Author Topic: Anyone else feeling an uncontrolled need for root beer lately?  (Read 6259 times)

Rudy Kohn

Re: Anyone else feeling an uncontrolled need for root beer lately?
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2007, 04:41:43 AM »
I don't know about sugar, but that is true regarding natural fat versus hydrogenated oils.

That is really interesting--I have never heard that before.  Perhaps a good reason to use real butter when cooking?

On the other hand,
Perrigue et al (2006) compared the effects of isocaloric servings of colas sweetened HFCS 45, HFCS 55, sucrose, and aspartame on satiety and subsequent energy intake. They found that all of the drinks with caloric sweeteners produced similar satiety responses,

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fructose_corn_syrup, but it does quote a real article:  Perrigue et al. in Proceedings from Experimental Biology, 2006.  (Not a great citation, thanks wiki), as well as another by Melanson, also in Proc. Exp. Biol., 2006.

So, I guess what my friend said is probably not true.

Also, thanks for the welcome, Antibubba!  smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2007, 05:30:25 AM »
I've heard that the "I'm full" response from eating or drinking something sweet isn't actually a message sent from the stomach to the brain, like when you eat something, but it's messages from the taste receptors to the brain kicking off endorphins and other chemicals. In other words, your brain is happy, so it thinks that your stomach is full. Sort of a reverse message.

True or not, I don't know.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2007, 08:03:52 AM »
Rudy,

Trans fats (hydrogenated oils) still contain bad fats.  The problem comes when a person eats the trans-fats to satiate a desire for fat.  The trans-fats don't trigger the "mmmmm, that was some good fat I just ate; I'm full now" switch, so a person will still want the fat the body needs.  If a person keeps eating trans-fats to satisfy the craving then their overall caloric intake increases as well as increased fat intake.

Perhaps a good reason to use real butter when cooking?
Yep.  I always suggest using real food, natural food, not man-made garbage.  Gimme me real fat and real sugar.  That's what my body was designed to handle.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 06:05:47 AM »
The local grocery store has a shelf right when you walk in the store of various items that are 10 for $10 One of the things they always have is 24 oz bottles of Root Beer (Dad's , Mug etc.) I normally grab a bottle or two and stash 'em in the frig in the garage.   

I'm not supposed to be drinking soda, but one or a two a week can't be too bad (plus there's  no caffeine in root beer, which is a big NO-NO with my doc.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2007, 10:13:43 AM »
I'm not supposed to be drinking soda, but one or a two a week can't be too bad (plus there's  no caffeine in root beer, which is a big NO-NO with my doc.)

Actually, there was caffeine in Barq's the last time I looked.  That suprised me, as I had always thought, like you, that root beer universally had no caffeine.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.