Author Topic: Shooting on I-75 in Kentucky  (Read 1527 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Shooting on I-75 in Kentucky
« on: September 07, 2024, 08:45:49 PM »
Monitoring this but apparently someone opened up, maybe, on cars on the Hwy.
Getting confused reports.
20 mile long stretch of I-75 closed near London, Ky
Reported multiple people shot

On going

Multiple people shot on I-75 near London
https://www.wave3.com/2024/09/07/multiple-people-shot-i-75-near-london/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
Re: Shooting on I-75 in Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2024, 08:49:05 PM »
Raw Reporting
@Raw_Reporting
A massive closure of I-75 spanning nearly 20 miles, as police respond to the active shooter situation. The affected area stretches from London to Mt Vernon, with multiple lanes closed.
https://x.com/Raw_Reporting/status/1832577933384544667
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2024, 08:50:16 PM »
Raw Reporting
@Raw_Reporting
Police receive new information that the suspect in the active shooter situation has prior military experience and planned on killing many people today.
https://x.com/Raw_Reporting/status/1832579200920047721
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2024, 08:50:38 PM »
Is an election close?
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2024, 08:52:29 PM »
Raw Reporting
@Raw_Reporting
Police radio transmission reveals that suspect Joseph A. Couch purchased an AR-15 rifle and 2,000 rounds of ammunition THIS MORNING.
https://x.com/Raw_Reporting/status/1832581840894619822
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2024, 07:34:01 AM »
Raw Reporting
@Raw_Reporting
The Laurel County Sheriff's Office has released a statement on the I-75 shooting, confirming 9 vehicles were shot and 5 people were seriously injured. The suspect, Joseph A. Couch, 32, of Woodbine, KY is still at large and considered armed and dangerous. A massive search effort is underway
https://x.com/Raw_Reporting/status/1832657624715952445
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2024, 12:07:16 PM »
https://x.com/Raw_Reporting/status/1832581840894619822
And I guess he was carrying all 2000 rounds at the shooting.

How many magazines did he buy?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2024, 12:26:12 PM »
And I guess he was carrying all 2000 rounds at the shooting.

How many magazines did he buy?

Maybe he left most of it in his car, IDK
I'm taking some of that with a grain of salt anyway but that was suppose to have been from a police scanner.

BTW: Still on the loose as far as I know
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2024, 04:21:59 PM »
Yep, still on the loose

Agenda-"free" TV doing a live feed of the manhunt (Quotes are mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZacGL7HcHus
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2024, 06:17:24 PM »
Maybe he left most of it in his car, IDK
I'm taking some of that with a grain of salt anyway but that was suppose to have been from a police scanner.

BTW: Still on the loose as far as I know
I wasn't directing that at you.  I assumed they spoke to someone at a gun shop.  Maybe not.  I can just see someone wanting to limit ammo sales due to news like that.  No mass shooter "needs" 2000 rounds to kill a bunch of people. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2024, 01:25:45 AM »
I wasn't directing that at you.  I assumed they spoke to someone at a gun shop.  Maybe not.  I can just see someone wanting to limit ammo sales due to news like that.  No mass shooter "needs" 2000 rounds to kill a bunch of people.

Didn't even remotely take it that way. I had questions along those lines myself and that was speculation on the ammo if the amount he purchased was true. One news reports says 1k.

Updates based on various news reports

They've updated the cars hit to 12.
5 reported severely injured including one shot in the face.
They've found his vehicle, a phone with the battery taken out, an AR-15, and several fully charged magazines. Unknown whether or not he has another weapon.
It is being reported he did purchase an AR-15 and 1,000 rounds as well that morning from a shop in London.
Shots were fired from a ledge on a cliff near the interstate.
Laurel County Public Schools have canceled classes.

Seem odd to me would leave the AR behind like that but he may have another rifle.
I've hiked that area and can testify it's very rugged and heavily wooded with lots of caves, very easy to get lost or if you want hide in. Actually had to crawl nearly half a mile out of a cave not too far from there after dislocating my shoulder deep in it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 01:57:54 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2024, 07:18:53 AM »
The AR-15 is SUPPOSED to be left behind to be found... I wonder what else the voices they have in his head are telling him to do...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2024, 08:17:38 AM »
The AR-15 is SUPPOSED to be left behind to be found... I wonder what else the voices they have in his head are telling him to do...

Maybe he thought he could blend in better without it

I got some absolute pure speculation on my part and it involves him having both an AR-10/LR-308 and AR-15.
He used the longer ranged AR-10 for the shooting* while keeping the smaller lighter AR-15 for running.
Again absolute pure speculation. Just trying to come up with a reason why he would leave it behind.

*Or maybe a longer barrel AR-15 some of which can be quite heavy. My 24" barrel Bushmaster Varminter pushes around 11 lbs with optics
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 08:43:22 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2024, 08:29:22 AM »
That area is riddled with caves with some quite large and deep going on a mile or more. He could hole up in one and with supplies stay there for weeks or even off himself deep in one and never be found or at least for a long long while.
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2024, 09:44:53 AM »
I was going to link to the scene of Rambo escaping into the mine in First Blood here, but it doesn't quite fit.

That said, if one were crazy, but still cunning, and wanted to really scare people and make a name for ones self, then doing a mass shooting and then just disappearing would be a good way to do it. 

I think the pathology of the modern mass shooter is pretty well known by now, and most of them know they aren't going to survive it.  It's a particularly narcissistic form of suicide.   From that point of view, doing the shooting, disappearing into a cave and offing yourself where no one can find you is kinda canny.  Unlike the school shootings where everyone just kinda moves on in a week or so, because the event is "over", you would be more like the mass shooting version of D. B. Cooper, whom folks still talk about.

A particularly cunning crazy person might set up some really hard to find camps in a couple of those caves and hole up for a week or so, then emerge to shoot up the interstate again.  If you can shake the dogs and trackers sure to be used, you could do it a couple times.

Scary thought.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2024, 09:57:04 AM »
I was going to link to the scene of Rambo escaping into the mine in First Blood here, but it doesn't quite fit.

That said, if one were crazy, but still cunning, and wanted to really scare people and make a name for ones self, then doing a mass shooting and then just disappearing would be a good way to do it. 

I think the pathology of the modern mass shooter is pretty well known by now, and most of them know they aren't going to survive it.  It's a particularly narcissistic form of suicide.   From that point of view, doing the shooting, disappearing into a cave and offing yourself where no one can find you is kinda canny.  Unlike the school shootings where everyone just kinda moves on in a week or so, because the event is "over", you would be more like the mass shooting version of D. B. Cooper, whom folks still talk about.

A particularly cunning crazy person might set up some really hard to find camps in a couple of those caves and hole up for a week or so, then emerge to shoot up the interstate again.  If you can shake the dogs and trackers sure to be used, you could do it a couple times.

Scary thought.

Some of them have more than one entrance and/or exit depending on which direction you're going and some of them wouldn't be friendly to tracking dogs requiring a bit of climbing in places. Fun when you're a quarter to half a mile into one and dislocate your shoulder like I did.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 10:11:14 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2024, 10:28:34 AM »

voice to skull, man, voice to skull.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2024, 09:42:35 PM »
Reportedly a Colt AR

Checked in on a live feed and lots of people calling the police incompetence for not finding him yet. I would love to drop them into that terrain and say here's ya go, find him.
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2024, 07:26:54 AM »
If his goal was suicide by cop, maybe he just found himself a nice cave, and capped himself, and someone will find him 20 years from now, after they reroute the highway...
Blog under construction

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2024, 08:17:04 AM »
Actually telling someone what he was going to do and kill himself was smart.  He supplied a remote cave, hangs out there for a month or so till the authorities quit looking deciding he killed himself.  Then he heads off for Mexico, Central or South America.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2024, 12:43:52 PM »
Fair point.  Would anyone know who D.B. Cooper was today if he hadn't disappeared?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2024, 01:58:25 PM »
Reward bump to $25K
Reportedly an private citizen pitched in $10k and the United Way $10K adding to the State Police's $5k

Schools in the area are closed again today

Edit: Another donor threw in another $10k making it $35k
« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 02:40:34 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2024, 02:45:25 PM »
The suspect who allegedly shot five people on Interstate 75 in Laurel County, Kentucky, had a terroristic threatening charge against him earlier this year.

Joseph Couch was arrested back on Feb. 5 and charged with third-degree terroristic threatening.

According to Knox County, Kentucky, court documents, Couch threw a rock at a man's dog near his home.

The man said he went outside and asked him why he did it, and Couch responded by cursing and going inside his home.

When Couch came back out, the report says he had an AR-15 rifle and told the man he would kill him and his dog.
https://www.wlky.com/article/i-75-shooting-suspect-arrest-terrorist-threat-man-dog/62136385

Article also says that AR-15 is not the one used in the shooting so he may still be armed with an AR-15.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 10:13:42 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2024, 09:39:41 AM »
Still playing Where's Waldo?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 12:18:57 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Jim147

• friends
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG