Author Topic: Anyone done a Track Day before?  (Read 2551 times)

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
Anyone done a Track Day before?
« on: June 01, 2005, 12:00:45 PM »
So this July 1st and/or 2nd, I'm going to a race track in California called "Thunderhill".  An organization called Zoom Zoom, hosts a 'novice school' for people on motorcycles that haven't raced before.  I was wondering if any bikers/ car nuts on APS have been to a track day before.  The thought of hitting triple digit speeds, legally, is pretty enticing, IMHO.

Assuming the deal goes down, I'll be bringing my new '03 Suzuki SV650S, pretty sexy huh?

atek3

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 12:41:51 PM »
Did one with www.cornering.com" target="_blank">Keith Code several years ago. Well worth it. Code is an excellent teacher and will improve your riding.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

...has left the building.

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 03:05:15 PM »
I haven't done one yet dangit but I probably will when I join the SCCA this summer.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 04:40:00 AM »
Did an SCCA two-day course several years ago. Learned a lot.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 05:53:09 AM »
You'll love it.  Although if your fairly new to riding I'd suggest bringing an older or scruffier bike to the track.   At the very least remove your body work.  You'll need to do some prep work to it.  Safety wire any and all critical nuts and bolts.  I'd remove the headlight... although to pass tech it can just be taped up.  But the tape is only to protect the track from debris, it doesn't prevent it from breaking :p

You might as well buy a set of leathers now or a two piece leather suit.  Because your going to be hooked.

I used to race the MRA circuit in CO.  
But racing can be expensive if your just doing it for fun.  If you can stay competative in the top 10 no matter the class.  THen you can usually start securing some sponsorships and at least get tires and such paid for.

If you really want some good track time get into endurance racing.   Its cheaper track time than a trackday. (in the long run)

Definetly pick up Kieth Code's books, The "Twist of the Wrist" series is an incredible wealth of riding knowledge.
Even if you dont' ever plan on riding on a track read them.  Alot of it applies to street riding as well.

Let us know how it goes.  

Keep the rubber side down.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

atek3

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 08:23:27 AM »
already read twist of the wrist, good book, how's the sequel?

Getting leathers soon.  

atek3

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 10:06:11 AM »
Worth reading, but there's nothing like being there.

- NF.
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

atek3

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 06:24:33 AM »
I'm pretty excited, now I have to find a way to get my bike and self up there... I don't own a truck or trailer... or car for that matter.

atek3

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 08:25:38 AM »
atek3,

Do you ride bikes year round then?

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 08:34:52 AM »
Keith Codes books are all good, weird in places but good.

His school is well worth it if you want to learn and was so much fun. I've done L2 and am saving for L3. Makes a huge difference to your riding skills and confidence.

general tips - Lockwire the important stuff. Talk to the instructors, drink lots of water, take frequent  breaks, relax and don't lob it in the first ten minutes. Spend some time before hand adjusting controls and lubricating them. Check all consumables and fluid levels.  Tyre pressures, just leave them at street settings for your first session. Adjusting them and changing the way your bike responds on your first trackday when you have so much else to concentrate on is not a great idea.

DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN YOUR CHAIN!!

Most failures of scrutineering I've seen are because of banjo string chains.

Have fun and let us know how you got on. Medical insurance up to date? lol Make sure it covers you for stuff like trackdays.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

atek3

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 09:34:23 AM »
Quote from: Daniel Flory
atek3,

Do you ride bikes year round then?
Yep... I'm hardcore like that.

hey, Daniel, got a reliable extra car I could have for ~5k?

atek3

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 01:52:47 PM »
atek3,

Crap. I sold my Mercedes C280 about 8 months ago. I probably would have given it to you for $5K.

atek3

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 07:39:04 PM »
Darn...if you seen any other clean reliable cars <6k hit me a PM

thanks,
atek3

nico

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2005, 05:57:47 AM »
I've done a few track days in my car and autocrossed for 4 years.  If doing a track day on a bike is anything like in a car, you'll be hooked instantly.  Whatever you do, go there with the state of mind that you're going to learn, not that you know what you're doing.  In the few track days I've done, I've passed a few people who thought they knew what they were doing in S2000s, Mustangs, and even an NSX, in my 96 Dodge neon.  It was prepared for stock class autox at the time, but shouldn't have been able to hold a candle to any of the above cars with anything close to equal drivers.  You'll learn a lot more if you go into it with the mindset that you don't know what you're doing and want to learn than thinking you do.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2005, 04:28:35 PM »
^^ What nico said.  I've done a few track days in my car and it's an absolute blast.  Right now I'm fishing around for a dedicated track car, maybe an old miata that I can build up or something.

Basically, don't push it, listen to your instructor, and work on one thing at a time.  You are going to have a great time!  Cheesy

-Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

atek3

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 10:53:27 AM »
I was on the freeway I pulled up next to an SRT-4.  I go WOT and start leaving him, he won't have any of it, he floors it and passes me like I'm standing still... those souped up neons are something funny.

atek3