Author Topic: Giant badgers terrorise Iraqi port city  (Read 2393 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Giant badgers terrorise Iraqi port city
« on: July 12, 2007, 06:22:39 AM »
www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22056684-5001028,00.html

Giant badgers terrorise Iraqi port city

Article from: Agence France-Presse
From correspondents in Basra

July 11, 2007 05:37pm

THE Iraqi port city of Basra, already prey to a nasty turf war between rival militia factions, has now been gripped by a scary rumour  giant badgers are stalking the streets by night, eating humans.

The animals were allegedly released into the area by British forces.

Local farmers have caught and killed several of the beasts, but this has done nothing to dispel the rumour.

Iraqi scientists have attempted to calm things down. However, the story has spread like wildfire in the streets of the city and the villages round about.

Mushtaq Abdul-Mahdi, director of Basra's veterinary hospital, has inspected the corpses of several badgers and tries to reassure Iraqis that the animals are not a new post-war arrival in the region.

These animals appeared before the fall of the regime in 1986. They are known as Al-Ghirayri and locally as Al-Girta, he told AFP. Talk that this animal was brought by the British forces is incorrect and unscientific.

Not everybody is convinced.

I believe this animal appeared following a raid to the region by the British forces, said Ali Mohsen, a farmer in his 40s from Karmat Ali, near the air base used by the multinational force.

As we are close to the airport, they probably released this animal into the area.

British troops have been based in Basra since the 2003 US-led invasion overthrew dictator Saddam Hussein, and the 5500 that remain still face the threat of *expletive deleted*it militias battling for the region's oil resources.

They also have to battle the Iraqi rumour mill, as locals are quick to blame them for almost any calamity that befalls the area  including an apparent plague of vicious badgers with long claws and powerful jaws.

British army spokesman Major David Gell said the animals were thought to be a kind of honey badger  melivora capensis  which can be fierce but are not usually dangerous to humans unless provoked.

They are native to the region but rare in Iraq. They're nocturnal carnivores with a fearsome reputation, but they don't stalk humans and carry them back to their lair, he said.

Both the scientists and the soldiers agree that the badger ought not to be a danger to humans, but so far they have failed to reassure the populace.

I was sleeping at night when this strange animal hit me on my head. I have not seen such an animal before. My husband hurried to shoot it but it was as swift as a deer, Suad Hassan, a 30-year-old housewife said.

It is the size of a dog but his head is like a monkey. It runs so quickly.

Cell phone video of the badgers circulating in Basra shows a stocky skunk-like animal with long front claws.

The honey badger, or ratel, is known as a brave predator capable of killing a cobra. It weighs up to 14kg.

Sattar Jabbar, a 50-year-old local farmer from Abu Sakhar north of Basra, believes the badger can tackle even large prey.

I saw it three days ago at night attacking animals. It even ate a cow. It tore the cow up piece by piece. I tried to shoot it with my gun but it ran away into the orchards. I missed it, he said.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Giant badgers terrorise Iraqi port city
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 06:29:56 AM »
Are there mushrooms as well?

And....A SNAKE! ...?

cheesy

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 06:34:03 AM »
A Ratel? Someone get Lawdog on the job; he's an old hand with those critters.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 06:40:54 AM »
The Badgers have come to liberate you!

I welcome our Badger Overlords!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 06:44:55 AM »
Do they have a book titled "To Serve Man"?

Sorry, I caught that episode of The Twilight Zone a few days ago...

Chris

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 07:03:15 AM »
Prediction:

In less than 24 hours a thread about "which gun for giant badgers" will be locked on THR.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 07:13:06 AM »
The Badgers have come to liberate you!

That's what liars Bush&Blair are saying ... but really they have come to establish lawn order  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 07:16:33 AM »
Maybe we should have Hollywood put together some CGI footage of giant badgers (or the bugs from Starship Troopers?) attacking a mosque, degrade it so it looks like it came from a cell phone, and smuggle the story into an Al-Jazeera broadcast?

Have the U.S. Government denounce it as a hoax before it airs, and insist that the badgers/bugs whatever are not crossbred with wild swine, and that we would not release these animals into any area intentionally . . .even if we had them, which we don't.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 07:54:48 AM »
the afore mentioned mushroom & snake:
http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 08:04:32 AM »
Are there mushrooms as well?

And....A SNAKE! ...?

cheesy

Nominated for APS "Witty post of the year"!

laugh
I promise not to duck.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 08:25:11 AM »
This is another of a long line of Iraqi legends about us and the British.  There are some Iraqi people that believe we have a "cold" pill that we take to keep us cool in our body armour.  Another myth is that the 82nd berets are died with blood.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 09:24:56 AM »
If it weren't for the insurgency, you could have so much fun with that.

A little tin-foil and a gas mask and you could have "robo trooper" march through a town...
I promise not to duck.

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 09:32:39 AM »
First there was a giant mouse (till he got martyred) and now giant badgers getting martyred too. If I was a large animal over there I would be watching my '6.
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

mountainclmbr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 09:55:15 AM »
Now it is Squirrels Spying on Iran! That's Nuts!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1274983,00.html

Police in Iran are reported to have taken 14 squirrels into custody - because they are suspected of spying.

Britain's latest secret weapon?The rodents were found near the Iranian border allegedly equipped with eavesdropping devices.

The reports have come from the official Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA).

When asked about the confiscation of the spy squirrels, the national police chief said: "I have heard about it, but I do not have precise information."

The IRNA said that the squirrels were kitted out by foreign intelligence services - but they were captured two weeks ago by police officers.

client32

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 10:07:34 AM »
This is another of a long line of Iraqi legends about us and the British.  There are some Iraqi people that believe we have a "cold" pill that we take to keep us cool in our body armour.  Another myth is that the 82nd berets are died with blood.
Is this a specific type of blood, or just any that is found?

I think I might try to start that rumor here as well.   grin
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 10:35:25 AM »
So, El Tejon = Al-Girta  laugh

I'd pay good money to see a badger kill a cow and eat it.

How does a dog with a monkey head that was chasing deer = badger?  It sounds more like el chupacabra.
For entertainment purposes only.

mountainclmbr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 10:52:01 AM »
Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemy badgers to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine badger, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

-- Monty Python, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", modified by Mountainclmbr for defense against mall zombie badgers, with apologies to El Tejon

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 10:53:01 AM »

How does a dog with a monkey head that was chasing deer = badger?  It sounds more like el chupacabra.

Over there, wouldn't it more appropriately be al-chupacabrasmiley
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 12:17:58 PM »
Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemy badgers to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine badger, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

-- Monty Python, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", modified by Mountainclmbr for defense against mall zombie badgers, with apologies to El Tejon

You didn't even have to look that up did you.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 02:04:12 PM »
I am ever soooooo dissapointed in you folks.  All this talk of badgers and, so far, not a single person has said...  grin

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 03:39:19 PM »

Dinsdale!

crt360

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 03:44:15 PM »
I am ever soooooo dissapointed in you folks.  All this talk of badgers and, so far, not a single person has said...  grin

Brad

. . . cover your nuts?

Over there, wouldn't it more appropriately be al-chupacabrasmiley

Right, I wasn't thinking.  laugh
For entertainment purposes only.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 05:41:40 PM »
dey gots da beef right here...

Blog under construction

Vile Nylons

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 04:06:17 AM »
So the Iranian's finally caught Rocky. Bullwinkle's days are probably numbered too. Sad that we are going to have to watch the inevitable show trials that are sure to come.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife