Author Topic: Looking for a CHEAP used Laptop Computer  (Read 1088 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Looking for a CHEAP used Laptop Computer
« on: July 09, 2007, 11:45:37 AM »
Now that Mrs. Scout is working form home down in the basement office, I've lost the use of the family computer during the day.  I could go down there in the evening to write/work but that cuts into family time.

So what I'm looking for is a used, cheap, laptop.  All I need is something that I can plug the DSL line into to get on the web and it and has Word and Excel.   Nothing fancy, but I'd prefer something that isn't steam powered.... rolleyes

So if you (or your company) has an old laptop that's a couple of years out of dateand is just sitting around collecting dust, and rather then tossing it into the trash, let me know (scout26 at sbcglobal dot net) and maybe we can work something out.  I've checked on Evil-bay, but I'd prefer to send some money to someone here rather then an E-bayer. 

Did I mention cheap Huh??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Looking for a CHEAP used Laptop Computer
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 12:06:31 PM »
surplus sales at Universities

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 02:09:41 PM »
Define Cheap.
 rolleyes
Check www.outlet.dell.com
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 05:06:07 PM »
One of the business lease resellers that G98 listed on some thread.  When my wife's laptop was out of commission, I was going to buy one of the off-lease IBM Thinkpads as Plan B, if I couldn't fix her laptop.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

bunni

• imfdb.org
    • Internet Movie Firearms Database
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 06:43:25 PM »
For cheap computers, there is only one...

Laptop listings on eBay ending within the hour under $100.

An uncle-in-law picked up a .99 cent laptop for his mother to browse the internet/email with, it had a few dead pixels - otherwise fine.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 10:25:44 AM »

So if you (or your company) has an old laptop that's a couple of years out of dateand is just sitting around collecting dust, and rather then tossing it into the trash, let me know (scout26 at sbcglobal dot net) and maybe we can work something out.  I've checked on Evil-bay, but I'd prefer to send some money to someone here rather then an E-bayer. 

Did I mention cheap Huh??

I have a couple older laptops and desktops around the apartment.  If you want, I can have a look and shoot you the specs.  Got plenty of CRT monitors too.  Heck, I'd gladly give ya half a dozen for free.  Shipping is overly expensive tho.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 06:17:03 PM »
RevDisk:

If you need to unload some computer gear, there is likely a freecycle group near you.

also, several charities make use of old IT gear.  One such swooned over my ancient HP-UX 725, as they were hurting for a super-reliable box to host their website.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 05:59:22 AM »
Revdisk,

Yeah, I'd be interested in an old laptop.  I just need something that I'd could work on at the dining room table and put away when I'm done/it's time to put dinner on the table.  grin   I'd (obviously) cover shipping.

Thanks !!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 08:33:50 AM »
RevDisk:

If you need to unload some computer gear, there is likely a freecycle group near you.

also, several charities make use of old IT gear.  One such swooned over my ancient HP-UX 725, as they were hurting for a super-reliable box to host their website.

I've helped salvage PC's for schools before.  I'll look into freecycle or similiar for the CRT's.  We made a major shift over to flat panels, so... 

Revdisk,

Yeah, I'd be interested in an old laptop.  I just need something that I'd could work on at the dining room table and put away when I'm done/it's time to put dinner on the table.     I'd (obviously) cover shipping.

Thanks !!

Alrighty, I'll look through my stash of laptops and see what I can get working.  Absolutely, positively no guarentees or warrantees of any kind.  Most of the free kit I get is either off warrant or not worth fixing for business purposes.   (ie, we know it CAN be fixed, just not worth the man hours and expense to do so.)   CRT's and PC's as I said would be absolutely no problem.  Heck, I could chuck in a nonfunctional junker for possible spare parts.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.