Author Topic: 70 yr old woman arrested for not watering lawn  (Read 3629 times)

stevelyn

• friend
Re: 70 yr old woman arrested for not watering lawn
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 02:50:42 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how or why a govt has the authority to make a person water or not water their private property. undecided
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 04:04:57 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how or why a govt has the authority to make a person water or not water their private property. undecided

As the taxman says, the problem is your thinking of it as yours.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2007, 05:21:49 PM »

As the taxman says, the problem is your thinking of it as yours.

Hmmmm...........part of the reason my retirement property will be outside borough and city boundries.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 07:21:56 PM »

Yes, I know it's not a libertarian idea, but:

1.  Many cities have been built in excessivly arid areas, or at least outgrown their native water supplies
2.  Reservoirs only hold so much, you can only pull so much water from rivers without massive ecological damage.
3.  Water is necessary for life
4.  Water is pretty much necessary for modern sanitation levels.
5.  Of all the things to cut water usage down on, watering your lawn is one of the easiest to cut out to save large amounts of water.  Many such areas also have car wash bans, but that's marginal.

During droughts, it's prudent to limit your water usage.

Personally, I'd simply offer the first 2k or so gallons for the cheap 'poor people have to drink too', and gradually ramp it up to 'You might as well water your lawn with Evian'.  Assuming that the water company is either publicly owned or a coop or such.  Offer some rebates or such for people to swap out water-inefficient appliances with water saving ones.

griz

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 02:40:00 AM »
While I understand the state has a valid interest in how the water supply is used, there are times when the decisions are so biased against the common man that it rubs me the wrong way.  Specifically, here at least, there have been times when you couldn't water your lawn and the car washes were closed, yet the golf courses were allowed to water their grass.  I have nothing against golfers, but I don't think they are any more sensitive to brown grass than anyone else.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2007, 03:24:11 AM »
. . . Specifically, here at least, there have been times when you couldn't water your lawn and the car washes were closed, yet the golf courses were allowed to water their grass. 
Makes you wish you could buy Round-Up cheap in 55 gallon drums, right?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain