Author Topic: 70 yr old woman arrested for not watering lawn  (Read 3628 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
70 yr old woman arrested for not watering lawn
« on: July 09, 2007, 05:52:47 AM »
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=481&sid=1444771

Woman Arrested for Not Watering Lawn
July 6, 2007

Sam Penrod Reporting

A widow and grandma spent the morning in jail, arrested for refusing to give a policeman her name when he tried writing her a ticket for failing to water her yard. The woman hasn't watered her lawn in more than a year, and the condition of her yard violates an Orem zoning ordinance.

Tonight, the woman says she is traumatized and shocked that she was hauled to jail, just because she says she can't afford to water her lawn.

Betty Perry says, "I never thought they would ever do anything like that to a person that is 70 years old. I've never bothered anybody, I've never hurt anybody."

She says the policeman who brought her home tonight was very courteous, even held open the door for her. But there were no gentlemen there when she was taken from her home this morning and booked into jail.

When Betty Perry heard a knock at her door and saw a police officer standing outside, she never imagined she would end up in jail. That's what happened, though, when the officer tried enforcing Orem's nuisance ordinance against neglected yards.

"I didn't want to tell him anything until I talked to a lawyer or my son. I wanted to see what he'd tell me to do. I've never had any experience before with the law, ever in my life," she said.

As the enforcement officer started writing her a ticket, she tried going back in her house. That's when the officer tried to handcuff her for refusing to give her name and resisting the ticket. She tripped on the steps, scraping up her nose and elbows, leaving blood on her door, her porch and her clothes. Perry was handcuffed, fingerprinted and put in a jail cell, where she sat for more than an hour.

"I laid down in there. I never seen the inside of a jail before. I didn't know how it looked, I was really scared," she says.

When police brass learned what happened, she was immediately released.

Orem police spokesman Lt. Doug Edwards said, "Every officer in his career has situations they find themselves getting into, at the end of it they scratch their head and say, gosh, how did this happen?' Today, I think, was one of those days. Clearly there were some other options available."

After being arrested, Perry is now scared of the police. She says, "Don't ever say no when the police tell you do to something. You better do what they tell you no matter what, even if you don't have anybody to help you. You've got to do what they tell you or they will hurt you."

The officer was sent home for the day and placed on paid administrative leave. Police are not pressing any charges against Betty Perry for either neglecting her yard or resisting the ticket.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: 70 yr old woman arrested for not watering lawn
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 06:03:16 AM »
After being arrested, Perry is now scared of the police. She says, "Don't ever say no when the police tell you do to something. You better do what they tell you no matter what, even if you don't have anybody to help you. You've got to do what they tell you or they will hurt you."

Which is exactly why they do these kind of things in the first place.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 06:31:33 AM »
That cop's gonna have some interesting nicknames to deal with.  "Hey, lawnmower, busted any little old ladies, lately?", etc.  And his top-cop bosses probably won't look favorably, come promotion time.  "That boy's sorta short on smarts."--which is true.

By the time folks around town get done laughing at the cops over this one, I'd bet that the only dealings they'd have with little old ladies would be to help carry groceries or cross a street.

Art

The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 07:27:30 AM »

Well, just so long as she's learned her place.  angry

She says the policeman who brought her home tonight was very courteous, even held open the door for her. But there were no gentlemen there when she was taken from her home this morning and booked into jail.
and

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 07:30:20 AM »
I didn't know El Tejon was moonlighting as a cop in Utah  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 09:13:02 AM »
Apparently, this woman is a known neighborhood nutjob who started screaming "police brutality" right away, and refused to tell the cop her name and then fell on her own, injuring herself. Her neighbor across the street piped up and gave his account, which doesn't have the same spin this writer gave the story.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 09:16:16 AM »
Ironically enough, there are places where watering your lawn is illegal when the state determines that there are drought conditions.  I have heard of people getting ticketed for that here, after a warning, but never arrested.  I suppose in another couple generations that lawn care will be provided by Uncle Sam because it is too confusing for an individual to determine what the state requires.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 09:25:54 AM »
The officer was sent home for the day and placed on paid administrative leave.
Rewarded with a paid vacation for roughing up a little old lady. Nice going, officer!  police

OK, so there are two spins on the story . . . but if someone - anyone - had treated my mother the way the original posting alleges . . . I'd probably be in jail (or worse) and the one who did it would be in intensive care (at best.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 09:38:12 AM »
Rewarded with a paid vacation for roughing up a little old lady. Nice going, officer!  police

OK, so there are two spins on the story . . . but if someone - anyone - had treated my mother the way the original posting alleges . . . I'd probably be in jail (or worse) and the one who did it would be in intensive care (at best.)

Hopefully, my mother would have known enough to just provide her name and ask why she was being ticketed.  She could fight the ticket later.

I am certainly not defending how this was handled.  This seems like a stupid thing to be ticketed for and this cop could have handled this a lot better.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 11:23:34 AM »
Give that officer the Officer of the Year Award!  What a great job. police

Pack the bags, I'm moving to Utah.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 11:38:06 AM »
I don't really have anything to add to this thread...other than the story pisses me off.

But I did just now notice Dasmi's sig...it's wild, crazy, and disgusting at the same time.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 12:14:54 PM »
What can anger you when a Lawn Criminal goes to jail?

You're soft on Lawn Crime! police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 12:17:28 PM »
Ok now I'm convinced.
El Tejon is really Maddox in disguise.
Every time you post I'm reminded of this:  http://store.theworstpageintheuniverse.com/shirts.html#CIVILBLACKRED
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 01:04:52 PM »
Rewarded with a paid vacation for roughing up a little old lady. Nice going, officer!

Paid administrative 'leave' is a standard procedure when they're in the process of deciding whether or not you're fit to continue working your job.  From my understanding it's not like being on vacation, you're essentially on call, probably at some office somewhere, for them to question you and fill out paperwork and such.

You're on 'leave' because you're not allowed to do your job, but you're paid because you haven't been found guilty yet(or otherwise worthy of being fired/fined/demoted/reprimanded).

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 01:48:21 PM »
Well, if he is fired for protecting the property values of Orem, Utah, I will have my neighborhood association hire him at once.

Imagine him goose stepping about kicking into a coma those who fail to pick up their trash cans by 7:00 pm, torturing those who park with two wheels over the curb, cutting the eyes open and pouring in gasoline of those who do not cut their grass, shooting in the back of the head those who have flaking paint on their buildings. 

Ahhh, what a beautiful sight. angel police

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 02:10:03 PM »
Last summer, during the '20 year drought' we were experiencing, my 'burb was under severe watering restrictions. My neighbor from across the street had the gall to put a note on my door about my 'dead grass' while at the same time he was covertly running his irrigation system nightly between 0200-0400.

Of course, our drought was broken about a month ago. Now he can't figure out why he's got those big patches of dead grass in the middle of his lawn. I just laugh, and thank Monsanto and the cover of darkness.

Bastages.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 05:21:22 PM »
Did you at least spell something out?
D. R. ZINN

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 04:51:33 AM »
There are always two or three or ten sides to every story. I have now seen a couple different sides of it. I am not sure what to make of it. I am not sure how it works in Utah, but here the owner of the property is not usually cited, it is the property itself. There would be no reason the owner would have to give her name.

One would think that somewhere along the line a cop would get some training on tact, especially when dealing with seniors who may not be completely all together upstairs.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 08:36:42 AM »
I saw mentions of weeper hoses and watering between 0200 and 0400 in the morning....

I think that I'd at least mention that if you're going to water your lawn, these are some of the more water efficient ways to do it.

Weeper hoses don't spew water up into the air, to have something like 30% of it evaporate before it can soak into the ground, and watering in the early morning(generally when it's coolest) helps reduce evaporation because the sun's not heating everything up and evaporating the water.

That doesn't mean that breaking the law and wasting water on keeping your lawn green when they're so short on water that they're imposing restrictions isn't being an ass.

Neither is berating somebody who's lawn isn't green because they didn't choose to water it.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 09:39:16 AM »
Wow, break the law to save your lawn?  That's a real Lawn Nazi problem! shocked

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 09:50:31 AM »
Fertilizer works nicely for lawn graffitti too... And with the proper spreader, it's pretty fast. A friend back in Kentucky, during the days when the bales would occasionally plummet from the sky, did a big "X" target in a field next to his house. Nothing ever landed tho...

Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 09:52:29 AM »
...during the days when the bales would occasionally plummet from the sky...
Say what?  Obviously I am missing something here.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

ONE-SHOT-ONE

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 12:25:20 PM »
"Apparently, this woman is a known neighborhood nutjob who started screaming "police brutality" right away, and refused to tell the cop her name and then fell on her own, injuring herself. Her neighbor across the street piped up and gave his account, which doesn't have the same spin this writer gave the story."

anyone else think that this might be the neighbor who called the cops in the first place?

just one more spin! laugh

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 01:04:04 PM »
Say what?  Obviously I am missing something here.

Certain countryside fields make good night-time drop zones for folks who lurv their wacky weed shipments.

If you have access to nearby or adjacent field, imitating the drop zone markings with a big "X" may confuse the pilots (probably already using the stuff) and net you your own bale of wacky weed, which you then grab and high-tail out of there before the originally intended recipients figure out what went wrong.

Free enterprise, distilled down to its bare essence.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 02:32:56 PM »
Did you at least spell something out?

only if you connect the dots, and then, you have to back up a ways from it...

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein