Author Topic: Novelty smoke grenades  (Read 2818 times)

.Cheese.

Novelty smoke grenades
« on: May 18, 2007, 05:05:54 PM »
Rather than post the whole thread again, I'll link to it from THR.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=278261

Just letting everybody know. Smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Novelty smoke grenades
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 04:02:14 AM »
I make my own smoke bombs out of potassium nitrate (stump rotter) and sugar.

Melt them together, pack into short pieces of pipe, and insert a piece of cannon fuze.

Nice clouds of white smoke.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 06:16:42 AM »
Mike, what ratio?

Melt it in a pan?  Or microwave?  I'd hate to see what happens if you burn it. shocked
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 07:14:54 AM »
Mike, what ratio?

Melt it in a pan?  Or microwave?  I'd hate to see what happens if you burn it. shocked

Here ya go...

http://www.unitednuclear.com/smoke.htm
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 07:26:03 AM »
Mike... you are my new hero.  Now I have all sorts of fun things to do now!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:39:15 AM »
One warning I will give you.

There are a couple of different kinds of stump removers out there. One kind that my friend and I tried wasn't potassium nitrate. Not sure what it was, but when we were heating it it was the most incredibly acrid smell you've ever come across. I'm surprised we didn't poison ourselves.

Getting another brand of stump remover solved the issue.

Paddy

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 07:47:18 AM »
I don't get it. Why would anybody want to play with smoke grenades.  And what are the by-products of burning postassium nitrate?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 07:53:27 AM »
"And what are the by-products of burning postassium nitrate?"

Smoke.

Paddy

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 08:09:03 AM »
OK, here's a link to the MSDS:
http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSDS/KNO3.htm

Here are some of the potential health effects:

Eye: May cause eye irritation.

Skin: Dust causes mechanical irritation. Low hazard for usual industrial handling.

Ingestion: Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Inhalation: May cause respiratory tract irritation. May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, tachycardia, dyspnea (labored breathing), and death.

Chronic: Prolonged exposure may cause anemia and methemoglobinemia, characterized by dizziness, drowsiness, headache, breath shortness, cyanosis (bluish skin due to deficient oxygenation of the blood), rapid heart rate and chocolate-brown colored blood. May cause kidney injury. May cause methemoglobinemia, which is characterized by chocolate-brown colored blood, headache, weakness, dizziness, breath shortness, cyanosis (bluish skin due to deficient oxygenation of blood), rapid heart rate, unconsciousness and possible death.

Hey, that ain't bad.  Death is only mentioned a couple of times.  In the meanwhile you get to cough, puke, crap, have convulsions and a heart attack, fall asleep and turn blue.   laugh

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 08:46:13 AM »
I'll have to remember that the next time I take my blackpowder rifle out to the range.

Oh, wait, just going to the range can cause death in the form of a highway accident....

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 10:00:43 AM »
Just don't inhale Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin