Author Topic: Battlefield 2 and other online games - didn't want to hijack the 'Tribal' topic!  (Read 5105 times)

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
I have a 4Mbps connection, which does the trick. I used to have trouble with Punkbuster causing lag, until I changed the settings so that it checks my hard drive  (one of them) every 500 seconds, instead of every 20.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
I do like a good multiplayer game, however.
Infiltration was an amazing FPS.  Bullets actually went where you aimed them, etc.
Counter-Strike is pretty fun when you get in with a good group of guys, "OK MENS LET'S TRY TO KNIFE EVERYONE ON THE OTHER TEAM...NEXT ROUND OUR TEAM!"  Good times, even when FF is off.
I still prefer the depth of a single player game.  More and more I see the market shift to MP only.  Especially the mod scene.  Every HL2 mod that I see is either just new maps or totally multiplayer.  Kind of depressing.  I've had to resort to playing older games like Doom, Deus Ex, Thief, etc to get a good single player experience. 
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

HankB

• friend
I've had to resort to playing older games like Doom, Deus Ex, Thief, etc to get a good single player experience.
Ah, yes, the early days with games like Doom, Doom 2, Hexen . . .

Actually, for single-player first person shooters, I kind of like Unreal II . . . there's even one level where you use the sniper rifle almost exclusively . . . othewise, the games tend to blur together . . . same game, different graphics.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
There's been a few good ones for the PS2 as well. Red Faction from 2001 or so was a glorious combination of Half Life and Total Recall, complete with an almost 80's-SF-like synth soundtrack and a number of nods to the latter movie. Wide-open exploration aspect to it, lots of fun. You lead a miner revolution on Mars...and a near-freefall bit on a realistic space station is wonderfully done. Red Faction 2 was a horribly crappy on-rails shooter with painful acting...nothing fun about the first one went into it. The first Red Faction also let you destroy the scenery, literally blowing apart offices into sprays of building material and shards of glass and shattered furniture, making a total action-movie like mess. Places LOOKED like a battle just happened in them, with glass crunching underfoot and blackened holes punched through the walls.

More recently, Geist had a neat twist, being that it followed the Half Life model, but...you were sort of already dead. So you could possess guards, scientists and workers, even guard dogs, having them go about their duties to avoid suspicion while you were actually in control. You see through their eyes, and recall some of their recent memories, too. You could also possess equipment, causing it to burn out, bulbs to crackle and pop, paint cans to dent out and then splatter to freak people out... It got to be WAY too much fun...especially since all the personnel start getting paranoid about each other after a few incidents of "friendly fire", since you could have possessed any of them.  smiley

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
I have Red Faction (got it when it came out). It is indeed a very good game, and much better than the sequel. The PC version is awesome, what with the mods and multiplayer (plus the PC allows for more GeoMod fun).
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Manedwolf

• friend
I have Red Faction (got it when it came out). It is indeed a very good game, and much better than the sequel. The PC version is awesome, what with the mods and multiplayer (plus the PC allows for more GeoMod fun).

Also. Best. Rail Driver. Ever.

Thermal imaging through walls. See people moving around as orange-to-red outlines in blue. Target. Send hypervelocity metal rod through wall. Hear gurgling scream, watch crumple and fall.  grin

I still don't know what happened to the engine from that game. So many games since, and they've lacked the ability to realistically shatter rock, concrete and other materials like that had, going right back to the old boring "the scenery is indestructible" model of gaming.

It was incredibly satisfying to send a rocket launcher shot into a guard station and not just break the windows, but have the windows crack and fall as safety glass bits, lights go out, and structure fail with blown-out concrete chunks, holes, and soot damage where you hit it, not just as a scripted destruction event (like Black). That, and the glass debris was persistent, so you could hear it crunch underfoot as you walked up to the wreckage.

The vehicles were cool, too.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Yeah. I think that the problem is that to do the same with the super high resolution texture walls, floors, ceilings etcetera, of games today would take a hell of a lot more processing power than it did for the textures in Red Faction all those years ago. Still, maybe someone could make a new Geomod engine that is optimized for multiple cores, as well as the Aegia Physx card. That could be awesome. The Geomod really was special.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Always heard good things about Red Faction 1.
Geist sounds good too.
I might look into them. Smiley
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Manedwolf

• friend
GameStop occasionally has Red Faction 1 for PS2 for $9 or less on the shelves, used, since it's old now. Lots of replay fun even if you finish it, it's got the Half Life "feel" to it with a great story. Chaos and commandeered PA systems really make you feel like you're part of a revolution. And, of course, there's the PC version, which I believe might have new homebrew texture packs to bring it up to date. Don't even bother with 2, it's awful. They ruined it.

Here's a trailer for the first one. Was absolutely brilliant. And yes, they totally stole the Mars mine drillers from Total Recall, there's lots of other tributes to that in there, too.  cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkKGcfE9nPg

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
I have the PC version, and I also had the PS2 version, until I gave the PS2 and games to my brother. The PC version is much better. Multiplayer Red Faction is an old favourite of mine. Make sure to grab the machinegun, the rocket launcher, or the Precision rifle for maximum pwnage.  grin

Manedwolf

• friend
I have the PC version, and I also had the PS2 version, until I gave the PS2 and games to my brother. The PC version is much better. Multiplayer Red Faction is an old favourite of mine. Make sure to grab the machinegun, the rocket launcher, or the Precision rifle for maximum pwnage.  grin

Fusion rocket FTW.  That was the "OH SH_ !!!" insane level of hurt. (and usually took out a major wall, too) grin

And I've hung onto the PS2 because they keep coming out with brilliantly written games for it like Psychonauts (Tim Schaefer needs to write for movies) and Okami, which is nothing short of art. The PS3 has nothing but glossy, bland showpieces.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Haha, yes! I remember seeing the rockets coming toward me at an alarming speed, and thinking to myself "Oh, poo."

grin

Manedwolf

• friend
Haha, yes! I remember seeing the rockets coming toward me at an alarming speed, and thinking to myself "Oh, poo."

grin

Hey, extreme overkill is fun in team games. I believe the most extreme I'd ever seen was way back with the original Half Life deathmatch. Someone set up about 40-50 laser tripmines in a corridor. Someone ran in there. The explosion was enough to cause the scenery to actually fail and the map to flicker transparent, sound cutting in and out.  grin

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
I have been playing the original Half Life deathmatch, but on the Source engine. Good fun. Cheesy

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
For those of you who like Red Orchestra, there is a very good mod for BF2, that tries to be as realistic as possible.

http://www.realitymod.com/

Some destructible terrain, more realistic damage taken from weapons, and real squad/platoon based action. Be warned that you may need a more powerful system than normal to run this mod, especially in the RAM area of things.There is a good video trailer for this modification on the page I have linked to, for you guys to check out.

Phyphor

• friend
I've had to resort to playing older games like Doom, Deus Ex, Thief, etc to get a good single player experience.
Ah, yes, the early days with games like Doom, Doom 2, Hexen . . .

Actually Deus Ex and Thief were a bit later than Doom / etc.

DX has a multiplayer component too that can be extremely fun with the right settings and people.

Thief has a mod for Unreal Tournament (1998, don't know if they made a later one) called Thievery.  Totally cool, and faithful to the Thief series.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Manedwolf

• friend
Deux Ex was fun. Deus Ex 2 had some drop-dead gorgeous setpieces. (the black-pyramid Cairo arcology was staggeringly gorgeous inside, especially the Tarsus Academy office overlooking Old Cairo, the original pyramids and the sunset...)

Unfortunately, it was also too confining and suffered from an inexcusable amount of bugs. Wonderful premise and possibiities, messed up.

But you got to fire a rocket launcher into a Starbucks-like coffee shop and send burning chairs and broken cups flying, and kill people by bouncing a stainless carafe off their head, so... Wink I also liked the idea that if you stupidly opened fire in a nightclub, all the patrons screamed and fled from all levels out the front door, and the police forces came in. Plus I cheered when Chicago got turned into grey goo by a runaway nanotech weapon.

I'm still hoping for a 3 with the design ethic of 2, but a GTA-sized open cyberpunk city. That would be absolute paradise.

Manedwolf

• friend

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Deus Ex 3 branded game + Good Story + STALKER Game Engine = Ultimate win.