Author Topic: Using a Japanese pioneered technique to save the whales...  (Read 805 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Now I have nothing against whales. I think they're a pretty cool specie. If I were aqua-man, I'd probably have a member of some sort of whale group mammal as my beloved pet (porpoise, beluga whale). I also have nothing against hunting whales as long as the particular type isn't endangered and it's going to good cause.

I just find it terribly ironic that the Japanese, who are almost universally villified for their whale hunting, may have, with their hunting techniques,  provided whale lovers with a good means of saving whales. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6672771.stm

...The new technique of banging on pipes was developed by the Japanese and has been used successfully to herd whales, says the Sacramento Bee newspaper...
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Using a Japanese pioneered technique to save the whales...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 04:37:05 AM »
So why did they go up the river?  Maybe that is where they want to be?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Dixie_Amazon

• “Oh God, it's her, run!
  • friend
    • Bayou Shooter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 02:37:52 AM »
I heard one theory that they go into freshwater to get rid of some parasites, but sometimes they get confused and keep going the wrong way.
Dennise
“Though I often run out of courage and good sense, stubbornness keeps me going.”
― Simon R. Green
http://www.BayouShooter.com

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 05:45:56 AM »
Yeah, I thought that was a little ironic, too.
D. R. ZINN