Author Topic: In need of a new bed..thinking of building one  (Read 1119 times)

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
In need of a new bed..thinking of building one
« on: June 02, 2005, 01:16:21 PM »
Here is the problem -  

My current bed is falling apart its a hand me down from my parents is at least 20 years old (its an old king size waterbed with the sides removed and a mattress sitting on particle board.)  Since we (my fiancée and I) don't have a box spring I am wanting another platform style.  I am not sure if I see the point in spending the money for platform bed retail.
 (Since we have a wedding coming up and a new house soon.. money is tight..isn't it usually though)

My thoughts have been turning to creating one for myself.  I have the power saws and sanders and drills but the plans are getting a bit tricky.  It has been YEARS since I have actually built anything worth mentioning.

As I am starting to draw up plans for a simple platform bed if anyone has advice I will appreciate it.  I figure if I get some decent wood and stain it I can make it look at least as nice as the old hunk of junk that I currently sleep on.   Or if anyone has plans or knows of a website where I can get plans (cheap is better here free plans is the best.  I figure spending money on stain and possibly nice fabric or really nice wood for a headboard will be the only splurge...but will make it look nice...)

Ohh and here is where the tricky part comes in - I want it to have a spot where I can keep a handgun at night.  The great thing about my current bed is its got 3 nice drawers so I just take my handgun out of the safe and open a drawer part way and slide it in. Less than a foot away I have quick easy access to a handgun (that the fiancée doesn't know about (she has a slight fear of guns saying that they should always be locked in the safe"...a lot of good that does.)  I am afraid I will loose this option when I create the new bed but I may be able to figure something out...

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
In need of a new bed..thinking of building one
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 01:45:53 PM »
Take a look at this. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/furniture/1273186.html  Its for childs bed, but should not be hard to scale up
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.