Author Topic: Sunglasses, where to buy online?  (Read 5273 times)

Smoke

Sunglasses, where to buy online?
« on: June 04, 2005, 01:24:39 AM »
It's time for some new shades.  I've always been partial to Ray Ban's, but not necessarily looking for just that.  Gargoyles, Oakleys (got other suggestions?)

Anybody know a reasonably reputable plae online that has good prices?

Thanks for you help.

Smoke

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 02:25:22 AM »
You wont find a discount on Oakleys, they're very, very strict on their minimum advertised price.  The best you can hope for is the company to throw in free 2-day shipping or a free case.

Kharn

DigMe

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 04:37:48 AM »
+1 on the Oakley's.  I found one place that had the models I wanted for 10 bucks less than most but the high shipping equalized it.  rolleyes  Your only hope for a discount is a buddy who gets the military LEO discount or an employee discount at a store that sells them. They have huge markup unfortunately.

I've never ordered from them but here's a Gargoyle's liquidator with a ton of models for real cheap:
http://www.idealtrade.com/

They also have some other brands.  I bought some new sunglasses about a month ago and I was flip-flopping back and forth.  I ended up being convinced that Oakleys are best for my needs.  They have certified impact protection for hunting and shooting and from a test I saw they also seem to be the most optically true glasses out there.  

There's a thread over at THR in Accessories called "About Oakley sunglasses" that helped convince me to get them.  As it is I got their cheapest model, the Fives 2.0, because it's about all I could afford.  I'm very happy with them though so far.  I've worn them shooting, turkey hunting, boating etc..  THey run about $65.

brad cook

DigMe

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 04:44:39 AM »
Here's a link to the THR thread about Oakley's:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=134456

There's a link to the sunglasses testing done by Private Pilot Magazine in there somewhere.  Unfortunately Gargoyle's were not included in the testing.  I wish they had been.

brad cook

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 09:37:12 AM »
I used to buy Oakleys religiously  

Now I just reccomend $10 specials at wally world or your average sporting goods store.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 04:56:04 PM »
I just bought a pair of these at Wallyworld for $20.  They fit over my prescription glasses, are polarized, and optically as good as you can get IMO

http://www.eyesave.com/products/_solar.shield.fit.overs_sunglasses-cid_1-mid_281__brands.aspx

Although that may not be what you had in mind.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 05:28:00 PM »
Wal-Mart.  Especially if you are like me, and are lucky if you get a year out of them before they are lost/broken/uncomfortable.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

DigMe

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 06:10:07 PM »
Quote from: RileyMc
optically as good as you can get IMO
I have my doubts.

BTW, I found the link to that study comparing the optical quality of various sunglasses.  Yes, it is a link from Oakley's website but they had nothing to do with it.  The testing was done by a private lab and commissioned by Private Pilot Magazine.

http://oakley.com/media/brochures/private_pilot/results.pdf

brad cook

client32

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 04:09:30 AM »
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 05:19:32 AM »
For prescription glasses, 39dollarglasses.com did me right. you'd *better* feed them the right data though, it's a prime example of "you get exactly what you ask for, no more, no less". Still, my $100 experiment landed me a set of glasses that are off, but really nice frames I can use again with other lenses. Live and learn.

I have -7 or -7.25 (remember wat I said about data?) vision and I can't *stand* slipovers.