Author Topic: My day at Cub Scout Camp  (Read 729 times)

Chris

My day at Cub Scout Camp
« on: June 15, 2007, 10:37:30 AM »
Through circumstances entirely my own fault, I became the Cubmaster of my son's Sub Scout Pack.  Frankly, the leadership was lacking, and what was there was less than exciting for the kids, so I took over.  Long story.

Anyways, this week, Central Ohio Cub Scouts go to day camp at Camp Falling Rock in Licking County, Ohio.  I volunteered yesterday, and simply had a great time.  Arrive in the middle of nowhere in some very beautiful country at 0800 with a van full of 7 year old boys.  unload and watch the boys interact with other members of their assigned den prior to opening ceremony.  By about 0820, there were almost 400 boys between 7 and 10 years old running around.  Rick, the director, called everyone to teh P.A. for the opening, and it was amazing to see 400 boys get that quiet that quickly.  A group of Boy Scouts acting as "counselors" conducted a flag raising ceremony, followed by the Pledge, an inspired version of Go Bless America, and the days activities.  My day (three other adults and 15 7 year old boys) went like this:

0900-1000  Rowing (should be called geting wet in a boat, but still fun)
1000-1030  Values/Character/Choices (meeting with an elder leader to talk about values, character, choices.  Our leader was a retired Marine sergeant who was great with the kids.)
1030-1100  First Aid Basics (what to do for small cuts, scrapes, etc.)
1100-1145  BB Guns (I wipe a tear from my eye to say that my son's first five shots on a real target, measured distance, resulted in a 43 out of 50)
1200-1245  Lunch
1300-1330  Bead Craft (beaded lanyards for pocket knife or keychain)
1345-1430  Outdoor cooking (camp cobbler, pie filling topped with cake mix, baked in a dutch oven.  Not great, butthe kids loved it.)
1445-1515  Camp songs (the kids had fun)
1515-1600  Compass basics
1600-1630  Daily awards, lost and found, and flag retreat.

I spoke with the director before driving my load of sleeping boys back home.  Two injuries over the day of note.  One boy touched a hot dutch oven, resulting in a second degree burn on his hand.  Another boy cut himself during knife class, and needed to be taken for a few stitched in his hand, because he was playing around and not paying attention.  One adult needed medical attention because he was a tough guy and thought he didn't need to keep drinking water all day. 

Nice to see 400 kids without a single earphone, videogame, etc. actually enjoying life, learning good things, and shooting without becoming serial killers.  grin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: My day at Cub Scout Camp
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 11:12:10 AM »
That sounds like a great day.  There's nothing wrong with small injuries to remind kids to be careful.

I always thought our den motto was "quit screwin' around you guys."  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 11:15:53 AM »

0900-1000  Rowing (should be called geting wet in a boat, but still fun)

Reminds me of something my Scoutmaster said to me the first time I went canoeing.

"Look, kid, it's a paddle, not a spoon!" grin
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 06:41:48 PM »
Mine turns seven in January. I can't wait.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 01:23:53 AM »
Always kinda wished I'd stayed with it.   undecided

Good to know it's still going as strong as ever.  smiley
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 07:19:39 AM »
Sounds like a real hoot!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Maser

• friend
    • The Teen Guns Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 09:57:50 PM »
It's a pity my area of Cali feels the way they do about Cub Scouts because I think it might of been fun when I was a kid.  Maybe things will get better when my boy grows up and maybe he can join.
Why must life be so hard? Why must I cry? Why must I be so wrong? Why must I die?