Author Topic: Boston MA. Activists to rally for ballots in Chinese  (Read 1046 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Boston MA. Activists to rally for ballots in Chinese
« on: July 09, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
I thought that you had to be a citizen to vote.  I thought that to become a naturalized citizen you had to be able to read and speak English.  A natural born citizen should have learned English as they grew up.  Did I miss something?

Activists to rally for ballots in Chinese
Plan to urge Galvin to end opposition
By Peter Schworm, Globe Staff 
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/07/09/activists_to_rally_for_ballots_in_chinese/

Chinese-American activists plan to rally at the State House today to renew their call for fully bilingual election ballots and to urge Secretary of State William Galvin to drop his objections.

The Chinese Progressive Association is lobbying for ballots, including the names of candidates, to be printed in Chinese to assist Chinese-speakers who read little English. The US Department of Justice also supports the idea and is asking a federal court to require Boston to provide Chinese-language ballots.

"The name is the most crucial thing," said Lydia Lowe , executive director of the Chinese Progressive Association, a community group that is organizing the rally. "This would allow many people to vote independently without assistance or interference from anyone else."

A 2005 agreement between Boston and the federal government settled a lawsuit alleging that city poll workers were coercing voters who spoke limited English. Under the settlement, the city agreed to provide Chinese-language ballots. But Galvin and advocates of Chinese-language ballots disagree over whether the candidates' names should be printed in Chinese characters.

Galvin, who oversees state and city elections, said that candidates' names should be printed in English because the Chinese translations are not accurate. Galvin said that he supports translating ballot instructions into Chinese, but that translations of candidates' names will confuse and mislead voters.

"It's going to add a lot of uncertainty to the process," he said.

Meanings of Chinese characters "vary by dialect and have unintended negative meanings," he said. "This is not an exact science, and elections are about precision."

The Chinese translate English names phonetically by matching the sound of each syllable to Chinese characters. But, because each character has many different meanings, the process is inexact and open to interpretation.

Since the agreement with the Justice Department, Boston has provided Chinese-language ballots in 49 of the city's 254 voting precincts with significant Chinese-speaking populations, Galvin said. The federal court ruling will probably affect the fall city election and next year's state presidential primary.

Galvin said he would file a motion this week countering the Justice Department's stance, which he said would leave the city's election results open to legal challenge. "This is an unsettled issue," he said. "Translation is not transliteration," that is, the process of converting words phonetically.

Brian McNiff , a spokesman for the secretary of state's office, said Chinese translations often have awkward meanings that "could render candidates' names in a less than favorable light." Lowe said that, while Chinese is not an "alphabetic language," Chinese speakers easily recognize the translations.

"Secretary Galvin has exaggerated the potential for complications," she said. "This has been done successfully across the country for many years."

No confusion was reported when ballots with candidates names in Chinese were used for two Boston City Council races last spring, supporters said.

"It helped a lot of Chinese voters, especially the elderly," said Lisette Le , youth coordinator for the Chinese Progressive Association. "It was much easier for them to pick their candidate."

Alice Leung , the group's community organizer, said that Chinese media regularly translate English names into their language and that Chinese-speakers would have no trouble distinguishing candidates. She said that failing to provide ballots in Chinese disenfranchises residents.

Organizers said they expected about 50 participants at the rally.

Peter Schworm can be reached at schworm@globe.com

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Boston MA. Activists to rally for ballots in Chinese
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 07:18:44 PM »
Shun sheng duh gao wahn.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 07:31:03 PM »
If the buggers want ballots in Chinese, let them go back to China.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 08:05:52 PM »
Hoo Flung Pooy Dung...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 05:07:47 AM »
Well, if they're going to have the ballots in Spanish, as I believe Deval wanted, then they should also have them in Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, French, Russian, Portuguese, Dutch, Farsi, Hebrew, Latin, Greek, Tagalog, and !Kung bushman language, with someone to do the tongue-clicks.

OR JUST IN ENGLISH!  smiley

The Viking

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 07:13:48 AM »
Not only no, but HELL NO!
Over here we have voting information in just about every damn language known to man. That needs to stop Right Now. Want to become a citizen? Learn the language. Applies to everyone, everywhere.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 07:17:33 AM »
I'm actually surprised Boston even still has a Chinese lobby, really. Last time I was in Chinatown, it had gotten a lot smaller. An entire block of 19th century brick Roman-arch-windowed buildings containing groceries, Pho places, tea stores and tailors had been leveled and replaced with a tall, bland, granite-and-glass postmodern luxury condo tower.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 09:42:48 AM »
I don't know what the problem is.  You have citizens who dont speak English or read it well.  If you can have ballots for people who are illiterate then what is wrong with having them in whatever language it is?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 09:49:44 AM »
Is it just me, or am I not the only one who thinks this is more about getting ballots for folks not legally entitled to vote?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 01:37:07 PM »
Is it just me, or am I not the only one who thinks this is more about getting ballots for folks not legally entitled to vote?
Believe me, you are not the only one.   We do need to get some power behind us.

Paddy

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 01:41:36 PM »
Won Hung Low  laugh

The Chinese name their children by throwing a fork on the floor.  Ping poing pang pong.

Paddy

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 01:43:48 PM »
The Chinaman went to the eye doctor, who told him "I see what the problem is.  You have a cataract".  The Chinaman said, "no I don't.  I have Rincoln Continentar"

onions!

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 01:49:12 PM »
Careful Riley,you might get tagged as a Rosie sympathiser.sympathyser.sympathieser.
Rosie supporter.
Whatever. smiley