Author Topic: "Cooling ties of Britain and Russia"  (Read 740 times)

Iain

• friend
"Cooling ties of Britain and Russia"
« on: July 17, 2007, 04:48:12 AM »
As the UK expels four Russian diplomats following Moscow's refusal to extradite the main suspect in the murder of former spy Alexander Litvinenko, BBC diplomatic correspondent Jonathan Marcus considers the implications of Britain's move.

There is no doubting the seriousness with which the British government views this case.

A man was murdered in London and the method employed - the use of a highly radioactive substance - raised wider issues of public safety.

So a tough response was expected.

But Britain has had to weigh up its potential actions carefully.

In his statement, Foreign Secretary David Miliband made it clear that Russia remained a key player on the international stage and that Britain wanted good relations with Moscow.

The aim of the measures that Britain had taken, principally the expulsion of four diplomats, was intended, he said, to send "a clear and proportionate signal" to the Russian authorities.
Continued at link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6901636.stm
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: "Cooling ties of Britain and Russia"
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 05:12:35 AM »
I wonder when someone will get the idea that with Putin the bad ole days of the Soviet Union are back.  And it is astounding to me that companies are rushing headlong to invest in that place.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: "Cooling ties of Britain and Russia"
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 05:40:31 AM »
As regards Putin, once a KGB man, always a KGB man.

I can't fathom why people don't realize this.