Author Topic: Question about the power specs for the Aimpoint Comp M4  (Read 446 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Question about the power specs for the Aimpoint Comp M4
« on: June 29, 2024, 05:06:23 PM »
The Comp M4 uses a AA battery which are typically 1.2v (rechargeable) to 1.8 (Lithium) in my experience.
From the power source specs off Aimpoint's website

Battery Type: 1.5 - 5.0 V alkaline / lithium, type AA
(rechargeable 1.2 V, acceptable voltage 1.2-5.0)

5.0v? Maybe a safety margin for a runaway battery?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Question about the power specs for the Aimpoint Comp M4
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2024, 06:41:38 PM »
Also possible they use the same circuitry for another model that uses a different battery entirely.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2024, 08:27:03 PM »
There's a military specific set of lithium bats and an adapter that we use for the M68 CCO. They are 5v.

I don't remember the NSNs off hand.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2024, 11:13:21 AM »
There's a military specific set of lithium bats and an adapter that we use for the M68 CCO. They are 5v.

I don't remember the NSNs off hand.

Why so high? The Comp M2 uses 1 3.0v battery while the M4 uses 1 1.5v. Adapter and battery compatibility with some other device that uses 5.0v?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2024, 12:21:05 PM »
5v ish?

I don't have one in front of me.  I just know that I have seen them.  They let you put 2 of the 1/3N lithiums in the CCO's that take those batteries.

There is a common. One that is just a spare battery holder, and the one I used back circa 2008 that put both batteries in the circuit.

I assume the CompM4's w8de power range is a leftover from that era.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2024, 12:35:07 PM »
5v ish?

I don't have one in front of me.  I just know that I have seen them.  They let you put 2 of the 1/3N lithiums in the CCO's that take those batteries.

There is a common. One that is just a spare battery holder, and the one I used back circa 2008 that put both batteries in the circuit.

I assume the CompM4's w8de power range is a leftover from that era.

Saw the battery doubler caps for sale for the Comp M2s and my next question was going to be are they merely storage for an extra battery or actually double the voltage but it looks like you answered both for that question already.
Appears the Comp M2 can run on either 3v or 6v.

The 5.0v thing on the Comp M4 led me to a rabbit hole of questions of why 5v?
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi