Author Topic: Computer Help  (Read 1864 times)

spinr

Computer Help
« on: May 31, 2005, 11:53:32 AM »
Someone futzed with one of the computers I use at work. Nothing bad, but the damn thing chimes every quarter hour.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to stop it. I'm sure there's some simple way to do it and I'm just overlooking it like a moron.

How do I turn the chime off? I've looked at date & time settings, regional settings, sounds, etc, but can't find anything dealing with this.

Thanks!
Steve

Whoops... almost forgot.  OS is Windows XP w/ SP2.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Computer Help
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 02:07:15 PM »
If it's someone playing a trick on you and you already checked all visible clock programs you are aware of, open the task manager and check processes. See if there is something there with a clock or chime (or even "annoyspin180")  related name running. You might be able to track it down that way. Hopefully you have admin rights on your computer.

Also, just to be sure, look at the taskbar in the lower right and see if anything running there could be the culprit.

I'm assuming you're in Windoze. I don't know nuthin' about no Macs, and Linux people don't do this kind of stuff to each other.  Tongue
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Computer Help
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 03:27:57 PM »
Quote from: BenW
If it's someone playing a trick on you and you already checked all visible clock programs you are aware of, open the task manager and check processes. See if there is something there with a clock or chime (or even "annoyspin180")  related name running. You might be able to track it down that way. Hopefully you have admin rights on your computer.
Scheduler also.

I'm assuming you're in Windoze. I don't know nuthin' about no Macs, and Linux people don't do this kind of stuff to each other.  Tongue
Sure we Linux people don't.   Instead, we write a small script to use SSH to connect to every PC in the lab and randomly open/close the CD drives.   For some reason, it disturbs the newb's.    Wink

I once reconfigured a Linux nut's KDE desktop to look eerily similiar to Win95 desktop, and left a post-it note on his machine saying we were switching over to Win95 and all users were forbidden from using alternative OS's.  My boss yelled at me because said user sat in the smoking area for 30 minutes, twitching and chain smoking.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Computer Help
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 03:35:35 PM »
I once reconfigured a Linux nut's KDE desktop to look eerily similiar to Win95 desktop, and left a post-it note on his machine saying we were switching over to Win95 and all users were forbidden from using alternative OS's.  My boss yelled at me because said user sat in the smoking area for 30 minutes, twitching and chain smoking.
HA!

My friend did something like that, made Windows lok like Linux, then went around asking the Linux geeks for help.  It took some of them a few minuets to realize what was going on.  Seems that most of them had never heard of Linux XP before Wink

If someone is playing a trick on you (seems like they are), go beat the solution out of them.  Or, if you want to be real cruel, take it to the boss, and complain about lost time and productivity going down the hill because of it Wink
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Computer Help
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 03:47:20 PM »
You guys are mean (and thanks for the ideas) -- are you sure one of you didn't remotely jackup Spin's machine? Tongue
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

client32

• friend
Computer Help
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 03:29:33 AM »
Instead, we write a small script to use SSH to connect to every PC in the lab and randomly open/close the CD drives.   For some reason, it disturbs the newb's.
This is always fun.  I have a co-worker that gets quite scared when the cd drive opens.

I also once installed a Mac OS theme on my bosses computer (back in the 98 days)  That freaked him out pretty good.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Computer Help
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 03:39:11 AM »
Instead, we write a small script to use SSH to connect to every PC in the lab and randomly open/close the CD drives.   For some reason, it disturbs the newb's
"It is good to be kingroot."

I'd twitch too.

You are evil!
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Computer Help
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 11:22:17 AM »
Quote from: lee n. field
"It is good to be kingroot."
Don't need root to open or close the CD drive.  In our lab, everyone could sign onto any PC.   But yep, it's good to be root.   God, root, what is difference?    Wink

Quote from: lee n. field
I'd twitch too.

You are evil!
Nope.  I was teaching the user a fundimental rule of computer security.  Doesn't matter how many passwords, security fobs schemes, biometric, whatever you use.  If you walk away from your computer while you are logged in, all of that nifty security is worthless.

I was merely trying to educate the user on the importance of physical security.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Computer Help
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 06:51:25 PM »
Sure we Linux people don't.   Instead, we write a small script to use SSH to connect to every PC in the lab and randomly open/close the CD drives.   For some reason, it disturbs the newb's.
That one works really good on Halloween or Friday the 13th.

My son got me with a good one. He took a screenshot of my desktop and then set it as my wallpaper. Then he dragged my real icons off the screen and shrunk the taskbar. Keyboard would work, but couldn't click on anything. I was at the point of reinstalling all my drivers when he finally busted out laughing and gave it away.

It sounds like someone is yanking your chain.