Author Topic: Earth Overdue for a Mass Extinction Event  (Read 8000 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Earth Overdue for a Mass Extinction Event
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 11:58:13 AM »
Sorry.  I understood the overall point, I should have just asked what you meant by high Greece. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 11:59:32 AM »
What about the children lupinus?

Okay, not our children, but our children's, children's, children's, children's, etc. etc. ad nauseum, children?

What about them?

Why do you hate children?  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 01:39:07 PM »
Sorry.  I understood the overall point, I should have just asked what you meant by high Greece.
Ah.  Basically the time you think of when you think ancient Greece.

Why do you hate children?
Cause they are annoying little bugger pickers who make to many weird noises and even more weird smells  grin
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 05:31:14 PM »
Should I withdraw my 401k and spend it on the libations in the "favorite libations" thread and on loose women in the thread that I am sure will follow? It would be a pity to die rich!
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

Telperion

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 10:21:12 PM »
Overdue?  We're in the middle of an extinction event, and it began millennia ago and continues through the present: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction_event

But the idea that an extinction event can happen over tens of thousands of years instead of being some kind of biblical calamity is just not dramatic enough for the chicken-little types...

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2007, 03:19:25 AM »
I think we should start worrying now. Don't wait another 2 million years. Maybe we need to have Al Gore solve the problem for us.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

woodcdi

• friend
Just Remember This Before It Happens
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2007, 04:31:54 AM »
In life's quests for all things gold, don't discount the money, but take some time for fulfillment, satisfaction, and a few of the things in life that are often beyond the bounds of mere security.

As you approach the winter of your life, many will be the times you will bask in the warm glow of those memories.

The chilling lament of deeds undone, of loves passed over, of adventures put off and missed, and freedoms lost is nothing less than the cold, hard ground. That is a death before death.

Live your life, warm your heart, and you'll put the Devil's flames to shame when you warm the Earth with your bones.

Woody

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2007, 07:40:34 PM »
. . . every object in the universe is moving apart from the other objects as the universe expands at a constantly accelerating rate. .
I'm aware that science says the universe is expanding, but I've never heard that the rate of expansion was accelerating. I'd be real interested in knowing what mechanism is responsible for acceleration.

God snorting a line of dietyCrank?

Hell, who knows.

In any case, I'm not worried, whatever happens, happens.

It's not like we could do much to stop a mass extinction due to radiation, (and I somehow doubt it'll happen.)
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
My view to the west is blocked by the continental divide. But, I may get some view if this thing hits Komifornistan as the concensus seems to hope for. Have to drag the beach chairs onto the back deck to be ready. Make note to pick up extra beer and chips. Find where I put those sun glasses

Gee, thanks.

Remind me to flip you off when we fall off into the ocean.   grin
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

dwarven1

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2007, 04:36:05 PM »
Anyone ever heard of Comet Shoemaker-Levy?

I hate to rain on your parade, but if we did get hit by a meteor... well, hope your bugout bag is well stocked. 'Cause even if we saw it coming, thanks to NASA's neutering of the space program, there's nothing we could do to stop it (in spite of all the special effects that Hollywood can muster).
"Of all the strange crimes that human beings have legislated out of nothing, ?blasphemy? is the most amazing--with ?obscenity? and ?indecent exposure? fighting it out for second and third place."

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2007, 05:22:47 PM »
dwarven1, I agree. But, if we tried to do something to bump a comet or asteroid off course the left would scream about: take your pick (playing God, interfering with nature, putting another civilization on collision path, preventing our destiny,....)
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2007, 10:53:52 PM »
I like how it's NASA's fault.  Nothing about the administrations over the years gutting NASA's budget or anything...  rolleyes
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2007, 11:18:04 PM »
If NASA really cared they'd hold a bake sale or something.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2007, 04:42:40 AM »
But, if we tried to do something to bump a comet or asteroid off course the left would scream about:

But all that screaming would drastically increase atmospheric CO2.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2007, 05:38:05 AM »
Who says the US has to do something about an asteroid? Russia is still the master of massively overbuilt heavy lift vehicles. All they need is cash. Give them buckets of cash and they'd probably send up something loaded with nukes and built like a battleship to see it off.

With eight Zenit booster rockets and an Energia-M core as the upper stage of it, the "Vulkan" (which was interestingly the same name of another Soviet heavy lift rocket that was cancelled years earlier) or "Hercules" (which is the same name designated to the N-1 rockets) configuration could have launched a stunning 175 tonnes into orbit.

slzy

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2007, 06:12:54 AM »
london calling to the zombies of death,quit holding out and draw another breath.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2007, 06:47:32 AM »
Well, according to something I read this morning, mass extinctions serve as a "pump" for evolution - clearing out a currently dominant species (or group of species) so that other species may evolve to fill their niche. (example: dinosaurs and mammals)

It always amazes me how extinctions in the long distant past are part of the evolutionary process, but current extinctions are all the fault of mankind and are dooming the planet.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2007, 01:01:03 PM »
Well, see, now we have capitalism to blame, so...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2007, 04:47:56 PM »
It's pretty interesting that a mass extinction happens every 62 million years and we also pass through the dense core of the Orion arm every 62 million years...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2007, 05:44:58 PM »
It's pretty interesting that a mass extinction happens every 62 million years and we also pass through the dense core of the Orion arm every 62 million years...

Its all the fault of the Orion Syndicate!!
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Dixie_Amazon

• “Oh God, it's her, run!
  • friend
    • Bayou Shooter
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2007, 02:54:06 AM »
Its all the fault of the Orion Syndicate!!
Keep an eye out for this guy...
Dennise
“Though I often run out of courage and good sense, stubbornness keeps me going.”
― Simon R. Green
http://www.BayouShooter.com