Author Topic: Light-bulb ban craze exceeds disposal plans  (Read 6972 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Light-bulb ban craze exceeds disposal plans
« on: July 09, 2007, 02:47:45 PM »
When they really start talking of outlawing incandescent bulbs I will have to purchase a life-time supply.

Light-bulb ban craze exceeds disposal plans
Facts about CFLs, heir to incandescents, downplayed in government-enviro push

By Joseph Farah

WASHINGTON  As state and foreign governments enact forced phase-outs of incandescent light bulbs, consumers are being kept in the dark about the many downsides of compact fluorescent lamps, replacements being billed as an environmental and energy-savings panacea.

Across the U.S., schoolchildren are being urged to replace incandescent light bulbs in their homes, state legislatures are following the leads of foreign governments in banning the sale of the bulbs in the future and the federal Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Agency are highly recommending the switch to CFLs. Businesses like Wal-Mart are also pushing CFLs hard, as are environmental groups. But safe disposal plans and recycling centers for the mercury-laden compact fluorescent lamps, seen as the future, lag behind the hype.

So, too, does the truth about what will become mandatory, fine-imposed handling requirements for CFLs by homeowners and businesses.

While CFLs arguably use less energy and last longer than incandescents, there is one serious environmental drawback  the presence of small amounts of highly toxic mercury in each and every bulb. This poses problems for consumers when breakage occurs and for disposal when bulbs eventually do burn out.

Most consumers, even those already using the CFLs, do not realize the long-term dangers the bulbs pose to the environment and the health of human beings.

While the EPA is on the CFL bandwagon as a means of reducing carbon-dioxide in the atmosphere, which it believes contributes to global warming, it also quietly offers advice on cleanup of broken bulbs that might give consumers pause to consider dumping those incandescents any time soon.

When a CFL breaks, the EPA cautions consumers to open a window and leave the room immediately for at least 15 minutes because of the mercury threat. The agency suggests removing all materials by scooping fragments and powder using cardboard or stiff paper. Sticky tape is suggested as a way to get smaller particles. The EPA says vacuum cleaners and bare hands should never be used in such cleanups.

After final cleanup with a damp paper towel, the agency warns consumers to place all materials in a plastic bag.

"Seal and dispose of properly," says the EPA. "Wash hands."

But disposing of properly might be a tough thing to do, because CFLs should never be thrown in the trash like their old-fashioned incandescent predecessors. They need to be turned into recycling centers, which are few and far between.

When laws banning incandescent bulbs take effect, so do the mandatory fines on consumers and businesses that dispose of the new CFLs improperly.

Though the amount of mercury in each bulb is small  about 4 milligrams  the potential environmental hazard created by the mass introduction of billions of CFLs with few disposal sites and a public unfamiliar with the risks is great.

To address the concern, Wal-Mart announced earlier this month that its suppliers  mainly in China  have agreed to reduce the amount of mercury in the bulbs. Yet the announcement itself came as something of a shock to many consumers who were blindsided about the risks of mercury.

Mercury is probably best-known for its effects on the nervous system. It can also damage the kidneys and liver, and in sufficient quantities can cause death.

With an estimated 150 million CFLs sold in the United States in 2006 and with Wal-Mart alone projecting sales of 100 million this year, some scientists and environmentalists are worried far too many will wind up in garbage dumps.

When sufficient mercury accumulates in a landfill, it can be emitted into the air and water in the form of vaporous methyl-mercury. From there, it can easily get into the food chain.

"Disposal of any mercury-contaminated material in landfills is absolutely alarming to me," says Steve Lindberg, emeritus fellow of the U.S. Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

The answer, of course, would be recycling and disposal centers. However, it is questionable whether consumers can be counted upon to bring their burned out and broken bulbs to special collection centers voluntarily. That's why most of the laws banning incandescents also include fines for improper disposal of CFLs.

Those provisions in the new laws may be as hard to find for consumers as the fine print on CFL packaging warning them not to breathe the dust from broken bulbs. LampRecycle.org offers a good sampling of existing regulations.

Many waste centers that are set up to accept CFL recycling currently have only one collection day per year.

Consumers are discovering other downsides of CFLs besides convenience and safety issues:

Most do not work with dimmer switches

They are available in only a few sizes

Some emit a bluish light

Some people say they get headaches while working or reading under them

They cannot be used in recessed lighting enclosures or enclosed globes

Fires are seen as a slight possibility
When CFLs do burn out, they often create some smoke, which consumers have found alarming. This is a result of the plastic on the bulb's ballast melting and turning black. CFL manufacturers dismiss safety concerns.

Despite the drawbacks, Australia, Canada and the European Union have all moved to ban incandescent bulbs. California, Connecticut, North Carolina and Rhode Island, are all in the process of legislating an end to Edison's greatest invention. Even local towns and cities are getting into the act.

But the craze didn't start in Europe of Australia or Canada. It started in Fidel Castro's Cuba. His action in banning the incandescent bulb was followed up quickly by Hugo Chavez's Venezuela. Only then did the trend continue in the industrialized western nations.

Recycling experts say the solutions are at least five years away. Meanwhile, millions of consumers and green activists are being persuaded to make the switch now.

Governments may indeed be promoting a kind of lighting that is itself nearly obsolete. Fluorescent lights are nothing new. They've been around for a long time. And while they may save money, some say the public hasn't chosen them for good reasons  including, but not limited to, the mercury issue.

Some experts predict the next generation of lighting, though, is LED lights. They are made from semiconductor materials that emit light when an electrical current flows through them. When this form of light takes over, all bulbs will be obsolete. Your wall tiles can light up. Curtains and drapes can light up. Even your dining room table could be made to light up  at exactly the level you want. And the best news is  no toxic waste.

That's what is ahead in the next decade, according to some in the industry.

Nobody promoted CFLs as aggressively as IKEA. Not only does the retailer sell them, it also provides one of the very few recycling centers for the burned out bulbs. But even with a plethora of recycling centers, how will the public view the prospect of saving up dead bulbs and transporting them to recycling centers? And how about the danger of breakage in that process?

"The industry is currently aiming at totally mercury-free CFL lighting, but this is still five to 10 years away," admits IKEA.

Those who really care about this problem right now are those involved in the waste industry.

"Most agree more energy-efficient light bulbs can significantly curb air pollution, but fewer people are talking about how to deal with them at the end of their lives," explained a page 1 story in the April 2 issue of Waste News. It goes on to explain "there is no plan to address air and water pollution concerns that could develop if consumers improperly dispose of the mercury-containing devices."

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
Re: Light-bulb ban craze exceeds disposal plans
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 03:11:33 PM »
I really like the CFL light bulbs because they save energy and thus, lowers my electric bill. I don't always care for the light coloration that they give off. My wife absolutely HATES them. (She NEVER seems to change the burnt out bulbs in our 9 Ft ceiling.  rolleyes Since I am stuck with changing them out all the time, I'd rather them last longer so I don't have to grab a ladder so often. I can often find them pretty cheap. Disposal is the biggest problem. Another advantage/ sometimes a drawback is that they don't put off much heat, so in winter, the incandescents will actually warm up a room. The CFLs won't. They also take a bit longer to "warm up" when it's cold outside. I'm not head over heels in love with CFLs, but I like them, on the whole.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 04:12:01 PM »
I've noticed a considerable difference in my energy bill since switching over to CFLs.

I enjoy the freedom to choose incandescent, fluorescent, or LED lighting at my whim.

The topic was previously discussed at length here:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=5853.0

As for the mercury contamination scare, there's some junk science on both sides of that argument.  Think along the line of swill promulgated by the carbon credit gang. 

Typical CF bulbs have approximately 5 milligrams of mercury.  I'd be more worried about canned tuna. 

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=7254.msg117466#msg117466

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 04:16:12 PM »
I've noticed a considerable difference in my energy bill since switching over to CFLs.

I've noticed they keep a room cooler than traditional bulbs, too.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 04:34:34 PM »
I changed my house almost completely over to CFLs and yes, I use them in recessed and globe enclosed fixtures. No, I'm not a greenie by the wildest stretch of the imagination. I'm just a cheap bassit looking to lower my power bills.
The only drawback I've found is if you need light at -40 F, be prepared to stand in the dark for a minute.

Once LED technology progresses a little more and costs come down, I may switch over to those.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 06:10:20 PM »
"They cannot be used in recessed lighting enclosures or enclosed globes"

Say what?

That's news to me.

I have at least a dozen at my home and my parent's home, many of which are in recessed or enclosed globe fixtures.

I like the things.

A lot.

I'm slowly switching more and more of my lights over to CFLs.

New CFLs are far better than the old ones at giving realistic colors.

Three 100-watt equivalent CFLs in the chandalier light my parents large dining room FAR better than 5 60-watt incandescents. I had 5 100-watt equiv. CFLs in the chandalier earlier, but it was simply too frigging bright.

The recycling issue is, however, a major concern.

And, CFLs are now available in sizes equivalent to 200 watts, I believe.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 06:18:15 PM »
good in trouble lights for the garage,  because they resist the usual jolts and drops that would be fatal for a regular ol bulb. 

otherwise,  not so much interested.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 07:05:18 PM »
I'm waiting for the LED lightbulbs to become more cost effective, too.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

USMILNET

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 07:16:59 PM »
"They cannot be used in recessed lighting enclosures or enclosed globes"

Say what?

I have no idea what makes a CFL okay in an enclosed fixture and what doesn't, but the packages on ones I've bought clearly state "safe for enclosed fixtures" or "not for use in enclosed fixtures". I can't see a discernible physical difference in the bulbs though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 07:33:03 PM »
Why don't we just burn Liar Gore instead?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 07:52:33 PM »
I bought one, but I haven't been able to use it yet.

I had to replace a 40-watt bulb in a small lamp, but the lamp shade is designed to clamp onto the standard round bulb.

I can't use it to replace the small bulbs in my chandeliers, or the Christmas-size bulbs in my automatic night lights.

Won't replace the halogen bulbs in my halogen lamps.

But, I think it's a good idea.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 10:31:07 PM »
They actually DO make dimmable CFL's.

Philips invented them recently, but everyone's got them if you look.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00013VM58

They also make "Three Way" CFL's for lamps, too.

Home Depot sells 'em both.
Also, about the light color shade, the brand sold at Home Depot shows you what "temperature" of light color they emit.
I don't mean how much heat the bulbs give off, but wether they give off a "warm" light, like a candle, fireplace, or regular incandescent, or a "cold" light, like normal flourescents, the sun, etc.

Colors around 3200K are "warm" and more pleasing to people who are used to regular incandescent lights.  5500K lights are "colder" and can annoy people; like me.

All my CFL's are in the 3200K reigon, and they work great.  My wife loves 'em.  I love the lower power bill.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 04:44:25 AM »
My beef with them is that the claimed life expectancy is seriously overrated, as is the amount of usable light produced. I have dozens of them and few have lasted the 5-7 years claimed. Many have failed within a few days. I write the date I install them on the lamp base. One failed yesterday that I installed in jan of this year.

Ironically, the ones that seem to have lasted the longest are the ones I bought about seven years ago. they are still working. The newer ones are much cheaper, and they jsut do not last. I had one that got so hot that the glass broke on the bulb.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 04:53:25 AM »
"My beef with them is that the claimed life expectancy is seriously overrated."

I have three in fixtures outside my home.

The two in front have been in the fixtures for 3 years each, had burn an average of 8 hours a day, every day.

The one on the back patio has been in the fixture for 5 years, and has been on 24x7x365.

"Many have failed within a few days."

I've never had one fail after a few days; far from it.

You may wish to see if you have issues with your power supply or grounding.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 05:02:13 AM »
I have also noticed that their claims to longevity seem to be overrated. However, they STILL last much longer than the incandescent bulbs.

USMILNET

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 05:50:17 AM »
Word on the street is that the cheaper versions (like what you find at Dollar Store) will go Tango Uniform more quickly than others.  I bought a really cheap 4-pack at Harbor Freight a while ago, and lost one so far - but its ballast was loud to begin with.  I still have the receipt somewhere, I should take it back for a refund/replacement.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 06:02:58 AM »
"Word on the street is that the cheaper versions (like what you find at Dollar Store) will go Tango Uniform more quickly than others."

And that's a surpise?

All of my CFs are either Phillips or GE. I'm not at all a fan of Sylvania.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 06:10:28 AM »
No, it doesn't surprise me, just offering a possible explanation for ilbob's longevity issues. 

When I moved from Florida to Wisconsin last year, I brought my Philips CFLs with me.   grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 06:17:48 AM »
OK, gotcha.

The one thing that does sometimes sort of bother me about CFLs is that they have a warm up period to get to full output.

That's not such an issue in my bathroom, where the lower light output at first is a little easier on the eyes, but it's more of an issue in the den or the family room.

Over the next few months I'm going to be renovating my basement and I'll be replacing the surface mount fluroescents with recessed cans.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 07:09:39 AM »
Word on the street is that the cheaper versions (like what you find at Dollar Store) will go Tango Uniform more quickly than others.  I bought a really cheap 4-pack at Harbor Freight a while ago, and lost one so far - but its ballast was loud to begin with.  I still have the receipt somewhere, I should take it back for a refund/replacement.

IMO, buying things at a dollar store that use a high-voltage ballast and close-quarters circuitry constantly connected to 120v AC is a good way to be awakened by fire engines.

Cheap extension cords from dollar stores cause thousands of fires every year, and I wouldn't be surprised if the no-name CFs from "Xinhua Ultimate Quality Industry" or whatever assembled in a sweatshop in some forsaken Chinese province also might overheat and burn.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 07:16:44 AM »
Hey, Mike... Can I have the old ones? I don't have enough room in The Bunker for cans.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 07:17:15 AM »
"buying things at a dollar store..."

Not to mention toothpaste.

Apparently a bunch of counterfeit Crest toothpaste came in from China and was just loaded with bacteria.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 07:20:16 AM »
"buying things at a dollar store..."

Not to mention toothpaste.

Apparently a bunch of counterfeit Crest toothpaste came in from China and was just loaded with bacteria.

Colgate as well.

It also contained diethylene glycol. Yummy antifreeze in toothpaste! I guess they figured "Hey, it tastes sweet, it's cheaper..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 07:21:52 AM »
You really want to pay shipping from Virginia to Louisiana on something you can probably purchase for $15 at Lowes?

Actually, I'll very likely be putting these in my Mom's basement.

It's simply too damned dark down there.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 07:22:46 AM »
"It also contained diethylene glycol."

A Simpsons episode springs to mind...