Author Topic: Used Diesel pickups  (Read 2466 times)

onions!

Re: Used Diesel pickups
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 01:38:47 PM »
If you handy guys want a project then why not install a 4 cyl Isuzu or Mitsubishi truck diesel into a pick-up.The engines are near bulletproof,have dealer support,& get suprising mileage out of 4-5 liters.Pretty smooth too.The 2001 GMC W-4500 that I occasionally drive uses a 4HE1 turbo diesel &,w/a 14ft box will get low-mid teens @ 65 on the highway.Picture an eight foot wide ten foot tall 12,000lb brick through the air.

IIRC,there is a kit to put the older(180-220hp-400lb ft) 4BD1-T(Isuzu) in front of a 4l80e trans in a GM truck.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 02:43:49 PM »
If you handy guys want a project then why not install a 4 cyl Isuzu or Mitsubishi truck diesel into a pick-up.The engines are near bulletproof,have dealer support,& get suprising mileage out of 4-5 liters.Pretty smooth too.The 2001 GMC W-4500 that I occasionally drive uses a 4HE1 turbo diesel &,w/a 14ft box will get low-mid teens @ 65 on the highway.Picture an eight foot wide ten foot tall 12,000lb brick through the air.

IIRC,there is a kit to put the older(180-220hp-400lb ft) 4BD1-T(Isuzu) in front of a 4l80e trans in a GM truck.

I'm not handy enough, unfortuantly.

Yeah, a Ferrari diesel! small displacement with lots of cylinders has it's own problems with efficiency, complexity, weight, and cost.

Well, from what I've seen, for efficiency you generally want as few cylinders as you can get away with.  Lacking Ubermaterial for the shafts and such, single cylinders are limited to pretty small jobs where you can overstrength the shafts to a large degree rather trivially.  Or at least have a relatively huge mass in rotation to keep stuff even.  As you get larger though, relative strengths get smaller, it takes more material to do things, and you end up just accepting the complexity and efficiency penalties to put more cylinders in.

A high torque(not necessarily 200hp) 4 cylinder engine with a 5 or 6 speed transmission should be able to propel a light truck through most anything somebody who isn't looking to pull heavy trailors will want it to do.  While getting good fuel mileage.  Might even beat many of the hybrids, at least on the highway.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »
I'm just getting too old and tired to do an engine conversion project at this point in my life.  When I was younger, I would tear into most anything.  I used to take bits and pieces from junkyards and farm auctions and build hydraulic loaders, sawmills, etc ...

I need to have a vehicle that is able to pull horse/stock and equipment trailers, but I don't necessarily need to pull them very far or fast.  And there's just not the long hills around here like in Colorado.  It may bug the guy behind me if I have to gear down on the grades, but I can still get there Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin