Author Topic: Help!!! Windows Me Troubles  (Read 1549 times)

Waitone

• friend
Help!!! Windows Me Troubles
« on: June 03, 2005, 09:50:45 AM »
I went to reinstall an HP driver for my printer and was greated with a nasty-gram from Windows informing me that I was missing the following file:

C:\windows\temp\PFTB36~1\OJ\SETUP.LID

So I go to the appropriate file and sure enuf setup.lid is indeed missing.

My problem:
--Emachine distribution disc will reload windows and I will have to reload my software. . .according to the instruction manual.
--I don't have a commercial, store bought Me disc

All I need is one little bitty file.  I would prefer not to trash my entire hard drive.  Trouble is I need my printer and I evidently will not get it ot operate until the driver is installed and the driver won't be installed until I find the missing file.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Preacherman

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 10:24:24 AM »
If the file is part of the printer driver, simply download a new and updated printer driver from HP.  Their driver download page is:

http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html?pageDisplay=drivers

Choose the driver for your particular printer and go for it.  On the other hand, if the file is part of Windows, then you may have to get it from somewhere else.  Since you don't want to do a full reinstall, why not find another friend with Windows ME and simply make a diskette copy of the missing file, then load it in the appropriate directory?
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 10:54:37 AM »
Problem solved.  I restarted the computer and it loaded the driver just fine even though the required file was still not present.

Oh the wonders of Microsoft.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 02:21:17 PM »
There is an easier fix that will help with all future ME problems... and trust me you will have more.
That is to dump it and install 98SE, 2, or XP  
Even M$ admitted what a POS ME was and dumped all support for it.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 06:31:14 PM »
what veloce 851 said.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 09:54:50 PM »
ME was a crappy OS, and I usually have no problem with Windows.

Also, you'd be suprised at how much the vendors can screw Windows up.  The OS was a good bit different from when I was using the vendor suplied copy, to when I went to a retail copy of Windows.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'