Author Topic: Iranian Fashion police  (Read 1968 times)

Paddy

Iranian Fashion police
« on: July 23, 2007, 07:51:18 AM »
Yep, Iran's a great place to live.....

Iran launches new crackdown on unIslamic fashion     
Jul 23 10:52 AM US/Eastern

Iran on Monday launched a new wave of a moral crackdown against women who "dress like models" and men whose hairstyles are deemed unIslamic, police said.

Tehran's police force dispatched dozens of police cars and minibuses into the early evening rush-hour to enforce the dress rules at major squares in the city centre, an AFP correspondent said.

The new "plan to increase security in society" -- which is limited to Tehran but will later extend nationwide -- comes after a pre-summer drive by the police resulted in thousands of warnings and hundreds of arrests.

"We have vowed to continue the campaign to reinforce the plan to increase security in society with new personnel who have received the necessary training," the Tehran police head of information Mehdi Ahmadi told reporters as the first police forces were dispatched.

"This notably includes the use of 100 female police officers," he added.

He said the campaign would target women who were badly veiled, wore overly tight overcoats, sported excessively short trousers and were "dressed like models."

"As far as men are concerned we will act against those who have Western-style haircuts and clothing. We are also going to act against clothes shops and hairdressers."

Ahmadi said the police's policy will be first to give a verbal warning to those who infringe the law and if necessary they will then be arrested and taken for "consultation."

"Normally the problem is resolved here. If not, and these cases are often those of re-offenders, the case is sent to the judiciary," Ahmadi said.

Women in Iran are obliged to cover all bodily contours and their heads, but in recent years many have pushed the boundaries by showing off bare ankles and fashionably styled hair beneath their headscarves.

Although the April crackdown was the severest such drive in years, some women are still donning figure-hugging coats and skimpy headscarves. The wacky hairdos favoured by some young men in Tehran are also much in evidence.

By renewing the drive, it appears the police want to send a message that they are serious about enforcing the dress rules.

Many conservatives have applauded the crackdown as important to protect the security of society, but moderates have publicly questioned whether Iran would be better off tackling poverty and crime rather than slack dressing.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070723145203.gkpojk2l&show_article=1

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Iranian Fashion police
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 08:06:41 PM »
In other news, experts are now saying the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:30:16 AM »
I wonder what would happen if an American Christian man or woman were visiting that fit this criteria.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:57:53 AM »
I wonder what would happen if an American Christian man or woman were visiting that fit this criteria.

Oh, nothing would happen to them. Iran is, after all, a haven for Christians and Jewish.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 12:02:19 PM »
oic
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 01:13:54 PM »

They do visit all the time.  It's not a huge deal. 

Notice what the article says:
Ahmadi said the police's policy will be first to give a verbal warning to those who infringe the law and if necessary they will then be arrested and taken for "consultation."

"Normally the problem is resolved here. If not, and these cases are often those of re-offenders, the case is sent to the judiciary," Ahmadi said.

It is a haven in comparison to Saudi Arabia.  But is there a daily media assault on that hole of corruption and gross abuse?

Nope.  Almost makes you wonder...we don't care when allies abuse women, foreigners, and kill people for practicing a religion other than Islam....but we do care if enemies like Iran give verbal warnings over clothing styles?

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 01:18:40 PM »
I sometimes wish I could make a citizen's arrest when I see a very large person wearing spandex or speedo's.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 01:27:46 PM »
I sometimes wish I could make a citizen's arrest when I see a very large person wearing spandex or speedo's.

smiley

Well, it should be illegal
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

crt360

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 01:28:04 PM »
What is a western-style haircut?  Is it like a ranch-style bean?
For entertainment purposes only.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 01:34:16 PM »
What is a western-style haircut?  Is it like a ranch-style bean?

I think it means fabio hair on a guy, or crew cuts on girls.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 10:15:57 PM »
What is a western-style haircut?

A mullet.  Nothing screams Great Satan like a mullet.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 01:15:56 PM »
It is a haven in comparison to Saudi Arabia.  But is there a daily media assault on that hole of corruption and gross abuse?

Nope.  Almost makes you wonder...we don't care when allies abuse women, foreigners, and kill people for practicing a religion other than Islam....but we do care if enemies like Iran give verbal warnings over clothing styles? 

I wouldn't take the media as representative of the American people.  This is the same media that got all cuddly-wuddly with Achmedinijad (sp?).  I'm sure you've heard us say the same sort of things about Saudi Arabia on this board. 

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 01:34:40 PM »

I wouldn't take the media as representative of the American people.  This is the same media that got all cuddly-wuddly with Achmedinijad (sp?).  I'm sure you've heard us say the same sort of things about Saudi Arabia on this board. 

I wouldn't consider this board as representative of the American people by a long shot.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »
Touche, Nick.  (Sorry if that's misspelled, I don't do French.)

The point is, if Americans are giving the Saudis a pass for their human rights record (and we are not) media coverage is not the way to prove the point.   

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 02:01:27 PM »
I'm trying to figure out which orifice he pulled this out of:

we don't care when allies abuse women, foreigners, and kill people for practicing a religion other than Islam....but we do care if enemies like Iran give verbal warnings over clothing styles?

Exactly which one of us has gone on record stating that we don't care when human rights are violated?  Hmmm?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 02:19:21 PM »
I'm trying to figure out which orifice he pulled this out of:

we don't care when allies abuse women, foreigners, and kill people for practicing a religion other than Islam....but we do care if enemies like Iran give verbal warnings over clothing styles?

Exactly which one of us has gone on record stating that we don't care when human rights are violated?  Hmmm?

No one has.  I'm pointing to the general media assault, and the conversations.  You can find tons of posts about Iran here from the past year, and lots of articles about how evil it is.

During the same time period, you will find far fewer articles, posts, and you will hear fewer conversations about how brutal Saudi Arabia is, despite the fact that its record during any timeframe makes Iran look like a liberal democracy in comparison.

But fistful makes a good point-the media tend to be out of touch and I agree with you all that Ahmadinejad is not a great beacon of humanity.  I'm just noting that Iran is getting all the attention these days as the flag-bearer of militant Islamism, when in reality the only country that fits the Jew-hating, Christian-killing cartoon stereotype is Saudi Arabia.

It's an issue of attention and priorities, I'm not accusing anyone of loving or supporting Saudi Arabia.  Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.