Main Forums > Politics

No Tax on Tips

(1/5) > >>

Ben:
Trump's latest push is "no tax on tips". It's probably smart as far as attracting voters that might otherwise vote democrat.

On the other hand, if he gets elected and does it, with tipping culture already having gone off the deep end, I'm afraid that is going to get even worse with people looking at ways to get "tax free money" and as a way for some small businesses to fight inflation not by raising prices, but by pushing tips using those stupid credit card readers at the register that "semi-force" a tip.

dogmush:
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/13/trump-all-tariff-policy-to-replace-income-tax.html

Why stop at tips?

cordex:
Hmmm.  If a restaurant forces a 20% gratuity for a large group, that is still a tip, right?

If so, then I wonder if restaurants would start having a food charge and a required gratuity?

WLJ:

--- Quote from: cordex on June 15, 2024, 10:23:37 AM ---Hmmm.  If a restaurant forces a 20% gratuity for a large group, that is still a tip, right?

If so, then I wonder if restaurants would start having a food charge and a required gratuity?

--- End quote ---

Got to watch out some restaurants will have a 20% "gratuity charge in the bill and yet will still have a blank amount of tip line on the receipt. Got to wonder if they're hoping you don't noticed the forced gratuity.

JTHunter:

--- Quote from: Ben on June 15, 2024, 09:05:39 AM ---Trump's latest push is "no tax on tips". It's probably smart as far as attracting voters that might otherwise vote democrat.

On the other hand, if he gets elected and does it, with tipping culture already having gone off the deep end, I'm afraid that is going to get even worse with people looking at ways to get "tax free money" and as a way for some small businesses to fight inflation not by raising prices, but by pushing tips using those stupid credit card readers at the register that "semi-force" a tip.
--- End quote ---

This is one of the reasons I prefer to use cash - so they can't "slip one in" on the credit card.  If the food and service were good, I'll pay the listed tip grudgingly.
But, if the food and/or service were sub-par, I WILL complain to the manager and "request" the tip be removed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version