Author Topic: Lost Photos on XD Card  (Read 705 times)

Polishrifleman

• friend
Lost Photos on XD Card
« on: July 24, 2007, 07:54:06 AM »
I just returned from a trip SHOWED the pictures to my wife off the XD card through an external card reader connected via USB.  I did not transfer the pics or knowingly/willingly delete them.  Now I can not get the pics off the XD card to show up to transfer or view although when looking at the XD properties it shows half the memory of the XD being used there are no files to view.  Any thoughts?

I am not very tech but don't mind experimenting.  Should I download a product like F-Recovery?

I'm assuming that something went wrong and the file structure changed and isn't being recognized although the space is still being used up.

I have tried the reader again as well as the usb directly to the camera.  It is a Fuji A800 with a Kodak 512mb XD card.

Thanks

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Lost Photos on XD Card
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 09:34:29 AM »
Hop over to www.phototakers.com and scroll down to the Digital Camera forum.  This problem crops up a lot.  A quick search should give you several very good suggestions.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 01:50:11 PM »
Thanks Brad, it was a external drive error that corrupted the XD card.  The solution was to either rename the camera as a drive letter and run a recovery program or buy a new drive and run the recovery program.  I ended up doing the later and saved all the pics but one that was corrupt.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 07:54:40 AM »
Cool!  Glad you got your pics back.

Brad

p.s. - Now back them up on something in case your hard drive crashes.  'Tain't fun to lose a couple thousand irreplaceable images.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 11:26:26 AM »
Just to reiterate, memory cards are not infallible.  The last 1Gb SD cards I bought even had disclaimers that they would lose data over time.   sad
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"