there.

I'm pretty sure Opportunity is aware of that concept man.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2024, 03:24:15 PM »
An American just told a Russian that US military goals would be attained already if only other countries would stop arming the people we're fighting.

That's pretty *expletive deleted*ing funny right there.

I'm pretty sure Opportunity is aware of that concept man.

Pretty much everybody right now

- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2024, 04:40:51 PM »
Another interesting point is that China has been operating a former Kuznetsov class, plus what is essentially a modern replica of one for a good while now - reportedly with much more success.  It's not that a Kutzentsov is such a horrific design that it is damned to be a floating deathtrap, but when incompetently run and poorly maintained it certainly is.

Exactly. This isn't about design. It's about the rampant corruption that has become business as usual in Russia.

Money for maintenance and training diverted at virtually all levels along the chain until there's nothing left.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2024, 08:02:11 AM »
I really like this Fox News headline on an opinion column from Rebecca Grant...

"Russian warships near Florida aim to intimidate. Our Navy views them more like target practice"