Author Topic: We want your $ - "Welcome to America .. from Mickey the immigration officer"  (Read 940 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=454449&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

Kind of funny, but actually sort of a good idea.

While I agree with more careful scrutiny of visitors, and better border control, politeness and friendliness can go a long ways towards softening the aggravation. One of my pet peeves is rude and surly petty officials.

I don't know if the Disney humor is particularly the best, as I could see it as being taken as syrupy and fake, I might myself prefer the hollywood versions (no idea if they were based in reality or not) of the circa 1910 Irish Boston flatfoot, or the circa 1880 version of the London bobby.

America's surly immigration officers are to get charm offensive lessons from Disney to lure back tourists put off by their intimidating 'welcome'.

They will be given tips from the creators of Mickey Mouse following falling visitor numbers - and a survey that revealed 70 per cent of those who have dropped the US as a destination cite an aggressive reception as the reason.

Since security was stepped up after 9/11, British visitors have complained of mistreatment at airport immigration, exceptionally long queues and excessive interrogations...But now officials are responding to the criticism by employing Disney's recipe for tirelessly upbeat and helpful customer service in an attempt to get the free-spending British back, particularly with the pound at nearly two dollars.

Immigration officers will be taught the secrets of Disney theme parks by learning how to welcome visitors, manage large queues and respond to 'negative reaction' from the public without letting their smiles slip...

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
interesting ...
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
It has always been incomprehensible to me just how un-tourist oriented the United States is.

Anybody ever travel to Europe? Even at the airport in Kiev, Ukraine, announcements are made in Russian/Ukrainian, French, German, and English. Same was true in St. Petersburg and Moscow in Russia, and Copenhagen in Denmark. But at JFK in New York, which may handle more international travelers than any other airport in the worled, airport announcements are made only in English -- and then usually by an immigrant whose "English" is pretty largely incomprehensible to either Americans or British speakers of English. Some foreign airlines handle their own flight announcements in their laguage (often not bothering to include and English translation), but in general JFK is not at all user-friendly to foreign travelers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design