Author Topic: LED Lightbulbs  (Read 4439 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: LED Lightbulbs
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 08:44:22 PM »
Yeah, it's comfy.  Adirondack chairs also make great stands for holding stuff while you're taking pictures.   grin

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Alberttaylor

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 05:57:41 AM »
Okayfine. Got motivated.

Bought two of these.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Small-lamp-7-LED-Lightbulb-Light-Bulb-E27-Super-White_W0QQitemZ4402315634QQihZ001QQcategoryZ3201QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Small-lamp-7-LED-Lightbulb-Light-Bulb-E27-Super-White_W0QQitemZ4402315634QQihZ001QQcategoryZ3201QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

They're small, and bluish, and not overly bright (I think it's okay to say that...), but they draw next to no power.

One's going in the "always on" peimar led lights that's hooked up in The Bunker (to a UPS, so when the power goes out, I don't fumble all over the place...), and the other will be tried in an outside fixture that requires a dimmable light. Several more will follow, along with possibly some of their "warm white" candelabra bulbs.

I'll probably also outfit the shooting trailer with some 12 volt ones.

Very nice job done I like those led bulbs they are very bright
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:00:40 AM by Alberttaylor »

birdman

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
<div class="quoteheader">Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner on July 15, 2007, 11:37:15 AM</div><div class="quote">
If LEDs live up to their potential they'd have all of the benefits of an energy efficient light source, all the advantages of incandescents, and none of the crappy aspects of CFLs. 
</div>
And one bulb can display multiple colors.

Not necessarily, white LED can be made two different ways primarily, the first is a multi-emitter approach that uses red/green/blue to make white, but the more common high output type uses a blue/UV GaN diode with a phosphor to shift the spectrum to white.  Those can't change color.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 07:32:33 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2012, 01:05:15 PM »
We have had three budget LED bulbs in the light fixture in the main bath and one in a table lamp in the living room for over a year now.  Quite happy with the three in the bathroom, but the one in the table lamp could be a little brighter around the periphery of the bulb.  It's just the style of bulb is better suited for a ceiling light fixture than a table lamp.
We plan to install seven more in three ceiling fixtures next year.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »
Where I work, we tried a 50-dollar LED bulb in a fixture that tends to burn through incandescents all too quickly. It lasted a few weeks.  :laugh:

So I would tend to stick to Phillips, or maybe other big names in the lighting industry. Of course, other manufacturers will eventually figure out how to make good bulbs. Maybe they already have.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 01:51:35 PM »
We've been buying the EcoSmart bulbs at Home Despot.  So far, so good with those, plus the price keeps moving down.  We also have two LED mini-spots over the stove that I forgot about in my earlier post. Those work like champs.  Brighter than the original 50W bulbs they replaced, crisper pleasing white color, and sixteen watts total versus the 100 watts of the original bulbs.
There is a 60 watt flood over the kitchen sink we want to replace next.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2012, 02:53:39 PM »
Funny this popped up today. We're doing a pilot project in a couple of dorms using Philips A19 LED bulbs.  After a lot of research and testing these are the only LED bulbs that are a true 60w incandescent equivalent in both light output and color temp.  They are more expensive than the Big Box store stuff, but for good reason.  They work.  Heavy suckers, too, due to the substantial heat sink for the driver, but that's the reason they actually meet their service life claims.  Unlike most retail-ready units the Philips service life claims are based on actual performance of the bulb as an assembly, not just the LED chip life expectancy.  It also helps that these bulbs are substantially more rugged as impact damage in dorm rooms is a common problem.  The electricity savings?  Maybe 5-10% at most.  The savings will be the lower maintenance costs from reduced bulb replacement (both service-life and physical-damage failures). 

CFLs are nice if they're in a constant-on location, not so much in a dorm room where lights get switched on and off many times a day.  It's going to be even more of a problem as we migrate to occupancy sensors in the rooms.  Figure a 50-70% reduction in service life for CFLs due to power-cycle degredation alone.  The LEDs don't suffer that problem.  Also figure in a reduction in impact damage failures for the relatively fragile CFLs vs the darned-near-bulletproof LED units.  In some impromptu testing we actually destroyed the fixture before we were able to get the LED bulb to fail.  They don't like heat, but the issue is pretty much moot as the heat intolerance (read: enclosed fixture) is roughly equivalent to the CFLs that are already in service.

All that to say that cheapo LEDs aren't worth buying.  Spend a couple bucks on the good stuff and chances are you'll be taking the same bulb with you next time you move.  Philips and Cree both make excellent units, as does Osram.  Most of the product lines for all three companies can be found on Amazon now.

Brad
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:42:22 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 03:32:53 PM »
The EcoSmart bulbs we've been buying from Home Despot are heavily heatsinked, as well.  I was worried about their longevity at first, wondering if they would fail prematurely, but they're doing well for what can be considered a bargain bulb. They are about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of their Philips equivalent IIRC.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2012, 03:42:48 PM »
My daughters needed reading lights, and I went looking well after the "back to school" stock was gone from Menard's and Home Depot etc. So instead I got small metal clamp lights for their beds, and put in a generic Chinastan Feit Electric brand 7 Watt bulb, 25W incandescent equivalent.

Like one of these: http://www.thencc.com/westinghouse/LS/ORIGINAL/Style20904.jpg

It's a A-15 size standard screw base, and inside the "bulb" is a three sided pyramid with three SMD white LED's per side. No appreciable heat sinking other than the screw base as I can see.

Cheaper and tougher than any plastic junk dedicated bed clamp reading light, and it doesn't even get appreciably warm, even when I find them on, and buried under my kids blankets or pillows.  ;/

I promise not to duck.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2012, 11:01:47 PM »
Very nice job done I like those led bulbs they are very bright

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2012, 11:38:16 PM »
The EcoSmart bulbs we've been buying from Home Despot are heavily heatsinked, as well.  I was worried about their longevity at first, wondering if they would fail prematurely, but they're doing well for what can be considered a bargain bulb. They are about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of their Philips equivalent IIRC.

We looked at the EcoSmart bulbs.  The color temp was still not on par with an incandescent and the claimed lumen value didn't hold up to an actual metered test.  The Philips was the only unit with a true 2700k color temp and a lumen/ft measured value that metered what the mfg claimed.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2012, 10:30:20 AM »
Wow, there's a lot that's changed since this thread started so long ago!

I'm currently running dimmable 3000K LED 12W bulbs around the new house, with a few PAR-38 dimmable floods in the great room.

It's amazing how heavy they are all with the built-in heatsinks.  Granted, the wattage draw is much less, but it's interesting that the heat output is still an issue...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2012, 10:45:24 AM »
-20 has no effect on LED's. A lot of semi trucks have LED turn signals and running lights and they work fine on them.

Buses have them too.  And they DO work great.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2012, 11:07:36 AM »
Hmm, I have a couple old UPS's laying around the house. I wonder if I could re-engineer one of them for "emergency" lighting. Basically, just removing the inverter from the UPS so it's just the transformer/rectifier that charges the battery, and the surge protection and cut out circuitry for when power is lost. Use that 12V battery to power some 12v LED's setup in a few places. 12v 9AH sealed gel battery.... should run a few LED's for minimal lighting for a while.  :P

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2012, 11:44:18 AM »
And then there is the whole LED Christmas lights thing.  All of ours are now LED, no more incandescents. We like their look much better.  There is a slight ripple to them if you look at them with your peripheral vision.  Kind of cool.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »
If you want to see impressive, look at some of the automotive off-roading light.  One of my brother's buddies put some of the new KC LED-based units on his truck and, well... dayum!

The only caveat for using LED turn signal replacements is the flasher.  Older vehicles will need the old analog flasher replaced with an electronic unit. LED flashers don't pull enough current to make the older units cycle properly (if at all).

Brad
-HankB

birdman

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2012, 03:13:10 PM »
If you want to see impressive, look at some of the automotive off-roading light.  One of my brother's buddies put some of the new KC LED-based units on his truck and, well... dayum!

The only caveat for using LED turn signal replacements is the flasher.  Older vehicles will need the old analog flasher replaced with an electronic unit. LED flashers don't pull enough current to make the older units cycle properly (if at all).

Brad

+1
Rigid,
I have 4 of their "dually" lights on my truck, and a friend has the 40" bar...they are disturbingly bright.