Author Topic: Battlefield 2 and other online games - didn't want to hijack the 'Tribal' topic!  (Read 5104 times)

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
I was wondering who else here (if anybody) plays the Battlefield games. For geeks like me, it is a fun way to waste time. Cheesy Of course for some of you who have actually served in the military, you might find it to be a load of crap (you can fly easily with a keyboard, and the tank driver also controls the main gun).  grin

Here is a 'forum friendly' sized screenshot image:

I have also taken the liberty of providing some screenshots for you all (maxed out graphics settings at 2048x1536 resolution). Be warned that these images are NOT dial-up modem friendly, and will cause lesser systems to cry.  grin

I may try to get more, if anybody would like that, or if not, I'll go sit in the corner and be quiet.  laugh

If you play other similar online games, feel free to talk about them here.  cool
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

bunni

• imfdb.org
    • Internet Movie Firearms Database
I was hooked on Battlefield 2142, that is until my cat tossed all my cd's into the trash and I didn't notice until after trash day.

I remember the days of dial-up Rainbow Six (the 1998 original) - now that was a good time.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Hehe, Cats are evil, I should know. I have 2142, and it is great fun playing with mag-rider tanks and stuff, but I always prefer propellant, high octane fuel, and explosives to EMP and Lasers. That is why I like BF2, Call of Duty 1 + 2, and all those kinds of games to futuristic ones.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
I'm Gunny Jamisjockey, at your serivce.  Frag out!
 grin
I've played 2142 but it works my system pretty hard, so I mostly stick to BF2 and the Spec Ops pack.  I really like infantry only and tend to be a Karkand whore.  I just got the unlocks for gunner, and tend to score the most with the gunner kit, or from the top of a HMMV in a vehicle map.
I need to get back into using teamspeak or voip for it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Did you unlock the PKM or MG36? I have both now, but I prefer the PKM. I am usually found playing as the anti-tank kit, as I am that jammy git that sits around and waits for opportunities to take out jeeps full of people, or planes taking off, or attacj helicopters.  grin

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
I played 1942 a bit.  It was a good game.  I liked playing the scout and sniping from long distance.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
I actually don't have the original BF1942, but I want to get it. Should be fun flying the old Warbirds.  grin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
I have Battlefield 2 but just never really could get very enthusiastic about it. I play a good bit of COD 2 with my mates from the U.S., Australia, England (Chelmsford, Whitstable and such) Portugal and the Netherlands. Oh, and Canada too.

We all talk together on Teamspeak and some of us have even met some of the others. The English guys all know each other now (since they started playing together) and some of the Yanks have met up too. One of the Brit's came over here on vacation and met one of our members in Cali. The Aussie (we call him Aussie) plans on taking his vacation over here next year and should meet a few of us.

I've made quite a few friends online gaming.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Marnoot

• friend
I play BF2, but have been spending more time recently with some of the mods (Eve of Destruction 2, Point of Existence 2, etc.) There's a WWII mod (Forgotten Hope 2) that looks really good that should be out later this year. Definitely a fun game when I'm in the mood for some FPS action.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Forgotten Hope 2 sounds like fun. I may have to check it out.

Marnoot

• friend
Here's the main page for the mod, the page is for the BF1942 version, but all the news items/screenshots are for the new one:

http://forgottenhope.filefront.com/main.php?id%5Fnews=209&module=news&lang=english&flash=yes&mod=

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Can't stand games that make me depend on luck to get kills.
I tried BF2 and every shot I fired missed no matter how dead on my crosshairs/sights were.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Jamisjockey

• friend
Did you unlock the PKM or MG36? I have both now, but I prefer the PKM. I am usually found playing as the anti-tank kit, as I am that jammy git that sits around and waits for opportunities to take out jeeps full of people, or planes taking off, or attacj helicopters.  grin

The weird thing was I got both unlocks when I got Gunny.  I found the MG36 to be more effective and quicker to reload than the PKM.
I prefer to find an intersection and mow down troops trying to get through it.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
Can't stand games that make me depend on luck to get kills.
I tried BF2 and every shot I fired missed no matter how dead on my crosshairs/sights were.

It ain't luck.  Some weapons are intentionally less accurate.  Firing the SAW from standing is horribly inaccurate, but about 200% more effective from the prone.
JD

Manedwolf

• friend
I played 1942 a bit.  It was a good game.  I liked playing the scout and sniping from long distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2PqPNRF1Ic

Amusing video. Headbanging 1942 style.

And the plane in the first shot up there is wrong. It's being flown correctly. It should be upside-down right above its own troops, about to crash, because it was taken by the n00b trying to fly it from their failing PIII on dialup.  grin

I want to try Red Orchestra as well. That one's supposed to be fun. I also miss the older games that didn't bog down the machine so much, but allowed for lots of players and mayhem. I still have old memories of 80 player wars in Tribes II, flying a fully crewed bomber with Rammstein (appropriate for people in heavy powered armor) playing on the in-game MP3. And jumping into the pilot seat of a fully crewed enemy Havoc, making off with it and pulling a D.B. Cooper just before it and its players slammed into their own base in blazing Bruckheimer-esque action-movie drama was always fun chaos. Then there was always transport-tipping with a shocklance...

Marnoot

• friend
Red Orchestra's pretty good if you like the high-realism type of FPS. I don't play it too terribly often, but when I'm in the mood for some relatively authentic WWII action, it's the game I go to. Nothing like taking out a Russian tank from 1000 yards away with your Tiger after estimating range, adjusting the sight appropriately, and letting it fly. I love destroying the little russian "clown car" APCs with a tank while they're on the run.

RO also tends to have a much lower quantity of immature players, as younger geeks aren't too excited by the high level of realism. The game's at it's best when you're with a good, cooperative team that's communicating well with VOIP. If you're in a tank as a gunner or driver, and you know what you're doing and so does the other guy, and you're communicating well, you can really wreak some havoc. Of course, there's always the occasional smacktard who jumps in your tank you'd been in alone and drives off right when you were about to nail that perfect long-range shot.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
When I don't hit things after I've been crouched for 10 minutes I uninstall the game. =p
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
mbs357: I never experience that kind of trouble with firing, but then again, unless I use the sniper kit, It's usually from a very close range. I will admit that a lot of the standard assault rifles are not that easy to hit stuff with from medium-long range, even the unlocked G3 requires a bit of patience.

I would suggest that you work towards obtaining the Medic kit unlock, our L85A1 (SA80) Just like our Army, you get the SUSAT x4 scope as standard, and let me tell you, that thing set to semi-automatic, is a great medium range counter-sniper weapon.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
'Sounds of Battlefield 2' music video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYJ36MIdPO4

grin

HankB

• friend
Can't stand games that make me depend on luck to get kills. I tried BF2 and every shot I fired missed no matter how dead on my crosshairs/sights were.
I have to echo this comment - getting decisive hits with the sniper rifle, even on a stationary target, was a matter of luck. The SAW was nearly worthless, unless the bad guy were so close that in real life he'd be burned by the muzzle flash. The fixed-position machine guns were a different matter, but the limited traverse was frustrating.

Usually I play solo - I don't play any game enough to become competitive in an "on line" environment - and despite the single-player info on the box, I found that BF2 really sucks in single-player. Heck, for some of the single-player missions, you STILL have to long on - what's with that?

Bah.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
I agree that the single player in BF2 is crappy, but I don't see what is so bad about the Sniper Rifles. Once I learned the ballistics of each rifle (the game has ballistics calculations built into the engine), I was well on my way. The M24 used by the Marine forces has the least bullet drop (and is good all around), the L96A1 is the most accurate overall (and is quick to reload), and the M95 .50 cal has a fair bit of bullet drop at longer ranges (not realistic for the .50 cal I suppose). It is true that these are not totally realistic representations of the real life weapons, but once you know how to use the game versions properly, it is a breeze.

Oh yeah, and for those of you only satisfied by realism, there are plenty of mods out there that correct the stats.

HankB

• friend
At the simulated ranges in BF2, when your target is a bad guy's torso, bullet drop shouldn't be a factor - sniping a standing bad guy at 100 - 200 meters ought to be a "gimmie" . . .

It isn't.  angry
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• friend
Those who fail seem to blame it on the game.  I've had 100 point games.  I've killed a dozen enemy in a row.  I've taken on tanks with the Spec Ops kit and won. 
Its a video game.  It ain't perfect. 
JD

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
You know what it could be? Lag. This game is known to have a few faults in that area, in that if you have a high ping, your shots may end up way off. If however, your connection is top notch, and you are having trouble, I don't know what the answer is. Seems fine to me.

Jamisjockey

• friend
You know what it could be? Lag. This game is known to have a few faults in that area, in that if you have a high ping, your shots may end up way off. If however, your connection is top notch, and you are having trouble, I don't know what the answer is. Seems fine to me.

Good point.  My connection is great, my PC is decent. 
JD