Author Topic: I'm having a hard time wrapping my gorp around 16.5ft straight tusks.  (Read 2142 times)

onions!

From the BBC...

Greek mastodon find 'spectacular'
The remains of a prehistoric mastodon - a mammoth-like animal - have been found in northern Greece, including intact long tusks.
A Dutch scientist at the site, Dick Mol, says the find near Grevena should help explain why mastodons died out in Europe two to three million years ago.

The mastodon's tusks measure 5m (16.5ft) and 4m, Mr Mol told the BBC.

They are the longest tusks ever found on a prehistoric elephant-like animal. "It is spectacular," Mr Mol said.

There have also been rare mastodon finds in northern Europe, notably in England, Germany and the Netherlands.

Mastodons are thought to have first appeared about five million years ago and became extinct in North America about 10,000 years ago - much later than in Europe.
The animals were similar to woolly mammoths, but had tusks that pointed forwards, rather than spiralling upwards. Their teeth were also different.

The team of palaeontologists, including Professor Evangelia Tsoukala of Greece's Aristotle University in Thessaloniki (Salonica), began the excavation on 16 July and is planning to finish it on Wednesday.

Scientists will study the remains at a research centre in the Milia region of northern Greece, and there are hopes that some of the creature's DNA is still intact, Mr Mol told the BBC News website. Various parts of the skeleton have been dug up, along with teeth.
The animal's height was about 3.5m at the shoulder and it weighed some six tons. The mastodon feasted on leaves, unlike the woolly mammoth, which grazed.

Eventually it will go on display at a museum in Milia.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
It is thought that ancient greek mastodon bones were "evidence" of the existence of a race of giants
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
A Dutch scientist at the site, Dick Mol, says the find near Grevena should help explain why mastodons died out in Europe two to three million years ago.

Global Warming, no doubt  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Viking

Global Warming, no doubt  laugh
Don't be silly. Bush travelled back in time and shot all those animals with an evil .50 caliber level action rifle, the kind with a clip you can take out, and the folding thing that goes up.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
They also pulled another frozen woolly mammoth out of the Siberian permafrost last May. It's described as a young female calf in excellent condition.  They're hopeful that the DNA is usable for cloning purposes.  shocked

http://www.pinktentacle.com/2007/07/frozen-baby-mammoth-headed-to-japan/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

The Viking

They also pulled another frozen woolly mammoth out of the Siberian permafrost last May. It's described as a young female calf in excellent condition.  They're hopeful that the DNA is usable for cloning purposes.  shocked

Wonder if the meat is still edible?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Big deal.

A .600 Nitro should be more than sufficient.

Blog under construction

Stand_watie

• friend

I know I'm sick and wrong, but I wish they'd get off their lazy duffs and get to cloning already. I want to see a grown woolly mammoth before I die!
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim

Cloning an extinct animal that is extinct from climate changes and not human reasons is a bad thing!

Whats next using Dino DNA and bring back the T-Rex? Oh wait thats a movie.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Stand_watie

• friend

Cloning an extinct animal that is extinct from climate changes and not human reasons is a bad thing!

Whats next using Dino DNA and bring back the T-Rex? Oh wait thats a movie.

-C

I hope so. But I imagine even if they cloned one tomorrow it could never be full grown before I die  angry
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: I'm having a hard time wrapping my gorp around 16.5ft straight tusks.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 06:11:45 AM »
I'm having a hard time wrapping my gorp around 16.5ft straight tusks.

Sounds like you need a bigger gorp.......or a bigger gorp wrapper...... grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 12:12:42 PM »
Sounds like you need a bigger gorp.......or a bigger gorp wrapper...... grin

Nah, y'just gotta get the right size dingus on it, and it'll all work out.

~BakerMike

onions!

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 01:58:01 PM »
Sooo,if a gorp is a head/mind then a dingus is what?

I'm thinking I need a new theesawrooss. grin

BTW,a mammoth needs a home to Rome right?

Also from the BBC...

Siberian window on the Ice Age
By Adam Fowler
BBC Radio 4's Pleistocene Park 

A Russian biologist has been trying to recreate a fully fledged Ice Age eco-system in a remote corner of Siberia, complete, if possible, with woolly mammoths.

From the plane, the landscape was green - thousands of kilometres of seemingly empty tundra, forest and scrubland, punctuated by oxbow lakes, meanders and intricate waterways.
But from the small boat driven by Sergei Zimov along the Kolyma River, everything was blue.

The vast, cloudless sky was almost perfectly reflected in the water, which stretched for several kilometres between either bank and disappeared like a sea ahead.

Sakha - also known as Yakutia - is a huge Russian province in eastern Siberia, a place of large distances, long histories, and big ideas. Sergei Zimov's is one of the biggest.

Siberian 'desert'

At the end of the Pleistocene era - 10,000 years ago - woolly mammoths, rhinoceroses and tigers might have watched our progress from the riverside, and herds of horses, bison, musk-ox and Siberian antelope would have roamed the meadows and savannah to either side.

But now all I can see on the banks are dense willow shrubs, and the only predators are shifting clouds of mosquitoes waiting for me to disembark.
Ten thousand years ago, as the climate warmed, the grass gave way to moss and forest, habitats disappeared, and the large mammals went with them.

Or so the theory goes. But Sergei reckons climate had little to do with it and that all these animals would be thriving here now, if it hadn't been for man overhunting them to extinction.

New Pastures

And to prove his case, he is turning 160 sq km of Siberian "desert" back into the teeming wilderness of the late Ice Age, complete with grazing pastures and animals that have not been seen here for millennia.

Bison from Canada, then musk ox ... eventually we will have 20 mammals per square kilometre
Sergei Zimov 

If we had travelled north we could have reached the Bering Strait and the US in one day by boat. Instead, we are going south, and back in time, to "Pleistocene Park".
"Moose," Sergei shouts, cutting back the outboard and standing up in the boat. We have travelled a few kilometres upriver and two adults - re-introduced to the area as part of the experiment - and a calf watch back, unperturbed.

"Eat! Eat!" Sergei implores. The moose are key to his grand plan. The more they eat, the more the grass will come back, replacing the moss and providing more pasture for his herds.

Spring floods

So far there are fewer than 100 large mammals at work, making progress painfully slow, but Sergei hopes to increase the herds and within five years have 10 times as many, enough he believes to dramatically accelerate their effect on the habitat.

But it has been a wet spring. Much of the new grass in Pleistocene Park is submerged under water and Sergei's grand plan will fail if our own changing climate deprives his animals of food.
But he is optimistic that the reindeer, horses and moose that he has already brought to the park will survive.

"Next year or two: bison from Canada, then musk ox, then eventually we will have 20 mammals per square kilometre," he says.

We are on dry land now - very dry. It is the first time since arriving in this part of Siberia that the sound of my walking has been a rustle rather than a splosh.

What will the neighbours think of wolves, bears and Siberian tigers?

Sergei eventually finds a boggy patch and drops to his knees, grabbing great clumps of the wet moss that is so prevalent outside the park.
"See how easy it comes away. It has no roots so the moisture stays. The animals, their hooves, they disturb the moss and let grasses grow instead. The soil dries out, the animals deposit their fertiliser, the grass grows more; and more animals can graze."

Mammoth bones

Once the population of herbivores is dense enough, the last part of Sergei's plan is to re-introduce the predators. But what will the neighbours think of wolves, bears and Siberian tigers roaming near their land and settlements?

"OK, so one or two people will be killed, like in India," he replies, "but far more will die of alcohol in this place than from tigers."

There is one big flaw, though, and it is woolly with two great tusks. Where is Sergei going to get his mammoths? "Come," he says. "Back in the boat."

Four hours later, we reach a bend in the river where the bank sheds a five-metre thickness of Pleistocene mud and ice every spring.

I am stumbling through quicksand after Sergie who is picking up mammoth bones every three metres or so. He gives me some sludge to hold and tells me it is thawed mammoth dung.
This is where he brings Japanese scientists in search of preserved skin and meat, which, one day, might relinquish enough good quality DNA to recreate a mammoth.

Sergei has no real interest in their work, "but if you create a boy mammoth in a university, you need a girl mammoth, and they need somewhere to make baby mammoths. This will be their home."

Global impact

I returned from Pleistocene Park, exhausted, covered in mosquito bites and smeared with woolly mammoth poo. I thought I was going to see an experiment in the pursuit of academic knowledge about the extinction of mammals, but it was much more than that.

Sergei's grasslands could also have a significant role in slowing global warming. One of the dangers of future climate change is that it could melt the Siberian permafrost, releasing huge quantities of methane, a greenhouse gas far more potent than carbon dioxide, creating yet more global warming.

Grass insulates the permafrost better than mossy wetlands and so would slow the rate of thaw during any global warming that might be coming our way.

It is in all our interests to listen to Sergei Zimov. His grand vision could mean the mammoth will once again roam Siberia, and that humans might just be there to see it.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 03:09:15 PM »
Any pics of the tusks?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

onions!

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 03:56:24 PM »
That'd be helpful wouldn't it? smiley

since I can't figure out pic posting...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6913366.stm