Author Topic: search engine optimization  (Read 1139 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
search engine optimization
« on: July 14, 2007, 05:45:33 AM »
If the city ever decides to actually let me have a business permit, the web sites are gonna go up.

What's the best way to get 'em noticed?

Blog under construction

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: search engine optimization
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 06:52:28 AM »
If the city ever decides to actually let me have a business permit, the web sites are gonna go up.

What's the best way to get 'em noticed?

Get other highly rated sites to link to them.  At least for google, there was a page you can go to to register at least your main page.  I can't find it right now, though.

It goes even quicker if you pay money for them to advertise for you.  Choose your terms carefully though.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 07:14:30 AM »
Any hints/tips/tricks around that?

Blog under construction

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 07:17:21 AM »
With my rifle brass business, I've been thinking the same thing.

I'd tap Dick's (Monkeyleg) brain, because he does the search engine optimization stuff for a living.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 08:03:33 AM »
Sheesh - is there anything he DOESN'T do?

Blog under construction

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 08:15:17 AM »
I dunno.  But I'd suggest doing so sooner rather than later - I'm reading the Milwaukee obits next week just in case...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 09:43:58 AM »
aha: found the addurl spot:

http://www.google.com/addurl/

What sort of business are you looking to get into?  Would it be local\country\global?

What you'll want to look for, at least for a general optimization, is to get other highly rated sites to link to you, NOT link-farms(pages and pages of essentially random links).

Google, and other search engines, are constantly black-listing them, such that they have no to negative ratings on your site's ranking nowadays.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 12:54:41 PM »
"Sheesh - is there anything he DOESN'T do?"

How about make money? Wink

Here's my list, somewhat prioritized:

1. Devote one page to each keyword you're targetting.

2. Title tag. If you're selling widgets, the first word in the title tag should be widgets. Don't worry about your company name, the search engines don't care. If you can, repeat variations of the term widgets. For example, widgets, blue widget, red widgets. No more than nine words in the title tag.

3. <h1> tag. Get your keyword in there. If you don't like the look of the default <h1> tag, use CSS to modify the look. So, you'll have <h1 class="h1text>Widgets</h1>

4. Keyword density. Repeat your keyword as often as you can while still making the page read naturally. Keyword density can be anywhere from 2% to 20%.

5. Navigation. Make sure that your site is easily navigable, both for visitors as well as the search engines. Limit the number of links to pages within your site to 100 as the absolute maximum. (Studies have shown that people stop looking at links in menus after seven links, so keep that in mind). If you use images or javascript rollovers for menu links, put straight HTML links at the bottom of your page for the SE's to follow.

6. Links. Submit your site to every directory you can find that's related to your site's niche. Also search for sites related to yours that do link exchanges. Before trading links, though, make sure the site is reputable. Go to www.seochat.com and use the pagerank lookup. It's up to you if you want to exchange links with a site that doesn't have a pagerank yet or not. But avoid sites that have a greyed-out Pagerank toolbar. Also, check the source code for the links that are on the site you're thinking about exchanging links with. A lot of cheats use javascript "onMousedown" commands to keep the search engines from following the links. It's a stupid practice, but some webmasters think they lose pagerank by having outbound links, so they screw around with that sort of thing. Also, don't count on getting much value from a site that has 100 links on a single page.

Stay away from paid links. Google doesn't like them.

Also stay away from sites that are obviously nothing but links. If there's no real content on the site, it's a link farm.

Don't acquire too many links at once, as it looks unnatural to the search engines, and Google may view your site as a spam site. What's a natural number of links? Look at the top-ranking sites in your niche. Go to Yahoo and do a link:www.mycompetitor.com search to see how many sites link to the competitor. Then find out how long that site has been around. That should give you an idea of how often they've acquired inbound links.

7. Put <meta description = "robots" content = "index, follow"> on every page you want the search engines to look at.

8. Include a site map on your site, with straight HTML links to every one of your pages. Again, don't put more than 100 links total on your sitemap page (including your navigation links). Add more site map pages if you need to.

9. Submit your site to www.dmoz.com, and then wait six months for your site to appear. If it's not listed by then, go  to the dmoz forum for the category you submitted to and politely ask the editor how your submission is coming along.

10. Add new content regularly. If you can add new pages every day or two, that's ideal.

11. Expect to wait a month or so before Google begins to index your site. Expect to wait six months minimum before your site starts to rank for anything.

12. If you have a dynamic site, consider creating static HTML pages for your keywords. You don't have to have these pages in your navigation menu; just have them on your site map page(s).

13. Go to press release sites and write press releases about your company. Don't go for the free releases. Pay a few dollars for the option of having your press release submitted to the search engines. Press releases are great for link value.

14. Check out the wiki's. You may be able to put a link to your site on a relevant page. I've had a problem with one editor, though, who keeps removing my links.

15. Put a link to your site in your sig line on every forum you post on. Also, find some forums that are relevant to your site, post on them from time to time, and have your link in your sig line.

There's still more, but that should get you started.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 08:30:15 AM »
Monkeyleg, I tried some of the tips you mentioned in the above post.  They do work!  With my website I moved from way back in the page rankings, ten or farther back, up to page one or two depending on the search terms used.  Most of the rankings are page one.

I need to tweak my description tags a bit yet, but in most cases I now rank above the established players in the area for the business I have started. Now comes the hard work of keeping these new rankings.

Thanks for all of the advice, Dick.  You do know your stuff.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 12:08:01 PM »
That's fantastic, RocketMan.

None of what I posted is a secret. Anyone can learn all that and much more at www.webmasterworld.com.

The problem most site owners have with doing SEO is time. It takes a lot of time, especially if the site is in a competitive niche.