Author Topic: Sick of the Koran debate...  (Read 2946 times)

Bemidjiblade

• friend
Sick of the Koran debate...
« on: May 28, 2005, 03:36:39 PM »
I work as a graveyard waiter, and my restaraunt has weather or news channels on 24/7 (when I can't sneak the TV onto Adult Swim).

As of last night, when the debate on the alleged abuses of the Koran happened or matters continues to rage, I've had enough.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156597,00.html

I'm sick and tired of the pathetic double-standard that the lib media and so much of the rest of the world applies to the United States and Islamic terrorists in custody.  I've tried to hold my peace but this was on the news for like an hour again last night!  Fine.  If I can't avoid talking about outrage and religious persecution, then I'm going to talk about it.

Quote from: foxnews
Many of the 520 inmates at Guantanamo are Muslims arrested during the U.S.-led war in Afghanistan. In both Afghanistan and Pakistan, insults to the Quran and Islam's prophet, Muhammad, are regarded as blasphemy and punishable by death.

"The American soldiers are known for disrespect to other religions. They do not take care of the sanctity of other religions," Qazi Hussain Ahmed, the Pakistani chief of a coalition of radical Islamic groups, said Sunday.
Any country that makes it a capital crime to insult their religion has no right to demand any level of religious tolerance or respect for others.

http://209.197.233.93/content/view/269//   The Saudi Institute, an advocate for democracy in Saudi Arabia, describes their own pathetic double-standard:

Although considered as holy in Islam and mentioned in the Koran dozens of times, the Bible is banned in Saudi Arabia, and is confiscated and destroyed by government officials.

Recently, there has been a crackdown on symbols of Christianity in Saudi Arabia. On April 21st Saudi authorities raided a make-shift church in Riyadh and arrested 40 Christians. Many Christian religious symbols, such as crucifixes  and bibles were later destroyed by Saudi security forces.

When it was revealed last week that a copy of the Koran had allegedly been desecrated by American military personnel at Guantanomo Bay, the Saudi government voiced its strenuous disapproval of such activities. More specifically, the Saudi Embassy in Washington articulated great concern and urged Washington to conduct a quick investigation. The Saudi government has also recommended to the American government to install deterring measures so that an incident such as this would not be repeated. The Saudi government would not comment on their policy of desecrating bibles that had been seized from foreign nationals.
Sharia Law countries that deprive others of human rights have no legitimate basis to criticize a real or imagined human rights abuse anywhere else.

I won't go into the long list of Christians torturet, imprisoned, or killed in the same countries that are squealing so loud about something that we can't even prove happened.

But I just needed to vent.  The past months have been like listening to an axe-murderer complain that someone shoplifted a lollipop.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 04:29:59 PM »
If you've got more than one pair of socks, you really ought to have more than one godunless, of course, you figure gods are less important than socks.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 04:41:44 PM »
Standing Wolf,

I think gods are way more important than socks.  Which is why I made sure I got the right one.  If you've got the right one, you don't need extras.  Plus, I don't think God wears out quite the same way socks do...

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 05:09:07 PM »
I'm still incredulous that in the 21st century there are still folks who are highly willing to commit indiscriminate mass murder in the name of religion.  If you tally up the "score", Al Quaeda has killed far more Muslims with their bombings than "Infidels".

I agree that those who commit/condone mass murder in the name of religion have no right to express outrage over the suspected mishandling of their holy artifacts.  But then again, they have no recognition of any sense of "right" or "wrong" so we have no common frame of reference with them.

Sooner or later, they're gonna push hard enough and cause enough bloodshed that we're gonna have to take the gloves off in the interest of self-preservation.  We'll have to make things so ugly for the common Muslim that they will turn on these dogs among them and wipe them out themselves.

That's my 2 cents worth, anyway.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Sean Smith

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 03:48:08 AM »
The upshot of most of this "Koran abuse" boils down to soldiers sticking it on the wrong shelf; the flushing story has proven to be a bald-faced lie (which made no sense to start with, given the logistics of flushing a 400 page book down the toilet... rolleyes ).

I think we have to accept the fact that a large proportion of the population of the Middle East consists of illiterate morons, who have been told that the United States is to blame for everything from poverty to AIDS to toe fungus for the last 50 years by their local Diet Nazi dictatorship.

And yes, it goes without saying that most of these "Muslim spoksemen" are hypocritical scumbags.  If they weren't hypocrites, they'd declare a Jihad on themselves and commit suicide by cutting their own heads off.

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 08:40:13 AM »
I don't believe the toilet story was a lie (though flushing it would be tricky, I don't doubt it was thrown in a toilet).  It was mentioned in Red Cross reports a while back and didn't become an issue until it hit Newsweek; the denial is just spin to attempt to save a spiraling-out-of-control international image.

I also think the US has AT LEAST as big an illiterate moron "problem" as the Middle East.

Ron

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 12:37:06 PM »
It was mentioned in Red Cross reports a while back and didn't become an issue until it hit Newsweek
Lets see,  detainee says it happened and Red Cross reports it.  US military denies it happened.  Who do I believe?

I believe the US military.  If you prefer the word of a jihadist enemy combatant over our military then that says something about you.

I also think the US has AT LEAST as big an illiterate moron "problem" as the Middle East.
Just because nearly 50% of the voters voted for John Kerry doesn't make them illiterate morons  Smiley

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 02:18:58 PM »
Even if it were true, they way it came out was totally inappropriate.  And if it were true, so what?  As soon as those countries become just a tad bit more tolerant towards Christianity, maybe I'll show some more respect for their religion.  If we compare their death sentence for owning a Bible, and our potential flushing the book of one detainee down the toilet to get him to talk, I think a difference is evident.

Maybe the solution is to not allow the detainees any possessions in prison except a bowl, eating utensil and jumpsuit.  Heck, we provide them their holy book, and they complain when someone not of their faith touches it rolleyes
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

duck hunt

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 04:20:59 PM »
Quote from: GoRon
If you prefer the word of a jihadist enemy combatant over our military then that says something about you.
*shrugs*

So it might.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 07:53:09 PM »
If you prefer the word of a jihadist enemy combatant over our military then that says something about you.
I just distrust all people equally.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 11:26:25 PM »
It was mentioned in Red Cross reports a while back and didn't become an issue until it hit Newsweek

Lets see,  detainee says it happened and Red Cross reports it.  US military denies it happened.  Who do I believe?

I believe the US military.  If you prefer the word of a jihadist enemy combatant over our military then that says something about you.
Heh, maybe it's all those years I spent in the US military.   Whenever I hear someone wearing the ugly green suit say "Trust me", I put one hand on my wallet, and use the other to cover my fourth point of contact.

In short, I don't trust either side.  For very different reasons.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 03:48:02 AM »
Don't judge their trustworthiness by their words, judge them by their actions.

How many jihadis have muslim terrorist organizations investigated, tried, and sentenced for war crimes or maltreatment of prisoners?
...waiting...
Oh, right, NONE.

Pushing the moral equivalence card is a sign of a moral cripple, someone who does not know how to make moral distinctions.  If you can not tell the difference between (let us say) intentionally disrepecting somebody's holy book and sawing some poor SOB's head off, you have problems greater than can be solved through chat board interactions.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 06:25:34 AM »
I wonder how many Korans have been destroyed by the ter- sorry, "militants" blowing up Shia mosques in Iraq?

duck hunt

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 07:03:11 AM »
How many jihadis have muslim terrorist organizations investigated, tried, and sentenced for war crimes or maltreatment of prisoners?
...waiting...
Oh, right, NONE.
Yeah, but how many of the guys being held in Gitmo and Abu Ghraib are actually "jihadis" and how many are good Muslim men who were picked up because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and somebody had to take the fall?

Do you personally know guards?  Are you getting firsthand reports?  I do and I am.

Most of the guys in those prisons have done NOTHING.  But we can't let them go because that would be an admission that we've been holding them for no reason.

Being a prisoner in this war doesn't make you automatically a jihadi.

Ron

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 08:38:22 AM »
Do you personally know guards?  Are you getting firsthand reports?  I do and I am.
If your friends have proof we are holding innocent  "good Muslim men" and not letting them go for political reasons,  then they have a moral responsibility to blow the lid off the story.

We have these big conspiracies and coverups involving hundreds and maybe thousands of personal and nobody blows the whistle?

Our military is operating under extreme scrutiny.  where problems have been brought to light they have been dealt with.

I think your "personal reports" are in fact somebodys personal opinion based on limited information.

Ron

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 09:07:20 AM »
In short, I don't trust either side.  For very different reasons.
Thanks for your service Rev.

Sorry you have become so cynical and bitter.

I cannot believe you actually draw little distinction between the US military and militant Islamic extremists trustworthiness.

If you and jefnvk are saying the same thing
I just distrust all people equally.
that is fine for internet board posturing.  

But in the real world we do have to choose sides.  We police our side and make sure we don't abandon our principles but it is still our side.  Those safely cocooned here in the US feel free to take sides against our actions,  not realizing that the enemy we fight wants them dead just as much as they want the US soldier they are fighting against dead.

I am happy and glad that there are those that moniter what we do.  But the previously mentioned moral equivalence that goes on in the media and on the internet makes me sick.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2005, 09:10:56 AM »
If your friends have proof we are holding innocent  "good Muslim men" and not letting them go for political reasons,  then they have a moral responsibility to blow the lid off the story.
They did.   Yaser Hamdi.

http://www.alternet.org/rights/19899/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6073411/

Yaser Esam Hamdi is a case similiar to Padilla.  US citizen detained without trial or a lawyer, and tossed in a military brig for a couple years.  He has been released, on the stipulation that he renounce his citizenship and never visit a list of countries.   One proposed stipulation, which I do not know if it was included or not, is that he sign away any rights to sue the US govt for his lengthy detention without trial or lawyer.

It is one thing to hold a guy for questioning.  It's another to hold a US citizen for a couple of years in solitary without trial or a lawyer, and never even be charged with a single crime.

Suppose the govt is correct and the guy didn't do anything wrong.   Care to guess how happy he's gonna be now?

I have a question for you.   Suppose you are detained for a couple years without trial or lawyer in a military brig in solitary.   What would you do after you were released after the govt admitted you did nothing wrong?   Personally, I'd just write a book, go on a high paid speaking tour, and then retire to a very isolated part of the country.   Other folks wouldn't be so willing to let things slide.

Thanks for your service Rev.

Sorry you have become so cynical and bitter.

I cannot believe you actually draw little distinction between the US military and militant Islamic extremists trustworthiness.
I VERY specifically stated "for very different reasons".   Sorry if I did not explain that I distrusted militant Islamic extremists because they're crazy and they'd likely kill me.  I thought it'd be self-evident.  

To give you one example of why I am so cynical and bitter, three people in my chain of command attempted to charge me with the crime of "witchcraft" against another soldier solely based on my religion.   It was kinda amusing, until they discussed taking my weapon and ammo from me while they'd be retaining their's.   Then it got deadly serious.   Thankfully, my Major blew his lid when I discussed the incident with him.   If it hadn't been for him, I'm not sure what would have happened, but nothing good.  

As unofficial compensation, each week I was required to fire off a minimum of 10k rounds.   If not, on Sunday they'd dump me at the range with a variety of weapons, a couple pallets of ammo, a few MRE's and pick me up at the end of the day.  Still, I think I EARNED my right to be cynical and bitter, thank ye kindly.

But in the real world we do have to choose sides.  We police our side and make sure we don't abandon our principles but it is still our side.  Those safely cocooned here in the US feel free to take sides against our actions,  not realizing that the enemy we fight wants them dead just as much as they want the US soldier they are fighting against dead.

I am happy and glad that there are those that moniter what we do.  But the previously mentioned moral equivalence that goes on in the media and on the internet makes me sick.
Says who?   Sorry, but I tend to side with "Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none."  (Jefferson)  If someone attacks us, we gotta hit them back.  That's just how it is.  However, entangling alliances and attempting to be the world's policeman is a bad idea, in my opinion.

If you were discussing my 'moral equivalence', I earned my right to distrust both sides.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

duck hunt

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2005, 02:14:11 PM »
Sure.  Because the word of a kid in the NG assigned to guard these prisoners means anything to a higher-up.

Basically, GoRon, try and wrap your head around this scenario.  Car bomb goes off in Baghdad, kills some folks.  Marines round up a bunch of guys in the area with no alibi, trot 'em down to Abu Ghiraib to be held for further questioning.  No blame on the Marines here -- it's not their job to determine innocence or guilt, and they assume someone else will be doing that in a timely fashion.  Oh, snap, there's a war on!  No time to ask questions or gather evidence now.  No problem, just hang onto 'em for a while.  Repeat this scenario ad infinitum until you have a prison full of detainees, only some of whom are actually guilty of anything.  By the time word gets to anyone with any kind of decision-making ability, the PR nightmare of a mass prisoner release is too much to risk -- basically admission that we've been holding hundreds of innocent Iraqis for God knows how long.  So what do we do?  We keep holding them.

My personal reports come from National Guardsmen at Abu Ghiraib.  Where are you getting your news -- FOX?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2005, 03:40:09 PM »
Quote from: duck hunt
My personal reports come from National Guardsmen at Abu Ghiraib.  Where are you getting your news -- FOX?
Now now, there's no reason to actually believe the soldiers.   Slanted propaganda in either direction is so much more important.   Smiley

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2005, 04:32:34 PM »
Duck hunt says...says, he gets his info directly from AG.  So I say I'm getting info from the same place and it is not the same as Duck hunt alludes to.  I also get first hand reports from several folks spread widely around the sand.  Not the same story he disseminates.   So who is full of it?

Duck hunts posts in the past have shown him to have a problem with our nation drawing a line in the sand and saying "no more!", and then, doing something about it.   He also seems to lend moral equivalancy to those who use murder and terror to further their cause, justifying their acts because their stone age, tribalistic, religious zealotry needs to be accomodated.  Oh, why can't we all just get along?  Everybody's opinion must be respected, eh?  Bull!  You can have an opinion, but I never, ever have to always respect it.  Tolerate it?  Sure, to a point.  But always respect it?  Mmmmm, nope.  Political correctness and sutuational ethics are a derivative of this concept of "everybody's opinion has value".  Where has that gotten us except a fantasyland of anything goes and we have to accept it.

History shows The West to be reactive to bad things.  Bad people have shown themselves to be proacative in disseminating despicable acts.  I guess history is just a fairy tale.

Duck hunt is entitled to his opinion.  His naivete' is also amusing.  I enjoy his posts for that reason.  His opinion, shared by some, is necessary.  It has value.  We never know sweetness without sampling bitter.  We never know right unless we are confronted with wrong.  The yin and yang of life is not only preferred, it is necessary.

This is not an ad hominum attack on him.  I'm using his opinion as an example, a benchmark of how far left some Western thought has gone.

I have a question.  Why don't we just stop getting involved in anything that might in any way be construed to be in our national interest, or in the interest of Western Civilization.  Just withdraw into our TV's, Tivo's, internet chatrooms, 4 wheel driving, fishin' and huntin, target shootin', rock n roll concerts and drive through burger heavens and ignore the obvious...might makes right.  Always has, always will.

The test is the motivation behind that might.  I take us.  Ya'll can have them.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »
No, what I mean is if Red Cross says that they are mishandling it, and the US Army (not suprisingly, whether they are innocent or guilty) denies it, I'm not just believing one side or the other.

To me anyways, this whole issue of whether or not a book got flushed down the toilet is stupid.  If it did, and it was against regulations, punish them.  If ti did, and it is not against regulations, don't punish them (especially if being done to appease people).  From the docs that have been released, I'd say it didn't happen, but I'm not in a position to make that decision.

This whole issue should be Monday morning work on some CO's desk, not national news.  Media sensationalism at its best.

duck hunt

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2005, 05:29:01 PM »
This is not an ad hominum attack on him.  I'm using his opinion as an example, a benchmark of how far left some Western thought has gone.
Fair enough, Grampster.  A couple of quick corrections, though:

As an Arab-American Libertarian, I would argue that my thought is generally neither left-leaning nor western.

I think my current state of being 7 1/2 months pregnant makes the argument against me being a "him" without much said on my part.

If we're both getting our info from AG and are getting different info, well, I guess the reason could be different points of view from different Guardsmen.  My guys tend to be very conservative and not necessarily as "Muslim-friendly" as I am, though, so I've had no reason to doubt their reports.  Could just be a difference in the perception of my guys and your guys, I reckon.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2005, 06:10:34 PM »
Quote from: grampster
Duck hunts posts in the past have shown him to have a problem with our nation drawing a line in the sand and saying "no more!", and then, doing something about it.   He also seems to lend moral equivalancy to those who use murder and terror to further their cause, justifying their acts because their stone age, tribalistic, religious zealotry needs to be accomodated.  Oh, why can't we all just get along?  Everybody's opinion must be respected, eh?  Bull!  You can have an opinion, but I never, ever have to always respect it.  Tolerate it?  Sure, to a point.  But always respect it?  Mmmmm, nope.  Political correctness and sutuational ethics are a derivative of this concept of "everybody's opinion has value".  Where has that gotten us except a fantasyland of anything goes and we have to accept it.

History shows The West to be reactive to bad things.  Bad people have shown themselves to be proacative in disseminating despicable acts.  I guess history is just a fairy tale.

Duck hunt is entitled to his opinion.  His naivete' is also amusing.  I enjoy his posts for that reason.  His opinion, shared by some, is necessary.  It has value.  We never know sweetness without sampling bitter.  We never know right unless we are confronted with wrong.  The yin and yang of life is not only preferred, it is necessary.

I have a question.  Why don't we just stop getting involved in anything that might in any way be construed to be in our national interest, or in the interest of Western Civilization.  Just withdraw into our TV's, Tivo's, internet chatrooms, 4 wheel driving, fishin' and huntin, target shootin', rock n roll concerts and drive through burger heavens and ignore the obvious...might makes right.  Always has, always will.

The test is the motivation behind that might.  I take us.  Ya'll can have them.
I believe Duck Hunt is a her.   She can make her own responce to your claims.  I just have something to say about your line of thinking.

If someone hits us, we need to hit them back.  That's the way it is.  Unfortunately, we don't do that.  

When the Marine Barracks (I might add that the guards didn't have ammo) was blown up in Beirut, we pulled out and then invaded Grenada.   When the Iranians took hostages, Carter did try a military rescue mission that unfortunately failed.  Reagan did some deals of selling arms to attempt to get Iran to release hostages, with the profits going to finance the Contras in Nicaragua.  It failed, and the entire matter became the Iran-Contra Affair.

A bunch of Saudis based out of Afghanistan hit us on 9/11.  We sorta declared war on terrorism.  We invaded Afghanistan and rather quickly took it over.  Good.  If someone attacks us, we need to find out who did it and then hit them hard.  We initially did a very good job of this.  The Taliban faded from view.  (A good number of them were indeed killed, but a large number of lesser minions just faded into the woodwork and a lot of the brass escaped.)  The Northern Alliance is a bunch of petty warlords and big time drug lords.   We have had around 10,000 troops there.   Afghanistan is indeed getting a lot better, but we still have a large number of drug lords in power.  Eventually, that will become an issue.  (Can we say General Noregia?)

Then the invasion of Iraq.  Sigh.  The reasons for launching that war have been gone over to death.  There were very few operational links between Saddam's intelligence personnel and the Wahabbis.  (The US treats the Palestinians largely as non-terrorists.  For better or worse, that's the official stance of the US.)

We are supposedly not at war with the Arab culture or Muslim religion.   We're supposedly at war with a handful of crazy Wahabbis running around the world.  Ah, but we expanded our War on Terrorism beyond the crazy Wahabbis to Saddam, who happens to be evil but is very much not a crazy Wahabbi.  (Bit of an aside, Saddam was a very secular guy who repressed the ultrareligious folks in his country.  Hence, the Wahabbis hated him.)  Ok, Saddam is gone and now we occupy/liberated Iraq.  Now what?   Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11 nor our retaliation for 9/11.   Is our next target going to have anything to do with the Wahabbis or not?   Are we still at war with the Wahabbis?  

The overwhelming majority of our forces are dealing with Iraq, not out there hunting Wahabbis.   THAT annoys me.   I want bin Laden's head on a pike and the Wahabbis decimated.   Instead, we exonerated Saudi Arabia completely, which is the birthplace of the Wahabbis and provides much of their personnel.  We know very little of what Saudi Arabia is internally doing to hunt down the Wahabbis, besides a very few token arrests.  

My point is that we have claimed to have drawn a line in the sand (the Wahabbis), and then ignored it in persuit of a very different goal (Iraq/Saddam).  Is that very different goal valid?  I don't know.  I'm very much opposed to handing people freedom on a silver platter without them earning it.  "If the people do not rise up and take freedom for themselves, they neither deserve it nor will they keep it."  If we stated we wanted Saddam's head on a pike because he annoyed us, it'd be fairly respectable.  Instead we made a multitude of various claims.  WMD, liberating the people, terrorism, whatever.  

I remember reading much of your words applying to the Native Americans.  The US Army committed genocide, and got away with it.   "Might makes right," indeed.  If we try going down that road again, I do not believe it will be quite as easy.  I recommend keeping the "War on Terrorism" strictly against the crazy Wahabbis.  (Remember, the guys that actually attacked us.)  Apparently some folks vastly disagree with me, and are in the position to act out their will.  Any future "Native Americans" might not be as easy to wipe out as the Native Americans were back in the 1800's.  

Turning the "War on Terrorism" into the Tenth Crusade is not a good idea for a vast multiple reasons.  It will get messy.  Instead of just attacking people that attacked us (perfectly justified), we will be declaring war on people that did not attack us.  It will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.   By declaring war on another religion, they will likely recipricate.  

I saw this in the Balkans.  Evil psychopaths on both sides.  Mass graves, assassinations, random killings, etc.  I do not want this to happen to my country.  I remember staring into the skull of a young girl who was shot because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and happened to be Muslim.  There is no justification for indiscriminating firing on children just swimming in a pond on a hot day.  On the other hand, I listened to stories told to me by Muslim soldiers of their actions against the Christians.  Who is right?  Who is wrong?  Neither.  Both sides are screwed up, and equally guilty.  It's a cycle that I believe will continue until one side is dead.  

Oddly enough, one of our greatest victories against the Wahabbis happened in the Balkans.  This victory was not by invasion or 'smart bombs'.  They do have their place, mind you, just not in every instance.   We convinced the locals that the mujis were bad news.  "See, the mujis are unreasonable people", "they're making you look bad", blah blah blah.  Bribery, diplomacy, flat out BS, and trickery did it.  The locals turned on the mujis.  Some were killed, other left in a real hurry, others were imprisoned for war crimes.  The mujis were gone.   No sexy CNN footage of smart bombing, or nifty toys.   Most of this was carried off by Special Forces and certain other folks.  Sometimes a little talk (and a few bucks slipped into the right pockets) can do a lot better than a few hundred bombs.  Sometimes not.  

When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.  Sometimes it's better to try other tools first.

I don't want to see that cycle started on a global scale.  Maybe one day it might be inevitable.   Today is not that day.   Every sane person, on both sides, should attempt to avoid such a war.   If it becomes necessary, so be it.  Until it becomes necessary, it should be avoided.   If a global war between Muslims and Christians breaks out and 'got out of hand'...   I do not believe it would stop until nearly every member of the opposite side is dead.  Some Muslims and Christians WANT to see this kind of war.  Both are fanatics.   Yet their arguments are rather similiar.  I hope voices of reason hold.  We shall see.

I am not a member of either religion.  I'm pagan.  Part of my reasoning is self-preservation.  Another part is that I do not want to see my estimate of a worst case scenerio come to pass.   I believe in the preservation of life when possible.  If you have to kill, you do it.   But it should be a last case resort, not the first.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with Jefferson.   "Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2005, 06:15:56 PM »
Dh  shocked  You'll have to trust me when I considered "him"  vs him/her and I absolutely just knew I was gonna blow that one.  I need to stop disregarding that little voice I hear from time to time.  Maybe it's because I sent my tin foil hat to the cleaners the other day.Cheesy

I have several clients with sons and daughters in the sand.  One client has 3 sons in Iraq presently.  Several associates of mine in LE who are miltitary historians have a wide spectrum of friends active and retired officer corp, some from MP detachments.  Many of them are serving now and in the past in A'stan and Iraq.  One specificaly was in AG at the time the that some of our people were engaged in behavior that is unacceptable.  I get forwarded and direct e mails, and have been for some time.

Some of my observations about life come from spending several years dealing with the underbelly of humanity.  While I fully admit that being involved in that tends to make one cynical, it also makes one fully adjusted to the fact that some folks just don't want to get along, no matter what the culture.

Western Civilization, while engaging in acts of barbarism from time to time, at least has shown a willingness to progress beyond that barbarism.  We all live in the same world at the same time.  There is no excuse for not being aware of the realities of life.  While faithfull adherence to a religious belief is admirable, when it comes at the expense of barbaric acts upon those who do not believe, but also on those who do, then one must expect some backlash.

America is a grand example of how people from diverse backgrounds melt together into a polyglot society that is the better for having been imbued with the variety of life.  To somehow crucify Americans who are attempting to allow others to have the same freedoms, while those who have called down the judgement of fellow humans because of their intolerance, seems somehow, alien to me.  That this attempt at promoting freedom should somehow come at no cost in the face of barbarism is as I said, naive.

On a brighter note, may the young life that you carry within you give you much joy and satisfaction.  May that child never have to come face to face with evil and only know peace and tranquility.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2005, 08:08:08 PM »
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.  Sometimes it's better to try other tools first.
Hence a new way of dealing with the middle east problem.

We have tried to make nice with ''bad" guys over there,  we have supported some,  undermined some, ignored others.

Over the years we have tried all different forms of persuation to keep the peace.

If we demand or act in ways to effect change in their governments we are accused of meddling in their internal affairs.  If we do nothing we are accused of being indifferent.

After 9/11 a change in the whole region was seen as the only way to short circuit the terrorist support network.  The terrorists were/are in all of the middle east countries to one extent or another.

We took out the bad guys in Afghanistan.  We took out one of our avowed enemies in Saddam.  We moved the battle to their backyard.

Establishing somewhat representative governments with regular elections in both countries does more for our cause than all the bombs.

This whole "war" isn't about the Koran,  Islam or Christianity.  It is about power.  The thugs running most of the nations over there have the power and the extremists want it.

We support actively or by innaction the governments that enslave their people.  Instead of trying to talk the thugs into giving up their power we have set up an object lesson of "democracy" right in their midst.  If the people in that region could actually vote with their own self interest in mind I doubt the extremists would be voted into office.
By setting up freer governments with democratic elections we show we don't want to rule them.

The whole religious aspect is a convieniant propoganda tool for the terrorists to use against us.