Author Topic: US Marines on leave in Turkey assaulted by nationalist crowd  (Read 402 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: US Marines on leave in Turkey assaulted by nationalist crowd
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2024, 08:11:24 AM »
I seen this on X this morning.  Anymore intel on what happened to them?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2024, 08:23:36 AM »
From what I heard other Marines also on leave came to their assistance and got them out of it. Police arrested the perps, and the Nationalist party they're affiliated with came out with a strong "FU America, we'll FU over" statement.

FAFO, boys, FAFO.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2024, 10:09:25 AM »
Turkey should be expelled from NATO (if that's possible), and all U.S. assets in Turkey should be relocated to Greece or other EU countries. Before Erdogan, Turkey was on its way to becoming a civilized country. Under Erdogan, it's becoming an Islamist hell-hole.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2024, 10:17:46 AM »
I think I read yesterday that Turkey is interested in joining BRICS, so if any NATO country decides to bail, they might be first.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2024, 10:52:39 AM »
Turkey should be expelled from NATO (if that's possible), and all U.S. assets in Turkey should be relocated to Greece or other EU countries. Before Erdogan, Turkey was on its way to becoming a civilized country. Under Erdogan, it's becoming an Islamist hell-hole.

I think I read yesterday that Turkey is interested in joining BRICS, so if any NATO country decides to bail, they might be first.

It would be better if those two things didn't happen.

ETA:  There's lots of US allied countries that have neighborhoods or whole areas that are off-limits to US Service members due to Anti-American sentiment there. (That would be in addition to the areas that are off limits due to hookers, blow, and Soju).  We probably need to look at updating those areas in Turkey.  What was the Wasp's S2 and Anti-terrorisim officer doing before this port call?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2024, 10:59:22 AM »
Police arrested the perps,

What Turkey will likely do to those guys will be far worse than what we would, could?, do to them.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2024, 11:02:57 AM »
What was the Wasp's S2 and Anti-terrorisim officer doing before this port call?

Studying for his DEI exam?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2024, 11:09:43 AM »
The other possibility, Marines being Marines, is that S2 did his job well, they were specifically told not to go there on shore leave, and they *expletive deleted*ed off and went there anyway.

We had an incident in Kuwait City in 2008 like that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2024, 03:59:26 PM »

Snort! :rofl:

Nothing like casting your lot with some of the most heavily sanctioned nations on the face of the earth.

Of course, you could be a portal to those nations... which means you'd soon enjoy the fruits of sanctions.

Oh, and Russia? They're not the big, burly protector they always claimed to be.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2024, 07:25:49 PM »
I'm surprised the legacy press is calling the perps "nationalists." Nationalism is usually spun positively when non-whites* do it.

*So long as they're not Jewish, of course.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2024, 10:41:35 PM »
Sad Turkey has gone to the Islamists. I was there twice late 90s when Ataturk and secular was still kinda in. Antalya both times, so much history to see there. They were big on us the second time especially because we were bombing the crap out of the Serbs. The Greeks didn't care for us much then for same reason but were polite enough to have their protest on the last day of our port call.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.